Biden Plays Hardball and Mexico Blinks ! Potential breakthrough

Old55

Mexican officials in Sonora say they are taking steps to help slow the unrelenting surge in unauthorized migrant crossings in the border’s Tucson sector, in hopes of a quicker reopening of the shuttered Lukeville, Arizona, port of entry. Read the story in the AZ Star. This is a big deal!

joanC

LOL...what can the State of Sonora do? Take control of all the migrants, and pay for their maintenance? Board them where?

You need to understand migration crossing international borders is a federal govt issue. If the 'hugger' AMLO decides to stop sticking it to the US in retribution for whatever wacko theory he's embracing this week, he can close his southern border. Within 24 hrs the single males from every hell-hole country in Africa, India, China, Israel, Syria, Yemen, etc, etc, will stop leaving their homes, and most will turn tail and return to their family. In the meantime, the AZ governor wimpette, Hobbs, is playing coy, sniffing the political wind.

Old55

Strategies include devoting more resources to checkpoints and “migration filters” in Sonora, where staff would try to redirect Arizona-bound migrants to shelters in Sonora. The government would also provide buses and create temporary shelters. There, migrants could request an asylum appointment through the Biden administration’s “CBP One” app and await their appointment south of the border.

That would hopefully reduce the number of people who resort to crossing the U.S.-Mexico border between ports of entry before surrendering to border agents, Martínez said.
The Sonoran mayors held a separate meeting on Monday with the Lukeville port director, Peter J. Bachalier, to discuss those strategies, Martínez said.

“Everybody is looking at what can we do to assist,” he said. “We’re hoping that it actually helps, if they see less people getting in. ... We want that border open.”

Old55

LOL...what can the State of Sonora do? Take control of all the migrants, and pay for their maintenance? Board them where?

You need to understand migration crossing international borders is a federal govt issue. If the 'hugger' AMLO decides to stop sticking it to the US in retribution for whatever wacko theory he's embracing this week, he can close his southern border. Within 24 hrs the single males from every hell-hole country in Africa, India, China, Israel, Syria, Yemen, etc, etc, will stop leaving their homes, and most will turn tail and return to their family. In the meantime, the AZ governor wimpette, Hobbs, is playing coy, sniffing the political wind.
Word gets back when the route gets shut down…..this is good. Biden unlike Trump shut the border in a strategic manner and is getting results it appears.

audsley

Mexican officials in Sonora say they are taking steps to help slow the unrelenting surge in unauthorized migrant crossings in the border’s Tucson sector, in hopes of a quicker reopening of the shuttered Lukeville, Arizona, port of entry. Read the story in the AZ Star. This is a big deal!
Old 55, only subscribers to the Az Daily Star at $13.99/mo can see this article. That's why I copied a very lengthy article in two consecutive posts on another thread.

All I really got from this latest story was that mayors of Caborca, Rocky Point and Sonoyta are meeting together about the situation. I don't consider that a big deal, just more ineffectual activity by ineffectual leaders. A big deal would be some Mexican military bases on the Mexican side in Sonora and Chihuahua, which Mexico would use to stop the cartels from smuggling anything or anybody. That assumes Mexico really does want to keep the border stations open for commerce and tourism, which they say they do. I say close all the border stations from San Diego to Brownsville until they agree to do that with the understanding that the entry points will close again if we don't see immediate and sustained progress. Valuable freight would just have to be shipped by sea, and we Americans might have to go without some things for a while.

Stop accepting migrants and they'll stop coming...

California, Seattle, New York - all used to be a beacon of what the US was and what it represented - what are they now. This is an attack on all things that are great about America - if you believe it's going to get better by allowing this flow to continue, then you are ignorant.

The only way to stop the deterioration is to stop the migrations and get the message out - when they are turned back and sit at the borders, the word will return and they'll stop coming. See what Mexico does when their border towns are filled with rejects and trash.

If this doesn't happen, then we're being destroyed from the inside out.... Comment how you like - but if you see it getting better by supporting this constant flow of asylum seekers and cannot see the lack of help we provide Maui, San Fran, NY, Seattle, etc.... Wait till the tents are in your front yard.... The ignorance is mind boggling... I feel for our children....

Word gets back when the route gets shut down…..this is good. Biden unlike Trump shut the border in a strategic manner and is getting results it appears.
Trump also was trying to stop the asylum seekers and fleecing of the US citizens... This "insurgency" was not an issue under Trump - for Christ's sake.... he built his presidency on this and building the wall.... Dems just rolling it all back. Where would we be today if big mouth Trump was still in office - I would gladly take his antics over our current administration's more classy approach. He was a jackass but, you have to appreciate the policies....

