border crossing - anything new since last year?

joester

2 salty dawgs
we'll be joining the people driving down Wednesday to RP - passing thru Lukeville on the way.
Is there much of anything new we need to know about the Mexico side of the drive? Been doing the Thanksgiving trip for a number of years - but unfortunately, not much other than those trips.
planned stops at duty-free store, then Super Ley and Seafood Products.
Many thanks - see you in 2 days!!!

joester

2 salty dawgs
thanks - I looked over the link, but didn't see anything listed about cooked chicken in gravy, that should be ok, right?

brokenwave

Well Known Member
When driving thru Sonoyta, drive 25mph to keep the cops away. They were very active our last trip down singling out US cars.
If you do get pulled over, demand to pay at the court.

MIRAMAR

Well Known Member
I would hide the cooked chicken or turkey in gravy. It's really specific about being smoked, not just cooked.

Landshark

Well Known Member
Or hide the turkey under a case of beer! Worst case scenario is they are going to seize a $15 turkey, and hopefully feed the homeless with it!

gord

Ok, I have done some serious research on this matter, and can recommend the deli in the IGA at Ajo as having the worlds best ice cream...made on site. Last time I was through there was June 2016 and this was still true at that time. Of course I have to take new samples each time I am there.

joester

2 salty dawgs
was a slow entry last Wednesday - took an hour to get South thru at Lukeville - but only 6 minutes coming home Monday - so an ok tradeoff. picked up a box of U10 and U12 at Sea Products - those should last thru the Holidays!
had a Thanksgiving dinner that couldn't be beat at Val + Chucks, and a breezy day on the water Saturday, and hid out at Tucson beach by Pelican rock.
Another wonderful trip that ended too fast - we'll have to come down in the spring.
thank you all!!!!

The Man

Went north the other day, and when we got to the border, realized I had no passport.
US border let me thru, but said after the first of the year there will be a $500 fine.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
That new rule was proposed in April 2016, I don't think they have actually passed it yet. I did a search and nothing about enacting it.
The agent might have been blowing smoke at you. I keep a photo of my passport on my phone just in case I forget it as a back up.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Yeah the fine will work great. "Officer I don't have the money" officer "OK then you can't come back to the USA" "uhmm, you can't legally block my access" never gonna happen.

Southbeacher

Well Known Member
Yeah the fine will work great. "Officer I don't have the money" officer "OK then you can't come back to the USA" "uhmm, you can't legally block my access" never gonna happen.
Yeah, "fine" is code for "We've been told to make returning the The States miserable -- one way or the other -- for the noncompliant."

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I've never heard about a fine. I have a little drawstring bag that I keep the passports and the trailer keys in. So, we never forget it. Works like a charm!