Border Report (Saturday, Sep 12 2020, 10:20am)

Buffalo Marty

Well Known Member
JayT had a great report from Friday that was almost identical to our experience, so I'll keep it short n' sweet.

-hit Border at 10:20am, no US outgoing inspection/interview at all, just a line of ~20 vehicles waiting on the Mexico traffic-light revision; line moved slow but steady
-did 10 mins in line to get to traffic light, got the dreaded red, but female customs agent was VERY nice; even though we were packed to the gills, she just peeked into our van, asked to open the glove box, and waved us on our way; we were stopped for less than 2 minutes total; Marines waved us through with no questions.
-did the crawl through Sonoyta, saw 2 or 3 policias lurking & waiting for their next victims; wasn't going to be us!
-sanitary filter gone which was great, and thus we could take the right turn at the bridge to take the shortcut toward the gas station/wind farms.
-Weather was great! I was bracing for the worst based on the reports from the prior weekend, but their was a radical drop in both temp and humidity in the last week
-Beach was mobbed, seemed like old times; Jet Skis, Banana Boats, Massage Tables... to the naked eye you would have no idea if the scene was pre- or post-covid.
-as JayT mentioned, the sun was very strange all day. At first we thought it was cloudy/hazy, but later after some brief googling we realized it was a result of the wildfires!
-one more note, for the first time ever we stopped at the Carnitas place on the right side of the road as you near the end of Sonoyta. My wife had a hankering so we got 200 pesos worth of pork carnitas and ribs- it was all spectacular, we will definitely stop again. (I snapped a pic you can see below for reference, you can also see how strange the sky was that day...)
SONOYTA.jpg

playaperro

El Pirata
JayT had a great report from Friday that was almost identical to our experience, so I'll keep it short n' sweet.

-hit Border at 10:20am, no US outgoing inspection/interview at all, just a line of ~20 vehicles waiting on the Mexico traffic-light revision; line moved slow but steady
-did 10 mins in line to get to traffic light, got the dreaded red, but female customs agent was VERY nice; even though we were packed to the gills, she just peeked into our van, asked to open the glove box, and waved us on our way; we were stopped for less than 2 minutes total; Marines waved us through with no questions.
-did the crawl through Sonoyta, saw 2 or 3 policias lurking & waiting for their next victims; wasn't going to be us!
-sanitary filter gone which was great, and thus we could take the right turn at the bridge to take the shortcut toward the gas station/wind farms.
-Weather was great! I was bracing for the worst based on the reports from the prior weekend, but their was a radical drop in both temp and humidity in the last week
-Beach was mobbed, seemed like old times; Jet Skis, Banana Boats, Massage Tables... to the naked eye you would have no idea if the scene was pre- or post-covid.
-as JayT mentioned, the sun was very strange all day. At first we thought it was cloudy/hazy, but later after some brief googling we realized it was a result of the wildfires!
-one more note, for the first time ever we stopped at the Carnitas place on the right side of the road as you near the end of Sonoyta. My wife had a hankering so we got 200 pesos worth of pork carnitas and ribs- it was all spectacular, we will definitely stop again. (I snapped a pic you can see below for reference, you can also see how strange the sky was that day...)
View attachment 17059
Holy Moly like what they have at El Tule in Nogales Sonora, do they have the guacamole? Made my day going down tomorrow, now I know why they call you buffalo! Hope they be open by noon tomorrow!

Queen of Kings

Well Known Member
Not exactly sure why you consider gringos racing thru a small town and being rightfully stopped by the police as 'victims'. Sure a few probably get railroaded but from what I have seen, most deserve the stop and the ticket. Think about how you would feel if Mexicans were constantly driving thru your town like maniacs. You would expect your local Police to try to control it.

Buffalo Marty

Well Known Member
Holy Moly like what they have at El Tule in Nogales Sonora, do they have the guacamole? Made my day going down tomorrow, now I know why they call you buffalo! Hope they be open by noon tomorrow!
Unfortunately no guac, but they did give us 2 kinds of of salsa (pico de gallo and a spicier red salsa) and corn tortillas. Its just a roadside stand so not at the same level of a sitdown place like Tule (for example Tule has the nice cast iron skillets for the pork to sizzle on wich is great hehehe). But the location is very convenient since it is easy to pop in and grab a bite.
It seemed to essentially be "pay by the weight", so my wife just gave them 200 pesos and they loaded us up. It was a great snack for the rest of the drive down, and then a nice lunch the next 2 two days.

playaperro

El Pirata
Thanks Marty, perfect beats the hell out of tacos, by chance did they have the plastic bags with coins hanging outside to keep the flies away?

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Not exactly sure why you consider gringos racing thru a small town and being rightfully stopped by the police as 'victims'. Sure a few probably get railroaded but from what I have seen, most deserve the stop and the ticket. Think about how you would feel if Mexicans were constantly driving thru your town like maniacs. You would expect your local Police to try to control it.
Thanks for your contribution to nothing.

Queen of Kings

Well Known Member
Nasty. I have no quarrel with you. Peace out
I also have no quarrel with you. The point being, most people are loathe to admit to bad/illegal behavior. To listen to people on these boards you would think gringos drive like Angels while in Mexico. I have seen dozens and dozens, maybe 100's of examples of gringos driving like maniacs in Mexico who all deserve to be stopped and ticketed. Some Americans seem to think the rules don't apply to them while in a foreign country. I view it from the safety and concern point of view the locals have for themselves and their children.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
I also have no quarrel with you. The point being, most people are loathe to admit to bad/illegal behavior. To listen to people on these boards you would think gringos drive like Angels while in Mexico. I have seen dozens and dozens, maybe 100's of examples of gringos driving like maniacs in Mexico who all deserve to be stopped and ticketed. Some Americans seem to think the rules don't apply to them while in a foreign country. I view it from the safety and concern point of view the locals have for themselves and their children.
LOATHE ..... Think you mean LOATH... Aren't you the spell checker asshole???? Surprised you didn't catch your own mistake. By the way, I'm glad you're able to write and complete full sentences. It's refreshing to hear something other than Chinese Virus. Great contribution to the forum you are. I look forward to getting dumber everyday when I read your posts. Very uninformative.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Can't argue about this.
The closer you get to Lukeville it seems, an idiot switch gets turned on by many.
After passing thru Sonoyta it becomes worse. By the time you're 15 miles out of Sonoyta it becomes a Cannonball Run movie.

I usually drive 70-72mph on Highway 8 slowing down to 60ish for the curves and 40mph going thru the little Pinacante town.

I have had 4x4 trucks pulling trailers go by me easily at 90-100mph especially past this little town. More than a few times I've had to
pull into the breakdown lane because of oncoming cars passing with zero regard to on coming traffic.
The few times I drive 75-80mph I always have someone pass me going over 100.
Lot's of idiot drivers on that road who deserve to be ticketed.

Queen of Kings

Well Known Member
LOATHE ..... Think you mean LOATH... Aren't you the spell checker asshole???? Surprised you didn't catch your own mistake. By the way, I'm glad you're able to write and complete full sentences. It's refreshing to hear something other than Chinese Virus. Great contribution to the forum you are. I look forward to getting dumber everyday when I read your posts. Very uninformative.
Not the spell checker asshole, just the asshole.
P.S. I used loathe and meant to use loathe.

playavader

Everytime I go idiots in their big jacked up truck with AZ Cardinals plates blows past us in town (Sonoyta) at 50 mph. Then when I get back home after the weekend I see people on Rocky Point Friends and fans crying that they got harassed by the cops in Sonoyta.