Big Brother Watching!!!

Kenny

I was following that story today, and to tell the truth nothing surprises me anymore after what so many were just willing to throw away after 911. Lets see what kind of response this gets. What do you think of it Joe?

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I like Ernesto Munro and I think this is a great idea. Instead of responding they are being proactive....2 cents is all that was worth.

Kenny

I like Ernesto Munro and I think this is a great idea. Instead of responding they are being proactive....2 cents is all that was worth.
Did you look at the article that Joe posted about the iPhones/iPads Russ, and their abilities? Didn't mean to hijack, but Joe started it..LOL
"read with concern a recent report by security researchers that Apple's iOS 4 operating system is secretly compiling its customers' location data in a file stored on iPhones, 3G iPads and every computer that users use to "sync" their devices. According to the researchers, this file contains consumers' latitude and longitude for every day they used an iPhone or 3G iPad running the iOS 4 operating system — sometimes logging their precise geo-location up to 100 times a day. The researchers who discovered this file found that it contained up to a year's worth of data, starting from the day they installed the iOS4 operating system. What is even more worrisome is that this file is stored in an unencrypted format on customers' iPads, iPhones and every computer a customer has used to back up his or her information."

I was following that story today, and to tell the truth nothing surprises me anymore after what so many were just willing to throw away after 911. Lets see what kind of response this gets. What do you think of it Joe?
There is a fine line between privacy and security....but I don't think that was Apple's motivation with this "stunt"....

Initially they were even denying that it was happening. In this instance, my problem is that it was buried in the operating system, and Apple had not provided a method to opt out of the feature. (I understand that there is an "app" out there that will remove the file....but you have to "jailbreak" your iPhone to use it). Who knows what hooks are in the OS that may provide some type of upload of the info to Apple...maybe when someone logs into iTunes...and that information is user specific, not some general marketing survey! If it is being uploaded to some servers....it is a complete invasion of privacy.....just as bad as inbedding a chip in each one of us and tracking our movements. But... I don't own an iPhone or iPad!!!

Does anyone remember the Sony fiasco with the rootkit.....denial, and no way to cleanly remove it????

Did you look at the article that Joe posted about the iPhones/iPads Russ, and their abilities? Didn't mean to hijack, but Joe started it..LOL
"read with concern a recent report by security researchers that Apple's iOS 4 operating system is secretly compiling its customers' location data in a file stored on iPhones, 3G iPads and every computer that users use to "sync" their devices. According to the researchers, this file contains consumers' latitude and longitude for every day they used an iPhone or 3G iPad running the iOS 4 operating system — sometimes logging their precise geo-location up to 100 times a day. The researchers who discovered this file found that it contained up to a year's worth of data, starting from the day they installed the iOS4 operating system. What is even more worrisome is that this file is stored in an unencrypted format on customers' iPads, iPhones and every computer a customer has used to back up his or her information."
Sorry if my post was a hijack.....wasn't able to decipher playa's link...and went off the Title to the thread...."Big Brother Watching"....

BTW...there was a link in the article I posted that showed the type of info....the writer showed the locations on a map, zooming in somewhat (but not too much).....I don't know what the accuracy for the iPhone/iPad are....but even a 50 foot. accuracy could show you being somewhere where you should not have been!!!!

Last edited:

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I dont want an iphone or ipad so I guess I am out of the woods. What about banks watching where you go based on your credit card and debit card expenditures? Cash for this old man