Bird Island Charter

I've been a voyeur on this forum for quite a while and have gotten a lot of useful information! And you all seem like a friendly bunch. I'm hoping someone can help me out.

We're going to be heading back down around Sept 28th and I was looking to book a charter to Bird Island for snorkeling / kayaking on Sunday 9/29. I've seen Del Mar Charter's recommended, but they haven't returned my emails. Today I noticed a post (from someone else) on their FB page that indicated that they are dealing with some personal issues right now, and may not be available for Charters. Does anyone on this forum have any other information about Del Mar, or possible recommendations for another Charter service? There will be 5 - 6 adults in our group. Thanks!

Luna

Sea Shell Goddess
Something we have always wanted to do but do not think they will allow my big doggie on the boat ;)

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I love Mark and Barb also. I use EcoFun for my group events. They have a 65 foot Catamaran that seats about 90 people and they go to the island a lot you can contact them at [email protected].

Talk to Maru and you will be very happy on this trip.

joester

2 salty dawgs
it's very fun out there, but be sure to always snorkle in at least pairs - the current can be very strong aroung Bird Island, and can take you far from the mother ship in just a few minutes.

When we went out last year on Memorial weekend (an annual event to help raise money for Barb and Mark's wonderful "Adopt-a-Classroom" program), we had the very exciting pleasure of coming across a Whale Shark!! Some of the guys actually got in the water and swam with it (we have video to prove it!!). It was soooo much fun....you will have a fantastic time, even if you don't encounter something so spectacular!! Another cool thing about Bird Island is that during certain times of the year, when the sun is shining on the island just right, it "takes on" different images...one time it looked like a huge pirate ship, another time like a space rocket. It's so cool to sit on the beach and watch it "change"!!!!

How cool! We've been thinking about doing this for a while, so I'm glad we finally got our act together to get something set up for this trip. We're all really looking forward to it! One other question - how rough is the water usually? I get motion sickness - should I be worried? I'm planning on taking some dramamine or something before hand just in case.

Luna

Sea Shell Goddess
One other question - how rough is the water usually? I get motion sickness - should I be worried? I'm planning on taking some dramamine or something before hand just in case.

Just wanted to share that my hubby gets very bad motion sickness - Dramamine works, but he needs to take it several times a day. He now uses a combination of Bonine and Ginger which he only has to takes once a day. It is also a lot cheaper!

Landshark

Fresh ginger root liquified, or chopped and smashed, depending on where you're doing it has saved the day for me. Mix as much as you can handle with water, 7-up, or whatever you have and drink it. It's tough to get it down and keep it down when you are sick, especially if it's lumpy,:eek:but it's worth it because it works. Give it about 10 minutes and you'll be ready to go!

How rough the water is just depends on the weather that day. I've only been out there twice, and each time it was fine. But I don't get motion sickness, thank goodness. I kinda like it when the boat's rockin' and rollin' a little bit....it makes standing on the bow that much more fun!!!!! If the sea is too rough, they won't take you out....that generally doesn't happen this time of year, but you never know what Mother Nature has up her sleeve!!

Luna

Sea Shell Goddess
Fresh ginger root liquified, or chopped and smashed, depending on where you're doing it has saved the day for me. Mix as much as you can handle with water, 7-up, or whatever you have and drink it. It's tough to get it down and keep it down when you are sick, especially if it's lumpy,:eek:but it's worth it because it works. Give it about 10 minutes and you'll be ready to go!

Both Bonine and Ginger come in tablets. We also keep Ginger Ale handy just in case.

An update on our trip. Sadly it didn't happen. We booked the About Time through Barb, and were supposed to head out last Sunday morning at 7AM. When we got to the marina, we were greeted by the Captain and told that the boat had an engine failure the night before and they had to wait for parts from Phoenix. So, we'll have to try it another trip.