Best Rocky Point Tacos?

Hey all, my wife and I just bought a place on Sandy beach, and one of the biggest things on the "to do" list are finding the best places to eat- starting with a good taco place. We were in town this weekend and drove down to Calle 13 and stopped at the first place on the right (can't remember the name)- we got carne asada and al pastor and they were both VERY underwhelming. I want to give them a break since its offseason and a bit late (~11pm), but even the one of the salsas we got smelled bad and we had to toss it- it was probably day or two old and being 'recycled'. The flavor of the meat was just so-so and the tortillas we not fresh. My wife is Mexican (from southern Sonora), and we both work in Mexico, so we both have high standards for our tacos- the meat, the flavoring, the tortillas, the salsa, and don't want to settle for 'tourist tacos'- we can tell the difference between the good and the 'bleh'. Can anyone recommend any places that fit the bill? It would be nice if it had the 'ambiance' factor of being able to sit down and eat in a clean place, but if its a roadside cart that happens to kick ass, that's welcome too. Thanks in advance for any tips!

Marty

El Gato

Following were from our January newsletter. I've had tacos at La Cita and they were the best I've had her. Haven't tried Oaxaqueña !but I love Mole - problem is they are only open for dinner according to the last Todd mentioned. I think the worst tacos I've had were at lunch at El Capitan - couldn't eat them after a couple of bites, and I was really hungry! La Cita is very clean, prices reasonable and staff are great. La Cita was originally at the old port and was a standby for the fishermen for breakfast.

Welcome to Sandy Beach - know you will love it and Penasco.

If you haven’t tried La Cita you might want to stop by. It is not a tourist place but has great food at reasonable prices. They do not take credit cards. Look for the store Aka Si! Just off Benito Juarez. La Cita should be on the road that runs perpendicular to Melchor Ocampo, which is the street that Aka Si! is on..

2013's Secret Spot-Shhh, don't tell too many people but, if you're looking for excellent down-home cookin', Mexican-style, I recommend the restaurant Oaxaqueña. They have the best authentic homemade mole' in town, mmmm just mentioning the word mole', makes you want to savor the chocolatey goodness. Oaxaqueña is a small family restaurant (don't take a large group or be in a hurry) which has a limited yet tasty menu of: picadas (mmmm), tamales wrapped in banana leaf, tacos dorados, enchiladas, and their signature dish of Chicken covered in mole' surrounded by black beans and rice. Damn, is it good! An order of picadas (3) and the chicken mole' and you're good to go for around 100-150 pesos, an outstanding value. The Oaxaqueña is located on Simon Morua (ACE Hardware street to the gringos), about half a block before ACE on the same side of the street. Ok, now you have one of the secret places that the agents of Long Realty Rocky Point eat. We have more, wink wink. Oh, we can't forget the 'adult' beverages now can we? It's bring your own. They usually have delicious homemade waters and juices, and offer the normal sodas, etc. I recommend bringing a bottle of fine tequila or wine to wash it all down. Bring Pesos or Dollars, as they do not take credit cards. Enjoy!
* Once you try Oaxaqueña, call me at 638-388-0009 MX or 602-281-4924 US, to let me know about your experience. Have a great new year!
Todd Lyons
Long Realty Rocky Point

GV Jack

Snorin God
I had the Shrimp (Breaded) Tacos at Sr Amigo at lunch last time down and they were great. The view and the folks are great too.

marybna

There is a place on a side street in Old Port. You get a big plate of veggies to put on your tacos. I found about it on this site. Some one will know the name of it.

mis2810

There is a place on a side street in Old Port. You get a big plate of veggies to put on your tacos. I found about it on this site. Some one will know the name of it.
You're probably talking about Viva Mexico. I love that place. I don't even like fish but their fish tacos are delicious!

mds-Welcome to our family! Also, if you're looking for good carne asada all rolled up into the most delicious burrito you will ever eat, there's a little stand with a couple red tables and chairs just down the street from you just passed the Oxxo on No Reeleccion on the way out of Sandy Beach. Always crowded with Mexicans (a good sign!) and lots of times sold out! $40 pesos for a giant burro. They also have chicharron in green salsa, carne deshebrada in red salsa and machaca.

The tacos at El Poblano further up the street on the north side at the corner with Benito Juarez are good also.

mis2810

Marty- I just sent you a private message. Not sure if there is still a rule around here that you have to have 5 posts before you can receive PM's?

BIG MAC

The following are my favorites for tacos:

Al Pastor - Either Asadero Guss on Calle 13 of Viva Mexico just off the Malecon
Breaded Fish - The Blue Marlin just off the Malecon
Grilled Fish - Mary's on the Malecon
Grilled Shrimp - Mary's on the Malecon
Chicken - Buy the chicken whole at Pollo Lucas and make your own
Asada - La Vaca Chenta by the Burger King

mondone

Whitecaps
Try the Govenor shrimp tacos at Mariscos El Conchal - Streetside outdoor palapa restaurant located next to Pollo Lucas on Benito Juarez Blvd (main street entering town). Lots of other great seafood dishes too. Beer is served here.

Tacos Brisas - on the corner of Melchor Ocampo and Sinaloa. Try the Sonoran style papas, but just 1 order for 2 people is more than enough. BYOB.

