Border Delays?

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
If there is a stop sign out, I always stop. If they are standing next to the cones/road I slow way down and usually get a 'keep going' wave. The last thing I want to do is not stop when the police/marines/national guard/federales/cartel want me to stop.
Dude, you're misunderstanding me. Are you aware of the area I'm talking about? It's about 47 feet past the Mexican Aduana Inspection where you get red or green light. It's where you can get tourist information and the ONE ARM GUY asks for money.... It's a stop sign next to some orange cones where the Mexican National Guard kind of MULE around standing there uninterested. What I'm saying is, they HARDLY ever ask you to stop. Most of the time the national guard solders are not even standing near the cones, nor are they actually making eye contact with you, gesturing you to stop so they can ask you questions and or search your car even though ADUANA just did the exact same thing to you 47 feet previous!!!! If you're even moderately observant you would see the correlation that I'm trying to describe. Again, just this year. 10 trips. The only time we were actually stopped by the national guard at the orange cones 47 feet past the customs inspection was last May or June. We crossed at like 1030pm at night. Got the red light. Aduana asked about dog papers and the registration to my jet ski. After everything was reviewed we proceeded 47 feet to the orange cone where THIS TIME the guys gave a shit and they gave me the NON VERBAL command with his hand to stop. I put truck in park. The national guard solder told me to turn engine off. Then he was asking me to step out I assumed so they could do their inspection but right as I opened the door and swung my PARAPLEGIC skinny legs out of the truck I said something about being handicap and he saw my hand control for the gas and brake and then said NO WORRIES in spanish and they let us go. We then did the ANTI THEFT crawl at 18mph past where they usually sit (bien viaje sign). The 80kph sign was about 30 yards in front of me and as I started to accelerate the MUNI cops came over that knoll... They IMMEDIATELY lit me up. I mean it was hilarious! I turned to my girlfriend and I was like really?! WTF?! I were still only going 40kph and I swear to god they pulled me over and the 80kph sign was 2 feet in front of my bumper.

For all the OG forum posters, take a WILD GUESS how fast they said I was going? Remember the number the gun was always set at????

LOLOLOLOL sure enough.... 61!!!!! LOLOLOLOL It's 1045pm, no other Americans bringing up there rear. The muni cops saw one last MEAL before they would have to wait for the next day... WRONG GUY!!! I argued the shit out of it. No chance I was giving them money!!! F THAT!!! My girlfriend was so pissed. She was almost crying because she tells me that I have too much nerve. Arguing with Mexican police at 11pm at night. She was scared they were going to do something to us because I was being so stern with these guys. My ego vs theirs. Sorry. I won. They let us go. Listen, if I do something wrong and I know it. I will pay the fine. I'm not giving anyone my money if I didn't do anything.

The whole point of me saying any of this is that some people just can't help themselves. Don't volunteer to put yourself in a position to get money taken from your possession. The other 9 trips this year we crossed, red light every time now, talk to aduana and go. I look over at the NAT Guard and UNLESS SPECIFICALLY instructed to stop I drive right by them like there is no cones. I'm not going to VOLUNTEER to put my GF and I in an unnecessary situation with people who have been reported to the US EMBASSY for theft of travelers. Neither will I go any faster than 18MPH. I don't put myself in a position to LOSE. This is a GAME. I don't LOSE.

Obviously if you read the forum enough you can read where I have CLEARLY stated that you should ALWAYS stop at any checkpoint you encounter. That advice needs to be taken seriously as it could mean your life. That is NOT the same thing as these cones they have set up next to the tourist information for the nat guard.

Furthermore, let me ask you this. There is also the same cones and stop sign in the same general 10 foot area where they stand but for vehicles going NORTH. Right before you cross the international line into USA. How many times have you ever stopped for that one? I have seen Americans pulling up to that to stop and roll down their window for the Mexican Nat guard right before crossing into USA. Why would you do that? Makes absolutely no sense.

Do you stop at the stop sign every time you enter/exit Cholla Bay too?! LOLLLLLLLLLLLL I swear.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Well you are all old hands and in the know. Have a little empathy. The old guy prolly had to pee bad !! For the uninformed it can be worrisome. An old guy from Shamokin Pa. ain't used to seeing men in uniform armed with automatic weapons standing in the middle of a highway. I recall way back when the airline hijacking started, getting off a plane in Rome to face a guy with an Uzi. Got my attention real fast.
This isn't in the middle of the road. In fact you have to actually turn your steering wheel and go out of your way to pull up to this cone set up thing that I have NEVER seem them care about!!! I mean dude. You have to go OUT OF YOUR WAY to get harassed. Or you can literally just keep crawling straight past the tourist information and then boom check your speed at 18mph and start your Sonoyta crawl because you're now on the muni street.

Same morning coming down there was an asshole who apparently thought I was some kind of moron for going 35 in a 35 entering Gila Bend but I guess that's just my 35 years of Gila Bend cops experience talking. Guy goes flying around me doing about 50 in a 35 and no more than 37 seconds later a DPS trooper comes flying out of a side street and pulls the guy over before the Burger King. Let's be honest. Some people are just not CONSCIENTIOUS thinkers. How many people are in the moment every moment? Lots of DAY DREAMING out there.... that and everyone is on prescription medication.

Queen of Kings

Well Known Member
Dude, you're misunderstanding me. Are you aware of the area I'm talking about? It's about 47 feet past the Mexican Aduana Inspection where you get red or green light. It's where you can get tourist information and the ONE ARM GUY asks for money.... It's a stop sign next to some orange cones where the Mexican National Guard kind of MULE around standing there uninterested. What I'm saying is, they HARDLY ever ask you to stop. Most of the time the national guard solders are not even standing near the cones, nor are they actually making eye contact with you, gesturing you to stop so they can ask you questions and or search your car even though ADUANA just did the exact same thing to you 47 feet previous!!!! If you're even moderately observant you would see the correlation that I'm trying to describe. Again, just this year. 10 trips. The only time we were actually stopped by the national guard at the orange cones 47 feet past the customs inspection was last May or June. We crossed at like 1030pm at night. Got the red light. Aduana asked about dog papers and the registration to my jet ski. After everything was reviewed we proceeded 47 feet to the orange cone where THIS TIME the guys gave a shit and they gave me the NON VERBAL command with his hand to stop. I put truck in park. The national guard solder told me to turn engine off. Then he was asking me to step out I assumed so they could do their inspection but right as I opened the door and swung my PARAPLEGIC skinny legs out of the truck I said something about being handicap and he saw my hand control for the gas and brake and then said NO WORRIES in spanish and they let us go. We then did the ANTI THEFT crawl at 18mph past where they usually sit (bien viaje sign). The 80kph sign was about 30 yards in front of me and as I started to accelerate the MUNI cops came over that knoll... They IMMEDIATELY lit me up. I mean it was hilarious! I turned to my girlfriend and I was like really?! WTF?! I were still only going 40kph and I swear to god they pulled me over and the 80kph sign was 2 feet in front of my bumper.

For all the OG forum posters, take a WILD GUESS how fast they said I was going? Remember the number the gun was always set at????

LOLOLOLOL sure enough.... 61!!!!! LOLOLOLOL It's 1045pm, no other Americans bringing up there rear. The muni cops saw one last MEAL before they would have to wait for the next day... WRONG GUY!!! I argued the shit out of it. No chance I was giving them money!!! F THAT!!! My girlfriend was so pissed. She was almost crying because she tells me that I have too much nerve. Arguing with Mexican police at 11pm at night. She was scared they were going to do something to us because I was being so stern with these guys. My ego vs theirs. Sorry. I won. They let us go. Listen, if I do something wrong and I know it. I will pay the fine. I'm not giving anyone my money if I didn't do anything.

The whole point of me saying any of this is that some people just can't help themselves. Don't volunteer to put yourself in a position to get money taken from your possession. The other 9 trips this year we crossed, red light every time now, talk to aduana and go. I look over at the NAT Guard and UNLESS SPECIFICALLY instructed to stop I drive right by them like there is no cones. I'm not going to VOLUNTEER to put my GF and I in an unnecessary situation with people who have been reported to the US EMBASSY for theft of travelers. Neither will I go any faster than 18MPH. I don't put myself in a position to LOSE. This is a GAME. I don't LOSE.

Obviously if you read the forum enough you can read where I have CLEARLY stated that you should ALWAYS stop at any checkpoint you encounter. That advice needs to be taken seriously as it could mean your life. That is NOT the same thing as these cones they have set up next to the tourist information for the nat guard.

Furthermore, let me ask you this. There is also the same cones and stop sign in the same general 10 foot area where they stand but for vehicles going NORTH. Right before you cross the international line into USA. How many times have you ever stopped for that one? I have seen Americans pulling up to that to stop and roll down their window for the Mexican Nat guard right before crossing into USA. Why would you do that? Makes absolutely no sense.

Do you stop at the stop sign every time you enter/exit Cholla Bay too?! LOLLLLLLLLLLLL I swear.
No, I am not misunderstanding you. I posted what we do. We stop at EVERY stop sign we come to in Mexico. Often we stop where we know a stop sign should be but isn't. In Mexico you can never be too careful about 'breaking' the law. That's what we do. You are free to do what you want. You sound like one of those entitled Americans who think you are special but don't realize people in a foreign country don't give a crap about your American citizenship.

dirtsurfer

Well Known Member
Forum Supporter
I think we need to start clarifying these descriptions of Mexican uniformed personnel. They are NOT marines. They are the new National Guard. Secondly, you were correct in your assessment of the Federale. That is a Mexican Federal Police officer. Highly doubtful that guy gives 2 shits about speeding but I have seen it ONE TIME in my 20 years. February 2004 I went down with my then GF at the time for Valentines and a FEDERALE was standing in the middle of the road in the middle of the desert between Sonoyta and RP. He held out his hand to stop as we got closer and showed me the radar gun telling me that I was going 125kph.... Which was pretty accurate because I was going about 70 or 75mph. He said that I had to pay the ticket in NOGALES!!!!! I was like no chance brother. Used the basic ignorance method that ALL Americans should learn and utilize. No sir, no spanish, no, I didn't know I couldn't do that sir. After a few minutes of acting like the dumbest American this guy has ever tried to communicate with he let us go with warning. Never saw anything like that again. Only other incident with a FEDERALE was when one in the last ten years flashed his lights at me because I was pry going 80mph or something. He was going the other way. I considered it to be one of those universally understood signs to slow down a little. Other than that, the Mexican Federal Police pry have better things to do. Not saying it can't happen but driving 80KPH all the way to Rocky Point is a little overkill IMHO.

We came through the border Southbound at 750am Super Bowl Sunday. We were right behind this old timer and his wife. AZ plates. Two older white folk. I'm sitting here telling my girlfriend to watch this guy do all the wrong things right now. At that moment we were discussing the stories on the forum about how dumb people are. So the guy gets the red light they ask him something, look in the back and then say ok. He pulls up about 45 feet to the orange cones and STOP sign for the NEW NATIONAL GUARD solders in CAMO. Whom, by the way are freezing their asses off standing over by the building not even tending the STOP Sign check point thing. We get the green light SOMEHOW??????!!!!!!!!!!! Shocked the hell out of me. We pull forward and this old timer is now sitting at the cones stopped waiting for NOTHING!!!! Like buddy, do yourself a favor. Nobody was even standing there to ask this guy to stop. You could clearly see the NATIONAL GUARD solders did not give a F#ck that morning. So the guy was about to bring on unnecessary interaction with people who have been accused of stealing shit from peoples cars during their "inspection". So I tell my girlfriend look at this guy, can't even help himself. Like dude, keep driving!!!! Nobody even asked you to stop. Just over here volunteering to get taken advantage of. So then the old timer finally realizes they do NOT care and he finally pulls away. Now we're both starting to pull away from that aduana building area where one arm gets his change..... I start to do the Sonoyta crawl at 18mph my preferred anti THEFT speed.... This old timer must have got COMPLACENT, complete shocker right? He starts doing like 40 mph and sure as shit, a mile down the road the Sonoyta policia come flying out of one of their bat holes and boom, got this guy pulled over and we drive by and I'm just sitting there telling my girlfriend how these Americans have their heads so far up their own HOLE. All in span of 3 minutes, this guy volunteered him and his wife to a search and possible seizure that NOBODY asked him to do and then a minute later hes ignoring Mexican speed limits getting pulled over undoubtedly now paying some kind of bribe.... SMH. It was pretty funny.

Lesson of the story. Please . For the love of god DO NOT STOP at the NATIONAL GUARD CONES that are set up right there. In the last year (10 trips) I was only ASKED/REQUESTED to stop ONE TIME. The other 9 nobody specifically requested me to stop and I don't volunteer for that kind of harassment so I KEEP DRIVING every single time. It is not a problem. Also, everyone. Not sure if you've ever noticed but Kilometer marks are also included on AMERICAN SPEEDOS. LOLLLLLLLLLL It's not like you have to guess what 40KPH is. It says it right on your dash!!!! SMFH!!!!!!!!! WAKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKE UP!!!!! LOLOLOLOL
Good advice regarding the National Guard Cones. But, the local police don’t give a damn how fast you were driving or what the posted speed limit is, they just demaand payment because you were “speeding” and I have been driving 20 MPH and been pulled over. We are now highly resistant, argumentative, show our dash cams, and take videos. My wife bitched out an officer for pulling her over, being a thief and a liar and he turned around and drove away.

dirtsurfer

Well Known Member
Forum Supporter
Not rocket science. Multiply posted kph speed limit in your head by 0.6 to convert to approximate conservative equivalent in mph. 20kph=12mph, 40kph=24mph, 60 kph=36mph. 80kph=48mph, 90kph=54mph. Actual speeds convert to 12.43, 24.86, 37.28, 49.71, and 55.92mph.
Which mean absolutely nothing to the unscrupulous, lying, cheating, mafioso local police.

dirtsurfer

Well Known Member
Forum Supporter
I have adhered to these speed limits for 30 years going through Sonoyta and PP and never had an issue. Also count to 3 Mississippi at every alto sign. Never an issue.
My wife: twice in the last year while scrupulously observing the speed limit; me: once in the last year for speeding while I was doing exactly the speed limit and once for runnning a stop sign while I was sitting stopped at a sign: my friends: many, many shake downs.

Last edited:

Roberto

Well Known Member
Take the bumper sticker that says ARREST ME off your back bumper. I have one I HAVE NO MONEY that keeps them at bay.

Roberto

Well Known Member
Yeah !! On a similar note. I noticed that when my 06 Mariner is real dirty I get no requests to wash it. Only when it is clean do I get requests.

Southbeacher

Well Known Member
Take the bumper sticker that says ARREST ME off your back bumper. I have one I HAVE NO MONEY that keeps them at bay.
That sounds even more risky. After all, the electronic sign as you approach the southbound border gives clear instructions: “Declare $10,000” (just fun'n)

Last edited:

dons2346

Came thru Monday got the red light. First stop got boarded by the border person. She looked around, asked about cigarettes, booze that was it. She did tell the wife to not to bring the Poinsettia next year. Next stop by the military and the guy boarded and opened every cabinet door. Asked a couple of questions, that was it. Never opened the refer. His partner with the gun wanted to see some id so I showed him my passport. He wrote info down and we were in our way. Both the agent and military were polite and professional, no problem

mondone

Whitecaps
Came thru Monday got the red light. First stop got boarded by the border person. She looked around, asked about cigarettes, booze that was it. She did tell the wife to not to bring the Poinsettia next year. Next stop by the military and the guy boarded and opened every cabinet door. Asked a couple of questions, that was it. Never opened the refer. His partner with the gun wanted to see some id so I showed him my passport. He wrote info down and we were in our way. Both the agent and military were polite and professional, no problem
Are you sure nothing was stolen from you? The "show me some ID" is a distraction they love to pull off. :unamused:

dons2346

The wife followed the one searching inside, nothing taken. The one with the gun stood outside and wanted ID. Wanted to know where we were from, looked at the license plate, looked at passport and wrote info down on his clipboard. Guess they had to do something to prove they were doing their job

Casablanca

I think we need to start clarifying these descriptions of Mexican uniformed personnel. They are NOT marines. They are the new National Guard. Secondly, you were correct in your assessment of the Federale. That is a Mexican Federal Police officer. Highly doubtful that guy gives 2 shits about speeding but I have seen it ONE TIME in my 20 years. February 2004 I went down with my then GF at the time for Valentines and a FEDERALE was standing in the middle of the road in the middle of the desert between Sonoyta and RP. He held out his hand to stop as we got closer and showed me the radar gun telling me that I was going 125kph.... Which was pretty accurate because I was going about 70 or 75mph. He said that I had to pay the ticket in NOGALES!!!!! I was like no chance brother. Used the basic ignorance method that ALL Americans should learn and utilize. No sir, no spanish, no, I didn't know I couldn't do that sir. After a few minutes of acting like the dumbest American this guy has ever tried to communicate with he let us go with warning. Never saw anything like that again. Only other incident with a FEDERALE was when one in the last ten years flashed his lights at me because I was pry going 80mph or something. He was going the other way. I considered it to be one of those universally understood signs to slow down a little. Other than that, the Mexican Federal Police pry have better things to do. Not saying it can't happen but driving 80KPH all the way to Rocky Point is a little overkill IMHO.

We came through the border Southbound at 750am Super Bowl Sunday. We were right behind this old timer and his wife. AZ plates. Two older white folk. I'm sitting here telling my girlfriend to watch this guy do all the wrong things right now. At that moment we were discussing the stories on the forum about how dumb people are. So the guy gets the red light they ask him something, look in the back and then say ok. He pulls up about 45 feet to the orange cones and STOP sign for the NEW NATIONAL GUARD solders in CAMO. Whom, by the way are freezing their asses off standing over by the building not even tending the STOP Sign check point thing. We get the green light SOMEHOW??????!!!!!!!!!!! Shocked the hell out of me. We pull forward and this old timer is now sitting at the cones stopped waiting for NOTHING!!!! Like buddy, do yourself a favor. Nobody was even standing there to ask this guy to stop. You could clearly see the NATIONAL GUARD solders did not give a F#ck that morning. So the guy was about to bring on unnecessary interaction with people who have been accused of stealing shit from peoples cars during their "inspection". So I tell my girlfriend look at this guy, can't even help himself. Like dude, keep driving!!!! Nobody even asked you to stop. Just over here volunteering to get taken advantage of. So then the old timer finally realizes they do NOT care and he finally pulls away. Now we're both starting to pull away from that aduana building area where one arm gets his change..... I start to do the Sonoyta crawl at 18mph my preferred anti THEFT speed.... This old timer must have got COMPLACENT, complete shocker right? He starts doing like 40 mph and sure as shit, a mile down the road the Sonoyta policia come flying out of one of their bat holes and boom, got this guy pulled over and we drive by and I'm just sitting there telling my girlfriend how these Americans have their heads so far up their own HOLE. All in span of 3 minutes, this guy volunteered him and his wife to a search and possible seizure that NOBODY asked him to do and then a minute later hes ignoring Mexican speed limits getting pulled over undoubtedly now paying some kind of bribe.... SMH. It was pretty funny.

Lesson of the story. Please . For the love of god DO NOT STOP at the NATIONAL GUARD CONES that are set up right there. In the last year (10 trips) I was only ASKED/REQUESTED to stop ONE TIME. The other 9 nobody specifically requested me to stop and I don't volunteer for that kind of harassment so I KEEP DRIVING every single time. It is not a problem. Also, everyone. Not sure if you've ever noticed but Kilometer marks are also included on AMERICAN SPEEDOS. LOLLLLLLLLLL It's not like you have to guess what 40KPH is. It says it right on your dash!!!! SMFH!!!!!!!!! WAKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKE UP!!!!! LOLOLOLOL
I have a nickname for you: CCSO (Chief Common Sense Officer)!

VegasDude

Friends left yesterday northbound . My friend speaks spanish. At the border on the south side, the mexican army, their words, stepped in front of my friends truck and 5th wheel and stopped them with his hand raised. Conducted an inspection of their rig. Let them pass, nothing confiscated. North side, my friend got stopped. Then was waived to a secondary inspection point. Inspection of refrigerator and contents of the 5th wheel. Asked about meat, produce and whether or not the dogs were mexican or american dogs. Thanked him for his service and let them move on.
Mexican marines had a nice ring to it. Like it better but could care less what they're called. Kevlar , camo and a rifle . My friends were physically stopped by them. Not a request or wave. FYI. Your mileage may vary.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Friends left yesterday northbound . My friend speaks spanish. At the border on the south side, the mexican army, their words, stepped in front of my friends truck and 5th wheel and stopped them with his hand raised. Conducted an inspection of their rig. Let them pass, nothing confiscated. North side, my friend got stopped. Then was waived to a secondary inspection point. Inspection of refrigerator and contents of the 5th wheel. Asked about meat, produce and whether or not the dogs were mexican or american dogs. Thanked him for his service and let them move on.
Mexican marines had a nice ring to it. Like it better but could care less what they're called. Kevlar , camo and a rifle . My friends were physically stopped by them. Not a request or wave. FYI. Your mileage may vary.
Sounds dramatic.