Best place to buy fish

I'm sure you all will tell me the best fish to eat are the ones you catch yourself, but unless I want to go out on a chartered trip with my brother-in-law (and I don't think I could handle him in an enclosed space for that long), I have no choice but to buy it. Who is the best and what is the best? I have only bought fish at the fish market once and it was baaaad!!!! I buy shrimp all the time from one particular guy, and only him, but he doesn't sell fish--or at least he hasn't in the past. I plan on cooking it in a variety of ways--grilled, broiled, deep fried. Can someone help me out please!!!!!!!!!

I do have another idea...........since we are staying at PDO (5/14-5/20), I'll watch for you guys to come in and hit you up for the fresh stuff!!!!!!!!!! lol!!!!!!

Stuart, I know you have raved about Gamma's in the past--is that still one of the best places to eat out at?

Thanks for any input and, by the way, you guys do a fantastic job with this forum and it is greatly appreciated. Love the new look!

Jim

I like a place we call Mrs. Cleans. I don't know if it really has a name as it is run out of a house. It is behind La Curva and I have to hunt for it every time I go. IMO it is the best in town. I am sure someone else can give you better directions.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Been awhile since I've been to Gamma, but it used to be great for fried fish disco style (they fry the whole fish in a huge wok-type dish and you pick it apart and make your own fish tacos). Gamma is by no means glitzy and mostly Mexican folks.

I still like the Black Dog's Friday Night Fish Fry. Two big pieces of flounder, fries, coleslaw - and more if you want it (all you can eat). For like 7 or 8 bucks. It's not local fish. They fly in flounder from the east coast. Delicious. Oh, and you can get it grilled if you don't like it fried.

I catch my own so I seldom buy anything but shrimp at the fish market. Pays to shop around there. Cowboy was my usual favorite, but different vendors often have different fish, so shop them each and see what they have before deciding on anything.

Catch me coming in at Safe Marine and I'd gladly give you some fresh.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Pets Mart
You such a funny man!

Beachgirl to PetsMart kid: "Could I have a big bag of those feeder goldfish, about 100 of them?"
Kid to Beachgirl: "Oh, you must have an Oscar or something big. What are you feeding with these?"
Beachgirl to Kid: "My family."

tyler

I like pie.
Staff member
You such a funny man!

Beachgirl to PetsMart kid: "Could I have a big bag of those feeder goldfish, about 100 of them?"
Kid to Beachgirl: "Oh, you must have an Oscar or something big. What are you feeding with these?"
Beachgirl to Kid: "My family."
:eek3: :razz:

Petsmart-good one

Keep it up funny guys-I knew this question would get some kind of comical response!! I just really hate having to go from fish guy to fish guy to find the best. Honestly, can anyone suggest one or maybe two that might be decent ones to buy from?

By the way, thanks for the info on the Sonoyta short-cut. We'll give it a try.

playaperro

El Pirata
Keep it up funny guys-I knew this question would get some kind of comical response!! I just really hate having to go from fish guy to fish guy to find the best. Honestly, can anyone suggest one or maybe two that might be decent ones to buy from?

By the way, thanks for the info on the Sonoyta short-cut. We'll give it a try.
This guy used to be at the fish market, I don't know the exact name of the streets but I will try The mexican way, Ha, He is two blocks east of Pollo Lucas. So if you are going down the main drag south you would turn left a couple streets before the big
walkover. He is next to the guy that fixes and sells appliances.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
I'd put the food at Black Dog up there with Petsmart!!!! LOL
Woof-woof, baby! Friday Night Fish Fry is still okay in my book. Or at least it was when I had it last a trip or two ago.

Bryant's Sports Bar down the way cooks up a pretty good fish platter, too. We've taken fresh fish in and had them cook it up for us.

I'm not talking "great expectations" here - just a decent meal at a fair price.