La Carreta - on Jos. Dominquez for my favorite Tacos al Pastor! BYOB.
[FONT=Georgia, serif]
[/FONT]

ben21

You're probably talking about Viva Mexico. I love that place. I don't even like fish but their fish tacos are delicious!

mds-Welcome to our family! Also, if you're looking for good carne asada all rolled up into the most delicious burrito you will ever eat, there's a little stand with a couple red tables and chairs just down the street from you just passed the Oxxo on No Reeleccion on the way out of Sandy Beach. Always crowded with Mexicans (a good sign!) and lots of times sold out! $40 pesos for a giant burro. They also have chicharron in green salsa, carne deshebrada in red salsa and machaca.

The tacos at El Poblano further up the street on the north side at the corner with Benito Juarez are good also.
I'm intrigued by those burritos but can't seem to find "No Reeleccion" on Google Maps... Which street is this?

mis2810

On Google Maps it's Calle 26 and Luis Encinas, just past the railroad tracks if you're driving towards the resorts on your left hand side. It used to be called Burros Noemi, bit now I think it's called Burros Longos. It's literally just a shack. Btw, they're closed on Wednesdays.

El Gato

On Google Maps it's Calle 26 and Luis Encinas, just past the railroad tracks if you're driving towards the resorts on your left hand side. It used to be called Burros Noemi, bit now I think it's called Burros Longos. It's literally just a shack. Btw, they're closed on Wednesdays.
They are really big - I could have shared one easily with DH.

ben21

Cool, that's what I figured it was... The new entrance to Sandy Beach is both a blessing and a curse. Nice because it cuts off 15 minutes of drive time, but also bad because I don't see as much of the city! Glad we have this forum, it always gives me new places to try when in RP

mis2810

I love the new entrance just for thar reason. Drive in, unload chairs, suitcases . . . run back out with the cooler to go to Super Ley and get food, a quick stop for a carton of beer, lunch or dinner at Pollo Lucas or burros. If we buy 4 burros we have leftovers for days! Yeesh, now I can't wait to get back down there! Hopefully Presidents Day weekend.

I'll be there same weekend. Whats this talk about a new entrance to sandy beach? I was down last year at the same time...what has changed?
I cant wait to get back. A year between visits is WAY too long.

I love the new entrance just for thar reason. Drive in, unload chairs, suitcases . . . run back out with the cooler to go to Super Ley and get food, a quick stop for a carton of beer, lunch or dinner at Pollo Lucas or burros. If we buy 4 burros we have leftovers for days! Yeesh, now I can't wait to get back down there! Hopefully Presidents Day weekend.

Full agreement with you on Asadero Guss. I always make it a point to get there at least once during my stay.
Your Pollo Lucas idea is also something I always make a stop for. Love that place.

The following are my favorites for tacos:

Al Pastor - Either Asadero Guss on Calle 13 of Viva Mexico just off the Malecon
Breaded Fish - The Blue Marlin just off the Malecon
Grilled Fish - Mary's on the Malecon
Grilled Shrimp - Mary's on the Malecon
Chicken - Buy the chicken whole at Pollo Lucas and make your own
Asada - La Vaca Chenta by the Burger King

And congrats mds your purchase on SB. Where did you buy? From what I hear, great things are coming once again for Puerto Penasco.
I hope all our RockyPoint dreams come true.

rplarry

Try the Govenor shrimp tacos at Mariscos El Conchal - Streetside outdoor palapa restaurant located next to Pollo Lucas on Benito Juarez Blvd (main street entering town). Lots of other great seafood dishes too. Beer is served here.

Tacos Brisas - on the corner of Melchor Ocampo and Sinaloa. Try the Sonoran style papas, but just 1 order for 2 people is more than enough. BYOB.

La Carreta - on Jos. Dominquez for my favorite Tacos al Pastor! BYOB.

I wholeheartedly agree with mondone's first 2 recommendations. (haven't tried La Carreta). The Governor Shrimp taco is fantastic, as well as their scallop tostadas.

Tacos Brisas is some of the best carne in town, IMO. As mentioned, the Sonoran papas AKA Papas Relleno are awesome. Baked potato with a boatload of carne asada on top, then layered with fresh grilled green chiles, then topped with that tasty gooey white Mexican cheese. Then wrapped in foil and grilled over mesquite. Comes with all the fixins and their hot red sauce and a very tasty green salsa. And, if not feeling adventurous with the papas, just get the tacos caramellos, just carne asada with a big slice of that white cheese, wrapped in foil and put on the coals until grilled & melted. So good.

Obviously by the time taken for this description, I am wishing I was down to partake right now!

You can't go wrong with Tacos Brisas or Mariscos El Conchal . Both places have high food quality standards. Never had even close to a questionable meal at either place.

Enjoy!

mis2810

I'll be there same weekend. Whats this talk about a new entrance to sandy beach? I was down last year at the same time...what has changed?
I cant wait to get back. A year between visits is WAY too long.
It's not really new, I guess. Can't remember exactly when they opened it. When you're almost into town, and you get to the turnoff for Caborca on the left, and Laguna Shores and the new highway to El Golfo on the right, take the right all the way to the stop sign and then turn left. You'll wind up at the original roundabout where the Circle K is and then just go up the hill or turn left at the ATV rentals, depending on which resort you're going to. They've put a military checkpoint in both directions at that turnoff also - it's been there since late July, so be prepared to stop there anyway.

MIRAMAR

Tacos Poblanos in Penasco for beef and meat tacos
Blue Marlin- shrimp tacos (w/ green sauce)
Best carne Asada Tacos Ever: El Serape in Sonoyta