BORDER CROSSING QUESTION - Lukeville vs. San Luis?

I'm planning on attending the RV Show in Quartzsite and then traveling to Puerto Penasco. I plan to stay with an RV group in both places. However, the "planner" is leading the group from Quartzsite to Organ Pipe National Monument for an overnight and then crossing through Lukeville the next day. I like the group, but the planner is going to meet and talk about two "advantages" - one being using his insurance agent of choice, and the other is "why" crossing at Lukeville is preferred over San Luis. Can you tell I'm a "do my own research and make my own decisions kind of girl?" LOL

I've crossed several times in Lukeville, but never in San Luis. However, being closer to Yuma it seems silly not to use that crossing and then traveling on the coastal highway. I *think* the time is approximately 2 1/2 hours from San Luis to Puerto Penasco. I read that entering Mexico through San Luis involves minimum wait time, but sometimes wait times are long coming back into the United States.

I know there's a toll involved, but if it's a more scenic drive and less truck traffic it's worth it. Has anyone traveled the coastal road? If so, do you know the approximate cost of the toll? Is it safe? (driving alone) Thanks for any and all responses.

The toll is about 8 dollars. the drive down the coast is awesome, you just need to watch out for sand drifts on the road. I travel it often coming in through Mexicali and would not go any other way.

YumaJames

I live in Yuma and travel from Yuma to PP via San Luis all the time. Usually there's no wait crossing into San Luis, unless you cross on a Friday afternoon/evening, then you can expect a 30-60 minute wait getting in. Expect a wait from 30 minutes to 2 hours crossing back into the US through San Luis, longest waits are Sunday afternoons/evenings. Like PintoPoint said, the toll is about 8 dollars each way, double that if you're pulling a trailer. Road from San Luis to PP is great, odd pothole, but overall the road is good and its a 2 1/2 hour drive from San Luis to PP. Actually its not much of a coastal road as you'd expect, the road only goes by the ocean a couple times around El Golfo, otherwise most of the time you're driving through barren desert, in my opinion the road through Lukeville is more scenic. Usually hardly anyone on the road. In my opinion if you're travelling from Quartzsite I don't know why they plan on going through Lukeville, that's gonna take alot longer, I'd go through San Luis. If you're coming from Quartzsite via Hwy 95 as you enter Yuma take the Araby Road exit, and keep following Araby Road south as it takes you right onto the new highway that takes you right to San Luis.

Bravo25

Just a suggestion, cross at Lukeville going down and San Luis when returning. That way you can see Organ Pipe which is a nice campground. The next morning, on the way to Rocky Point, you can stop at the Pinacate entrance at the little village of Nayarit It's about 60 miles from Lukeville to Rocky Point and Nayarit is about half way. I wouldn't take a motorhome in there, it's about 50 miles of dirt road. If you are towing a car just unhook it and use it. There are several volcanic craters (El Elegante, Cerro Colorado, etc) to see and lava fields. It will take several hours. From there, about half way to Rocky Point (15 miles) is the entrance to the Visitor Center on the west side of the road. One entrance fee (just a few dollars) is good for both places. There is a good paved road back to the visitor center. This should take about an hour or two. When you leave Rocky Point to go home take the toll road to San Luis. And one more thing, don't cross the border at Lukeville into Mexico on a Friday or Saturday or back into the US on a Sunday or Monday. The lines can be quite long.

Crowbar1

http://bwt.cbp.gov/

you can check border wait times at this link. returning through lukeville on a sunday or Monday is not really a problem as long as its not a major holiday weekend or you plan the times right. for example, don't leave RP for the border at 10 to 11am as that is when everyone is checking out of the condos and driving back to AZ.

I know the stretch between lukeville and RP is usually patrolled by the Green Angels (complimentary car help service for those that break down) but I have never driven the Coastal Road before so I don't know about that one.

Also an idea to get insurance for your vehicle: If you have access to a printer you can go to the AAA web site, buy your insurance and print your own policy.
aaa.com

You didn't mention which RV park you are headed to but my favorite is The Reef. Its located at the end of sandy beach past the condo's and they have the largest RV spaces of any RV park in RP.
thereefrvpark.com

I actually live in New Mexico and want to take the fastest (and safest) route from where I'll be in Quartzsite. It seems like I'd be saving a lot of time by crossing at San Luis and taking the coastal road. I've been to Puerto Penasco before and have always entered (and exited) at Lukeville. However, I'm going directly to Puerto Penasco after the RV show in Quartzsite. When I leave I'll be going through Lukeville.

As for "where I stay" it's always Concha del Mar. It's $200.00/month for dry camping. However, they have showers, Wi-Fi at the office, and a dump and water. If you need propane Edgar will call a truck for you. He also delivers by truck reverse osmosis water for a minimal fee. Since I have solar panels, this works out well for me. It's right on the beach and next door to Playa Bonita Hotel and RV park.

As for insurance I use Rosie (Puerto Penasco local) and buy a driver's license liability policy that covers my RV and tow car. The policy is sent via an e-mail attachment.

YumaJames

If you want the fastest route from Quartzite to Puerto Penasco then in my opinion San Luis is the way to go. The toll highway from San Luis to Puerto Penasco is good, I've travelled it a zillion times and have never had a problem. Sounds like you've been through Lukeville before, going through San Luis will be new and fun for you.

Landshark

San Luis and the Coastal Highway is the logical and fastest route but if your traveling with a group why don't you just stay with the group? We know there's safety in numbers and if you break down you'll be really glad you stayed with them. Concerning insurance; if you are involved in an auto accident everyone goes to the police station to determine fault, liability, and financial responsibility. The ability to call a local agent to come to the rescue as you are being interrogated behind closed doors is priceless in my book.

playaperro

El Pirata
San Luis and the Coastal Highway is the logical and fastest route but if your traveling with a group why don't you just stay with the group? We know there's safety in numbers and if you break down you'll be really glad you stayed with them. Concerning insurance; if you are involved in an auto accident everyone goes to the police station to determine fault, liability, and financial responsibility. The ability to call a local agent to come to the rescue as you are being interrogated behind closed doors is priceless in my book.
Probably sell out to the highest bidder is your both covered by the same agent, your thoughts?