Maybe we can have them stay in Santo Tomas and build some camps there until they get through the process?

:)

Old55

Old 55, only subscribers to the Az Daily Star at $13.99/mo can see this article. That's why I copied a very lengthy article in two consecutive posts on another thread.

All I really got from this latest story was that mayors of Caborca, Rocky Point and Sonoyta are meeting together about the situation. I don't consider that a big deal, just more ineffectual activity by ineffectual leaders. A big deal would be some Mexican military bases on the Mexican side in Sonora and Chihuahua, which Mexico would use to stop the cartels from smuggling anything or anybody. That assumes Mexico really does want to keep the border stations open for commerce and tourism, which they say they do. I say close all the border stations from San Diego to Brownsville until they agree to do that with the understanding that the entry points will close again if we don't see immediate and sustained progress. Valuable freight would just have to be shipped by sea, and we Americans might have to go without some things for a while.
You are incorrect. This rather wokey article also mentions the ongoing underlying meetings with military and federal authorities to stop buses entering the area. My Caborca friend ( reporter) tells me it is already happening at the 2 bus stations. The Mayan Palace ownership are as connected as you can get. This is bad for us for sure but a smart move to pressure Mexico. Do you oppose it?

Old55

Trump also was trying to stop the asylum seekers and fleecing of the US citizens... This "insurgency" was not an issue under Trump - for Christ's sake.... he built his presidency on this and building the wall.... Dems just rolling it all back. Where would we be today if big mouth Trump was still in office - I would gladly take his antics over our current administration's more classy approach. He was a jackass but, you have to appreciate the policies....
Tax breaks for billionaires , thousands of unnecessary covid deaths , a international laughing stock in Putins pocket who never went this far….whats to miss?

Old55

Maybe we can have them stay in Santo Tomas and build some camps there until they get through the process?

:)
Well ok , I spent 25 years on my border smuggling route ranch rescuing the occasional injured crossers , having them sleep in my barn on cold nights , setting out water so my lines weren't cut…I would welcome your idea!

Old55

Stop accepting migrants and they'll stop coming...

California, Seattle, New York - all used to be a beacon of what the US was and what it represented - what are they now. This is an attack on all things that are great about America - if you believe it's going to get better by allowing this flow to continue, then you are ignorant.

The only way to stop the deterioration is to stop the migrations and get the message out - when they are turned back and sit at the borders, the word will return and they'll stop coming. See what Mexico does when their border towns are filled with rejects and trash.

If this doesn't happen, then we're being destroyed from the inside out.... Comment how you like - but if you see it getting better by supporting this constant flow of asylum seekers and cannot see the lack of help we provide Maui, San Fran, NY, Seattle, etc.... Wait till the tents are in your front yard.... The ignorance is mind boggling... I feel for our children....
And why do you think this isnt a good step?
My bet is you really just have a Fox News viewer level of knowledge of the issue…..be better informed and we can talk.

ernesto

What happened to Jungle? I would love to have a beer or 12 with that guy. I would bet he's a riot on a few coronas

audsley

You are incorrect. This rather wokey article also mentions the ongoing underlying meetings with military and federal authorities to stop buses entering the area. My Caborca friend ( reporter) tells me it is already happening at the 2 bus stations. The Mayan Palace ownership are as connected as you can get. This is bad for us for sure but a smart move to pressure Mexico. Do you oppose it?
I don't oppose what Mexican officials are doing right now, I'm just not much impressed by it. Whatever they do will be temporary.

I'd like to see them close their own southern border and then along the northern border put in military infrastructure on the Mexican side similar to what we have on our side or better. A Mexican border headquarters in Sasabe or Tubatama would be a fine idea plus a few more going east to Matamoros and west to Tijuana. Mexico needs stronger incentives to take back their country from the cartels. People making money off migrants and drugs won't give up easily, and hugs don't seem to be working. Maybe the threat of economic catastrophe would lead them to get serious and stay that way.

You say the Mayan Palace ownership is connected? Businesses legitimate and otherwise all over Mexico are "connected", and if you shut down ground transportation in and out of this country you'll have everyone's attention down there. The US would suffer a shock too, but I don't think a cross-continent border closure would need to last long before the message registered and we saw some changes.

