Best border crossing between Peñasco and California?

Kea

Well Known Member
We're planning a trip to Los Angeles in the next few weeks. We'll be leaving mid-week. Google is having us cross at Mexicali / Calexico. It appears that crossing at Lukeville is out of the way. But would it be better overall given the border crossing times? Is there a better route in terms of roads / border crossing / traffic / other considerations? We do not have a Sentri pass, so we'll have to use the regular lanes.

On the way back, we'll be stopping in San Diego. Again, what is the best route / crossing? Is it better to cross southbound on a Sunday or a Monday?

(I did try searching the forum for previous suggestions, but most info was several years old.)

Thanks!

Idyllwild

Well Known Member
We have neighbors who swear by Algodones. The one time we crossed north there we had a 45 minute wait. Prior to getting our Sentri passes we’ve had plenty of 90+ minute waits at both San Louis Rio Colorado and Mexicali. Had a 45 minute wait at Tecate once. As you noticed the problem with Lukeville is you eventually reach the 8 well east of Yuma. If I had to do it tomorrow with no Sentri pass I would head to Mexicali and hope the east crossing was OK. Coming south is much easier. Leaving San Diego I would take the 8 to Yuma to make miles on a fast US highway with AAA coverage, then cut south to San Louis. Make an immediate left after crossing. Drive east on the main drag to the edge of town and watch for the well signed exit to the right. You will need 110 pesos for the tool booth on the nice road segment headings to the checkpoint near the very top of the gulf. Between El Golfo and Puerto Peñasco, there are occasional sections with awful potholes.

Old55

Well Known Member
We have neighbors who swear by Algodones. The one time we crossed north there we had a 45 minute wait. Prior to getting our Sentri passes we’ve had plenty of 90+ minute waits at both San Louis Rio Colorado and Mexicali. Had a 45 minute wait at Tecate once. As you noticed the problem with Lukeville is you eventually reach the 8 well east of Yuma. If I had to do it tomorrow with no Sentri pass I would head to Mexicali and hope the east crossing was OK. Coming south is much easier. Leaving San Diego I would take the 8 to Yuma to make miles on a fast US highway with AAA coverage, then cut south to San Louis. Make an immediate left after crossing. Drive east on the main drag to the edge of town and watch for the well signed exit to the right. You will need 110 pesos for the tool booth on the nice road segment headings to the checkpoint near the very top of the gulf. Between El Golfo and Puerto Peñasco, there are occasional sections with awful potholes.
And sand….

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
And Rattlers!

Saw two Coon-tails on Thursday afternoon crossing the road, one around four feet long and the other around two feet.

JJ

Kea

Well Known Member
Thanks for your help. I’m already aware of the sand on the coastal highway. Once saw an 18 wheeler nose down in the sand, front wheels further back than they were supposed to be & trailer bent in half.
And I’ll make sure to stay in the car and not meet any rattlers in person!

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
Kea,

Take note that the Algadones to San Lius road is the worst and most dangerous anywhere. It is barely wide enough for one car, endless huge potholes and no shoulder, just a twenty foot drop embankment. I would make the safe drive to Yuma then San Luis.

JJ

Old55

Well Known Member
The State Police have been running a checkpoint at the start of the coast highway outside Islas for about 3 weeks.
Penasco city cops were at the railroad tracks a week ago heading out toward the Mayan checking people coming from the south and yesterday were at the overpass checking incoming cars yesterday as I was heading back to Tucson. Had a scare near Y Griega on saturday morning that I wont share at this time.Be careful out there.