Best Margaritas in Old Port?

MIRAMAR

I've noticed more places using mixes for Margaritas. Does anyone know a place which still uses actual squeezed lime juice and has a home made Margarita?

rplarry

I've noticed more places using mixes for Margaritas. Does anyone know a place which still uses actual squeezed lime juice and has a home made Margarita?
I know for sure that Casa del Capitan uses freshly squeezed limes for their Margaritas, along with a generous amount of tequila. 1 usually does the trick and goes really well with the ceviche tostadas. Can't beat that view either.

Not sure what La Curva uses, but their margs are not sweet and also are pretty strong. Probably the best in town.

Like you, I cannot stand the overly sweet or syrupy margs that seem to be found in a lot of the restaurants along the Melecon. Boo Bar, which I really like, probably has the most syrupy margarita in town, IMO.

MIRAMAR

I agree w/ Capitan's Margaritas- they seem natural (at least the last time I was there about a year ago), so I'm hoping to find some place in Old Port which still makes it's own Margaritas. I don't care for Flavios- they seem to be out of a mix.

If you can get Jose at the BooBar to make the margarita, he doesn't use a mix (although there is the sweetener they all seem to use).

BTW, BooBar is closing from middle of July to middle of August. I wonder if any other places will also close.

Mentiras y Traición

Sonoran Goddess
Not in old port and not even open anymore, but the Oasis made them with fresh squeezed limes and a little Squirt...very good. Don't remember the bartender's name. Too many margaritas, I guess.

Street talk that Capones will be closed for some time also.
Saw a couple of my "favorite" people from Capones (those of you who know me personally will understand that).....over at another establishment on the Malecon last weekend....and they didn't sound like they were planning to close.

BTW, when Jose over at the BooBar has made mine, he's used Squirt, and a sweetener (Jarabe Natural), but not the pre-mix.

Agree on El Capitan, but if you're actually on the Malecon, El Perico Marinero used to make margs with limes, tequila, triple sec and a dash of Squirt. And you could get it to go while you're cruising the shops! I've given up on anything other than beer at BooBar. I've sent back drinks maybe 4 times in the last 10 years and 3 of those were at BooBar. Feel like an ass doing it, but Jesus, why even call this sugar water a cocktail?

Haven't been to Flavio's in forever but Sr. Amigo's makes a mean one. Hell, even the Friendly Dolphin has its moments.

And although I do like Caribean Bay, the new restaurant in the former Thirsty Parrot building, I will say the margs there are crap. I took two sips and let the rest turn to melted ice water. Oh, and the newish 3-story place? Not the Shark Bite but on the same side of the street...umm (will have to look at some recent pics), they had hammocks on the 3rd floor...Anyway, those were total crap as well.

the 3 story place is Iguana Banana.....haven't had the "pleasure" (????) yet....

La Curva has had it's share of "rips" on the forum, but they did have good margaritas (the "cadillac"???)

YES, Iguana Banana. The staff was very friendly, the place looks nice and all, but the only reason we hit it up is because there was absolutely no breeze, it was super hot and muggy and the restaurants on the ocean were all in direct sunlight, though still with no breeze. Thought the 3rd floor would help (but it didn't). Will definitely be back in the winter when the ocean breeze is a bit too chilly but I still want that great view.

YES, Iguana Banana. The staff was very friendly, the place looks nice and all, but the only reason we hit it up is because there was absolutely no breeze, it was super hot and muggy and the restaurants on the ocean were all in direct sunlight, though still with no breeze. Thought the 3rd floor would help (but it didn't). Will definitely be back in the winter when the ocean breeze is a bit too chilly but I still want that great view.
The BooBar had the airconditioning going last weekend!!!

Yeah, no $h*t, we walked up the stairs at BooBar and pretty much spun a 180 and left. Actually, nobody on the Malecon had their AC on the weekend before the 4th, even the Caribbean Bay. That was my favorite thing about the Thirsty Parrot last summer. You've gotta spend to make money, people! And if they were smart, those BooBar guys standing on the sidewalk would be mentioning the AC to everyone who passed by.

Anyway, thanks for the tip, Joe!

AZ ROB

Renee over at the Sunset cantina makes a great Margarita (so I am told I prefer my Tequilla in a much shorter glass) Last time the S.H.M.B.O. had one it was all fresh lime and a little fresca

RPChar

Best margarita in Rocky Point is at La Curva... yes, they use real limes. Not too sour, not too sweet. I always ask for Hornitos when I order a margarita, so then it is made from scratch, not premade mix crap. I also prefer mine on the rocks, not frozen, so it is not all ice. Just had one there a couple of weeks ago..... Delish....La Curva is also closed for month of August, FYI. Come Labor Day, I will be there.