Border - July 4th Weekend

mis2810

Hi everyone. We're thinking about heading down again for July 4th weekend. Normally I do everything humanly possible to avoid the holiday weekends but schedule-wise it may be unavoidable this year.

With all that has been happening lately (i.e., economy, false violence and checkpoint scares) do you think there will be less traffic coming back on Monday, July 5th?

In years past I have sat and waited to cross back over for more than an hour and NEVER want to do that again.

What's your opinion? Thanks!

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Well, it was November, Thank God. If it had been hot, I would have died. I was with good friends, too.

mis2810

So leaving early or really late is probably best, right? I'd rather leave late. It's all I can do to drag myself away as it is. I just haven't been on a holiday weekend and I'm a little hesitant.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
this past memorial weekend we end up leaving RP at 8pm and there was no waiting at the border, maybe a little to late but there was no wait at all!!

I try not to leave on a Sunday or a holiday, since I don't generally get up early down there.....I've hit the border early afternoon (between 12-2) on a Monday with almost no wait. If I get down on the 4th of July, I will probably not leave until Tuesday.

A

azbeachboy

We'll be down for the 4th and leaving early Monday morning. If you can get up early, you won't have to wait. I sleep and my wife drives...

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
That's me, too! Years of being dragged by my friends, kicking and screaming, into the Jeep at 4 P.M. to come home! LOL! Amd why is it that the weather is perfect and the sea calm on your last day there? I have never understood that......

Real nice for Val, Chuck:roll: We left last Saturday just after noon, two cars in front of us at the border, in and out in no time. She (pretty young woman, never seen her before) didn't even pop the trunk!! (I realize it was well after the holiday traffic, but it was a Saturday nonetheless). HAHA.....we got to eat our samwiches on the other side:har: I know, just for saying that, they'll check everything next time. We're going down on the 30th and coming back on the 6th. We were going to come back on the 5th, but decided to take another vacation day just to avoid the traffic that day. (it really hurt to take that extra vacation day..............NOT!!) Hopefully, it'll pay off. Chuck, we'll see you and Val on the beach:cheers:

I can get up early but I can't bring myself to actually leave town! LOL
The problem with getting up early is that you (at least I do) have to hit the sack earlier the night before....so what's the point???....might as well leave late in the evening so that you hit the border before it closes!!! I've done that before....left late Sat. evening (like 9-10pm)...get home by 1-2am. Yeah.... you have to watch out for the bogeymen out on the road back to the border (and the livestock/stray dogs)....:stir:

mis2810

That's me, too! Years of being dragged by my friends, kicking and screaming, into the Jeep at 4 P.M. to come home! LOL! Amd why is it that the weather is perfect and the sea calm on your last day there? I have never understood that......
EXACTLY!!! It just kills me! It always looks like the perfect day when you have to leave. Although, I did get lucky when we went May 13-17 (last month). The last day we were there the wind was really, really bad.

But that doesn't mean that I want to leave town - I have no problem relaxing in the condo for a day when I know I'm not missing anything outside.

In order to console myself, I just keep saying in my head - "It's only 3 hours away - it's not the last time you'll be here." - over and over again!

mis2810

you have to watch out for the bogeymen out on the road back to the border (and the livestock/stray dogs)....:stir:
Bogeymen? Really? Animals yes. I've always made it my rule that I don't drive on any Mexican highway after dark. But, I still feel safer driving on Highway 8 at night than I do between Phoenix and Vegas in the dark. Now that's a scary-ass highway.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Yeah, but it's a lot better now. The Vegas hiway, I mean. I drove it once in the middle of the night in the early 80's after having been up a couple of days.......Never again!

The road to PP from Sonoyta in the 70's and 80's was bad, too. I drove it a lot at night and can't believe I never had an accident! I came up on horses, cows and cars half off the road with no lights, too! I kept my guardian angel busy!!!!! LOL!

Bogeymen? Really? Animals yes. I've always made it my rule that I don't drive on any Mexican highway after dark. But, I still feel safer driving on Highway 8 at night than I do between Phoenix and Vegas in the dark. Now that's a scary-ass highway.
That was just "yanking the chain" concerning all the recent posts of hijackings/roadblocks/etc. on the road between Sonoita/Penasco.....

mis2810

Oh, okay. I kinda of thought you were kidding. I'm pretty new here - still getting used to all the personalities! :)