Beach Sea Sun Zoom Test

[video=youtube;YomX9NNP4NQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YomX9NNP4NQ&hd=1[/video]

My Review of Canon PowerShot SX230HS Automatic Point & Shoot Digital Camera

12.1 Mega Pixel High Sensitivity CMOS Processor (great for low light shots without flash)
14X Optical Zoom + 4X Digital Zoom = 56X Max Zoom... GPS Locator... Map Utility... PhotoStitch for Panoramic Photos... iFrame Capable... and much more...
$248.00 on eBay... I've seen it other places for as much as $337.00+

This footage was shot without a tripod as you can obviously see, in the beginning it is somewhat shakey until I tucked my elbows in at my sides... The image stabilization does a good job of cutting down the shaking of the objects in the image at full zoom... When zooming from max telephoto zoom to max wide angle the movement of the lens seemed very smooth... the Optics of the Canon lens are incredible... and images on the 3.5 inch LCD viewing screen are crystal clear...

My camera settings were at 720p HD with Beach selected in the scene mode at full zoom for the clips in the video (Full 1080p HD is also available)... I used the Canon software that came with the camera to edit the transitions, add text, shorten video clips and convert the clips from .MOV to .avi format for smoother playback on my antique computer...

I'm very happy with the clarity, sharpness and color of the clips at full zoom... I'm also very pleased with the depth of feild in full zoom... (uploading to YouTube seems to have lightened the video a little from the original on my computer)

Cons are.... the zoom servo-motor noise carries over onto the soundtrack of the video clip when using the zoom while in the process of shooting video... The pop-up flash is in somewhat of an awkward location making it a bit difficult to hold on to the camera with your left hand and not interfere with the opening of the flash when powering up the camera... Battery life is shortened considerably when using the GPS Locator... (great camera to have if you want your friends secret fishing GPS waypoints, just shoot a photo of the fish when caught and you have the GPS settings)

My final thoughts are that I am extremely pleased with my choice in purchasing the PowerShot SX230HS... there are many more features that I haven't even begun to mention, because I'm still learning to use them... and for an automatic point & shoot camera the SX230HS still offers a wide variety of manual settings for you to experiment with and perfect your images... as a diver, I plan on purchasing the available underwater housing for my PowerShot which cost around $200...

Also it is recomended that your computer be equiped with any of the following
*OS - Windows 7... Vista Service Pack 1 & 2... XP with Service Pack 3...
*CPU - Pentium 1.3 GHz or Higher (photos) Core2 Duo 2.6 GHz or Higher (movies)
*RAM - 2 GigaBytes or more for Movies
(my computer lacks all of the above)

Thanks for watching and reading I hope my review helps with your decission if you're in the market and looking for an automatic point & shoot digital camera...

Last edited:
Very nice! Can't wait to get down and try out my cellphone--yes, cellphone--that takes 1080p HD video. It's got a 3.69mm 1:2.2 wide-angle autofocus lens, 8.0 MP, but you got me on the optical zoom.