Best way from Palm Springs, CA

mojo

We will be traveling to PP for the first time at the end of the month. I know of the direction through Gila Bend,etc. but I keep hearing of the new Coastal Highway 3 saving time, unfortunately, not too much information. Any advice on which route is better for first-timers. I have driven in other parts of Mexico before, so the driving is not a problem, just want to be sure it is a safe and well traveled/patrolled road. Any advice will be appreciated!

Mojo,
Gila bend is easier but if you want to cross at Yuma all you need to do is take a left on HWY 2. About three miles, just out of town you take a right to hook up with the toll road. The toll road costs about 9 dollars each way. When you get to El Golfo you will take a left just before town. (well marked). I would come back through Lukeville.

Rick
Cholla Bay

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
Mojo, if you want to enter at Mexicali, use the old Calexico port, take the road to San Felipe just as you get outside of Mexicali you will come to a freeway, take the one that says carretera Mexicali a San Luis, once you arive in San Luis (about 40 minutes) you will be on the street called Obregon in town, also it is highway 2,as pinto point says go right on hiway 3. Its about 2 !/2 hours from there to RP. If you want to come back that way but want to avoid long lines at the border, once you get back to San Luis, stay on Obregon just like you came, cross back into Baja and take the road to Algodones. When you cross here you will be back in California and usually no wait at all. The port at Algodones closes at 8 oclock. From Mexicali you will pay 3 tolls 16 pesos from Mexicali to San Luis, then when you arrive in San luis another 16 pesos and when you get to the toll booth for hiway 3 you will pay 94 pesos. Time wise from Mexicali to RP is about 3 hours and 15 minutes but sometimes there are long lines coming into Mexicali from Calexico. As Pinto Point also mentioned Lukeville is easier but maybe not faster or prettier. If you decide to go the Gila Bend way it is about 300 miles from Calexico (Mexicali) to RP, if you go the Mexicali way I think its only about 180 miles to RP plus a few miles of in town driving in Mexicali.

Last edited:

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
FYI, also on the back of your toll ticket, it explains that while you are on the portion of the highway where the toll was paid you are insured in case of accident, why they do it? I dont know, but paying the toll also covers you in an accident on the highway.