If this sounds extreme, consider some other proposals we've heard such as US missile attacks on cartel fentanyl labs in Mexico and Ron DeSantis' suggestion last night that we shoot fentanyl smugglers on sight as they come across the border (like we know which ones they are as they come through the fence?) Compared to bombing our neighbor and extra-judicial executions, I think my proposal is pretty moderate.

Old55

I don't oppose what Mexican officials are doing right now, I'm just not much impressed by it. Whatever they do will be temporary.

I'd like to see them close their own southern border and then along the northern border put in military infrastructure on the Mexican side similar to what we have on our side or better. A Mexican border headquarters in Sasabe or Tubatama would be a fine idea plus a few more going east to Matamoros and west to Tijuana. Mexico needs stronger incentives to take back their country from the cartels. People making money off migrants and drugs won't give up easily, and hugs don't seem to be working. Maybe the threat of economic catastrophe would lead them to get serious and stay that way.

You say the Mayan Palace ownership is connected? Businesses legitimate and otherwise all over Mexico are "connected", and if you shut down ground transportation in and out of this country you'll have everyone's attention down there. The US would suffer a shock too, but I don't think a cross-continent border closure would need to last long before the message registered and we saw some changes.

If this sounds extreme, consider some other proposals we've heard such as US missile attacks on cartel fentanyl labs in Mexico and Ron DeSantis' suggestion last night that we shoot fentanyl smugglers on sight as they come across the border (like we know which ones they are as they come through the fence?) Compared to bombing our neighbor and extra-judicial executions, I think my proposal is pretty moderate.
Audsley this is a cannon shot across the Mexican bow….unlucky for us ….wanna buy a beach house?

And why do you think this isnt a good step?
My bet is you really just have a Fox News viewer level of knowledge of the issue…..be better informed and we can talk.
I stay away from most forms of media. It's poison for the sole..... you have sources you suggest? Honestly I don't even know why I do social media but I feel better as I can have conversations with real people... although many are toxic so I try to not let that ruin it for me.

My opinion comes mostly from what I see with my own naked eye. I travel quite a bit and listen to friends that travel and experience first hand what they share. I, like you I'm sure, have friends all over the country that share thier life experiences with me that sometimes bring these things to light and are based on very personal, real life knowledge.

This group is often a source of voices and opinions I've come to value; although lately, the noise is getting a little deafening.

I've always respected and regarded the depth of knowledge of some of the more senior members of the group. Also appreciate the distance of facebook influence as that can be toxic....

This topic is both disturbing/heartbreaking and polarizing for political reasons.

My basic belief is that the USA needs to stop allowing any inbound flow of migrants/asylum seekers. With our current failures in our major cities, how can we continue to turn a blind eye to the borders and welcome all that come here with no available place to go or sustainable plan to support them.

What's your thoughts on this and whens the last time you've been to any of these cities I've mentioned?

Last edited:
What happened to Jungle? I would love to have a beer or 12 with that guy. I would bet he's a riot on a few coronas
I haven't seen a post from him in quite some time. I've always enjoyed his posts, perspective and knowledge. I imagine he doesn't have to pay for many beers at all....

Reactions: ron

Old55

I haven't seen a post from him in quite some time. I've always enjoyed his posts, perspective and knowledge. I imagine he doesn't have to pay for many beers at all....
Thinking the same
I wonder if some but think he is too annoying to die. Seriously I hope he is ok.

Old55

I stay away from most forms of media. It's poison for the sole..... you have sources you suggest? Honestly I don't even know why I do social media but I feel better as I can have conversations with real people... although many are toxic so I try to not let that ruin it for me.

My opinion comes mostly from what I see with my own naked eye. I travel quite a bit and listen to friends that travel and experience first hand what they share. I, like you I'm sure, have friends all over the country that share thier life experiences with me that sometimes bring these things to light and are based on very personal, real life knowledge.

This group is often a source of voices and opinions I've come to value; although lately, the noise is getting a little deafening.

I've always respected and regarded the depth of knowledge of some of the more senior members of the group. Also appreciate the distance of facebook influence as that can be toxic....

This topic is both disturbing/heartbreaking and polarizing for political reasons.

My basic belief is that the USA needs to stop allowing any inbound flow of migrants/asylum seekers. With our current failures in our major cities, how can we continue to turn a blind eye to the borders and welcome all that come here with no available place to go or sustainable plan to support them.

What's your thoughts on this and whens the last time you've been to any of these cities I've mentioned?
Fake news poisons us all. Having a base cheat sheet of actual facts might be a starting point. Cato is a conservative think tank by the way: