*BORDER INCIDENT* Can the CBP KEEP you from crossing INTO Mexico WITHOUT a Passport?

Kenny

The point here is that I didnt ask the State department what Mexico allows, I asked the State department if they would stop me from entering Mexico without a passport, I never got an answer! I re-requested we will see
No you didn't Russ, but my point is that they did put that in their response, and you and everyone else chooses to ignore it; and that's my point!
What it says Russ is that if you come into Mexico with just a birth certificate and drivers license, Mexico only allows you to proceed 25 miles into Mexico, and no you didn't ask that, but so what? That was in the State Departments reply to your question, right?

Last edited:

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Kenney, If you are floatin along without a car you can go anywhere you want in Mexico! The free zone refers to cars, not people. I did not disregard the language from CBP, I just
put it in the right box.

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
Kenney, If you are floatin along without a car you can go anywhere you want in Mexico! The free zone refers to cars, not people. I did not disregard the language from CBP, I just
put it in the right box.
So visitors outside of the free zone dont need these? I'll let Mexican immigration know they have been making a mistake for the last 50 years.Mexican Tourist Visa for Costa Alegre...www.costalegre.ca Its no longer called an FMT, but now its all computerized and the part in the article thats talks about losing it, is correct. They may not keep you but try and apply for another and you may not get it. Their record keeping is catching up with our immigrations record keeping. I realize it says by plane on that form, but you need them if on foot, by boat, by bus or train.

Last edited:

Kenny

put it in the right box.
The only Box you're putting it in is the ignore box, just like you do with anything that might cost you a buck regardless of the ethics involved.. I didn't say anything about the free zone, and neither did the State department! What they did say is
"Mexico allows US citizens to enter by land and travel within 25 miles of the border with a driver's license and birth or naturalization certificate".
Now if you can't address that simple statement from the State Department because it might raise some question's you don't want raised, well that's what you do, that's your S.O.P., then fine, don't. Maybe I should start a thread with (The state department says "Mexico allows US citizens to enter by land and travel within 25 miles of the border with a driver's license and birth or naturalization certificate", so be sure you have a passport if you going farther than 25 miles into Mexico.).. Now that quote is a accurate quote from the State department is it not? Now it doesn't matter if they were answering a question about entering with a passport or not, what matters is that they have made a very prevocative statement that could be either a new policy by Mexico, or one that's not being enforced; or something else entirely. On it's own though, it's not something that should be confused by anyone with any intelligent's at all with any free zone matters or concerns whatsoever.

Last edited:

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
The only Box you're putting it in is the ignore box, just like you do with anything that might cost you a buck regardless of the ethics involved.. I didn't say anything about the free zone, and neither did the State department! What they did say is Now if you can't address that simple statement from the State Department because it might raise some question's you don't want raised, well that's what you do, that's your S.O.P., then fine, don't. Maybe I should start a thread with (The state department says "Mexico allows US citizens to enter by land and travel within 25 miles of the border with a driver's license and birth or naturalization certificate", so be sure you have a passport if you going farther than 25 miles into Mexico.).. Now that quote is a accurate quote from the State department is it not? Now it doesn't matter if they were answering a question about entering with a passport or not, what matters is that they have made a very prevocative statement that could be either a new policy by Mexico, or one that's not being enforced; or something else entirely.
Something is wrong about they're statement about having a passport 25 miles inside Mexico. One of my kids and I took a friends boat from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas, he didn't have a passport, so we went to the Mexican Consulate in Phoenix, with his birth certificate, drivers license and asked for a tourist visa, which when Mexican customs and Immigration in Cabo boarded the boat and checked our papers, said everything was fine. I dont think a passport is necessary in Mexico, so long as you have the tourist visa, issued by Mexican Immigration.

Kenny

Something is wrong about they're statement about having a passport 25 miles inside Mexico. One of my kids and I took a friends boat from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas, he didn't have a passport, so we went to the Mexican Consulate in Phoenix, with his birth certificate, drivers license and asked for a tourist visa, which when Mexican customs and Immigration in Cabo boarded the boat and checked our papers, said everything was fine. I dont think a passport is necessary in Mexico, so long as you have the tourist visa, issued by Mexican Immigration.
They didn't say anything except that quote, nothing about a tourist Visa, passports or anything else about it for that matter, except about your return. If it's true, since when, and what could be the ramifications of it if it is? It didn't say what you needed Bill, it said (the State Department) what the Mexican government supposedly said you could do if you just had a license and birth certificate while you were in Mexico! "Mexico allows US citizens to enter by land and travel within 25 miles of the border with a driver's license and birth or naturalization certificate"

I know people go in regularly with just those documents and sometimes less, but where in the hell did the State Department come up with that? Now I know, as most of us do, that the State department is not the best run bureaucracy, but where did that come from, and why?

From the State Department..
Mexico allows US citizens to enter by land and travel within 25 miles of the border with a driver's license and birth or naturalization certificate, but you may be delayed for a short time when you return to the US if you do not have a passport, passport card, or other approved ID. If you are a citizen of another country you could be detained and formally removed if you do not have proof you are in the US legally. I hope this answer helps.
It may be just as Jim suspects, a rogue computer..LOL

Last edited:
Sorry... totally forgot about this thread!!! Hey thanks for all the info. I contacted the CBP a few weeks ago. Apparently "customer service" is a high priority over there right now... NOT! I spoke to one of the most abrasive incompetent jackbox agents ever. Anyways... let me paraphrase the conversation.

Me: "Can the CBP prohibit me from crossing into Mexico from the Unted States in Lukeville if I dont have a passport"?
Jackbox CBP Agent: (sigh...) "Sir, basically we can do whatever we want, whenever we want. We can change the rules on a moments notice."

So that I can have a nice relaxing ride back to Phx, I'll make an extra effort to carry my passport next time. You win Uncle Sam.

Roberto

Sorry... totally forgot about this thread!!! Hey thanks for all the info. I contacted the CBP a few weeks ago. Apparently "customer service" is a high priority over there right now... NOT! I spoke to one of the most abrasive incompetent jackbox agents ever. Anyways... let me paraphrase the conversation.

Me: "Can the CBP prohibit me from crossing into Mexico from the Unted States in Lukeville if I dont have a passport"?
Jackbox CBP Agent: (sigh...) "Sir, basically we can do whatever we want, whenever we want. We can change the rules on a moments notice."

So that I can have a nice relaxing ride back to Phx, I'll make an extra effort to carry my passport next time. You win Uncle Sam.
This is an appropriate topic for the meetings with the US Consulate. Did you get a name or employee ID ?

TICO-T

Just get the passport card for $35.00 and keep it in your wallet. It's the same size as your drivers license and you should not have any more problems at the border. Border Agents are not the best trained people. They do not have to have any college education at all. Awhile back one of them asked me if I "had my visa" for going to Rocky Point. No training with this guy.

The Man

Hi...

Your right about the mindset of some!

Last June or so, a young may gal border agent asked me coming back from RP in my motorhome .....

Am I bringing guns or over 10,000. bucks back in to the states!!!!

I said is that what they should say going out of the US side, when you guys stop to talk to us!

She had us pulled over and do a full homeland security shakedown, even x rayed the motorhome and went thru it with sniffer dogs and lasted about 1 1/2 hour or so!

Found nothing, as I declared!

Sometimes I wonder!

DD

You get idiots....and you get some really nice, professional BP agents.....maybe I've been lucky, but I haven't had any problems in the last year or so in either direction. The "rules" are well known as to what you "should" have when crossing.....some people just need to push the envelope. A smile with the right documents helps considerably (and those of you who know me personally know I'm not always the most "pleasant" individual!!! :rofl:). Yeah, the questions they ask as you're leaving can sound stupid...but why mouth off to the agent? How would you like to stand there all day asking the same stupid questions in the heat wearing body armor? If you have a complaint, complain to Homeland Security! That's where the orders come from.

Just be glad you're not dealing with TSA!!! Can you imagine how long the line would be leaving the US at Lukeville (or coming back)?

Last edited:

Roberto

My favorite crossing into the US was when the ICE guy, a young black from Brooklyn that I had spoken to several times, leaned out of the booth looked me in the eye with a mean look and said 'I'm really pissed off at you'. Asked why he said ' You're sitting down listening to Bob Marley in air conditiong and I'm standing out here in the heat". We both got a good laugh.

GV Jack

Snorin God
My favorite crossing into the US was when the ICE guy, a young black from Brooklyn that I had spoken to several times, leaned out of the booth looked me in the eye with a mean look and said 'I'm really pissed off at you'. Asked why he said ' You're sitting down listening to Bob Marley in air conditiong and I'm standing out here in the heat". We both got a good laugh.
OK Roberto...along that line, during a recent trip down I asked the BP agent if there was anything more to Lukeville than just that station. He gave me a stern look and said, " Don't you realize this is the next Scottsdale."
We all had a great laugh and he said have fun and get going. They're not all idiots. Just a handful might be but isn't that the way it is everywhere. (Present company excluded, of couse.)

Terry C

the one that got me was when they asked if we were bringing anything back from Mexico, my wife said just a couple of pots. The guy in a loud voice said "lady we don't say that word here" LOL

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I love that black guy! I rolled up to the booth with my window down and he said, "does your Jeep have A/C and I said yes. He said, roll your window up and get out of here! LOL!