Boarder crossing, everything we need to know.

Greetings,

We are heading down to RP in just a few short months. I just want to know what to expect. I think I have read everything possible but want to hear it from you guys. Is everything clearly marked to get to RP? How many of you have been stopped and searched? Have any of you had anything confiscated? I read to keep a copy of your drivers license in your wallet and not hand over your original in case they keep it. I just want to make sure we are prepared for anything. Thanks in advance!

Miakko

Just Mexican auto insurance and passport. They never ask to see your driver's license. The route to RP is clearly marked and is basically a straight shot from the border. Once you cross, you'll drive thru Sonoyta (follow the speed limits there and in downtown Ajo AZ very carefully). After Sonoyta it is a great smooth road all the way to RP. You'll almost be in downtown RP when you hit the military checkpoint outside of town.

Since RP is in the economic free zone, is there a fee for the car based on the year?

Anything I need a heads up on at the military checkpoints?

mrnoyb

The checkpoints are for everyone's safety. Be cooperative & allow the soldiers to do their job. They're there to interdict the flow of drugs and arms. Be courteous & if possible, offer a bottle of water. You shouldn't have any problems at the military checkpoints.

GV Jack

Snorin God
Nomadgirl, here is an article I wrote to help first timers on their trek to Rocky Point. It might help you to set up your mind set for your journey.

Believe me, the journey is well worth it.

LET

El Gato

One set of our kids arrived yesterday. They had gotten the green light but when the guard saw they full SUV he motioned them to stop. Had Greg open the back - took a fast look and oked it - they did ask to see his registration. Greg said the guys at the military checkpoint were very nice and polite. It is an easy drive. Best to drive during the daytime as at night it is hard to see animals on the road.

Thanks for all the information.

@GV Jack, the article was great.

If I remember correctly I get our visas on the Mexico side, to the right?.

Roberto

Correct about the Mexican visa. Pass the inspection area, pull to the center or the right. Walk back and on the left side is an office. Step inside with passports in hand and tell them what you want. The will tell you what to do. You will walk across the inspection area to BAnercito to pay, then back to get the FMM. Easy Peasy.

garyd

My son just came down to Cabo by way of the Baja yesterday. Two days travel, no inspections, no problems.

playaperro

El Pirata
Correct about the Mexican visa. Pass the inspection area, pull to the center or the right. Walk back and on the left side is an office. Step inside with passports in hand and tell them what you want. The will tell you what to do. You will walk across the inspection area to BAnercito to pay, then back to get the FMM. Easy Peasy.
No mexican visas needed in the free zone, you will never be asked for one unless conducting something ridicules or going deep south.

If you do have pets, you need rabies documentation -- and the rule is ANNUAL boosters, unlike the 3-year duration in Arizona. When we have been checked for documentation for our pets, they also asked for (and photocopied) our drivers license.

Miakko

They also want to take a picture of your pets now as well:)

If you do have pets, you need rabies documentation -- and the rule is ANNUAL boosters, unlike the 3-year duration in Arizona. When we have been checked for documentation for our pets, they also asked for (and photocopied) our drivers license.

jerry

Crap...Yearly shots will give your animals cancer ....but hey our vets now seem to think they need gold tolet paper holders just like the over paid doctors own.

El Gato

No mexican visas needed in the free zone, you will never be asked for one unless conducting something ridicules or going deep south.
If you are going to set up a bank account, electric service, etc., I believe you usually need a Visa that you can get at the border - ask for 6 month duration on it. At least we did when we first moved down here. We also needed it when we applied for the old FM2 visa. We live here full time so requirements a little different from those that are down for a weekend.

Crap...Yearly shots will give your animals cancer ....but hey our vets now seem to think they need gold tolet paper holders just like the over paid doctors own.
Agree with your aversion to inoculations. My pets have about a .001% chance of getting Rabies, even in Mexico, based on their comings, goings and supervision. I HATE having to comply with the one-year Mexico rule which is also common in US states that have higher incidence of Rabies. It is harmful if you do and apparently, universally harmful if you don't.

marybna

I came back today and I was the only car at the border. There was a lot of traffic going down. Mon and Tuesday was pretty quiet at Bella but it seems a lot of people came in on Wed.