Blue Fin is bad

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Considering Japanese buyers are waiting at the docks and pay upwards of $15,000 for a single, fresh-caught fish, one bluefin tuna can make or break a fishing season for a lot of the East Coast commercial guys. Not mentioned in the article - Japan consumes 80% of the bluefin tuna caught in the entire world.

The bluefin is a goner. ICCAT just reduced the take quota, but many scientists want to ban international trade in bluefin completely and go with a zero take until stocks recover.

Smart move on Mitsubushi's part to stockpile as much as they can. They'll make a killing on it as demand soars and there are no more fish. If the Mexicans were smart, they'd start farming totuava as a substitute. Endangered species always taste the best!
:rofl:

jerry

man i miss the rock lobster dinners we used to get in Rp in 1973. Two big tails grilled and served with garlic butter,rice and beans and a salad for 6-8 bucks.
So they get fished out and here we are today eating last years mexican shrimp (the thai farms are kicking ass) served on the sly in most Tucson restaurants.
Fish Sticks anyone?

Jim

Once about 10 or 12 years ago some out of the area friends and I were here in town and noticed a sign in the Malecon for all you can eat crab legs for like $4.00 or so. We went in and ordered only to find out that we could eat pretty much 24/7 with the toothpick needed to get the meat out without ever filling up. Very tasty but tiny little morsels. We didn't stay long.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Crab can be real hit or miss in Rocky Point. Living in Maryland spoiled me - nice fat Chesapeake blue crabs by the bushel basket. Several years back, I noticed live blue crab at the fish market and bought several dozen. I had to continually wipe the drool off the steering wheel on the way home. Broke out my seafood steamer and Old Bay seasoning and cooked 'em up. What a disappointment! There was virtually no meat in the crabs. What meat was there was mushy and stringy. Nothing like East Coast blue crabs. I wrote it off to lesson learned. Maybe it was the wrong time of the year, I don't know, but I've never seen virtually meatless crabs like that before.

Best crabs I've ever had in Mexico? Old Mill Inn, San Quentin, Baja. Heaping plate of rock crab claws and fresh clams. Fantastic!