Border thoughts 4/15/19

dirtsurfer

Well Known Member
Forum Supporter
I crossed back in to the U.S. on Monday the 15th, had about a 40 minute wait which surprised me this being a Monday. I read the reports about !00,000+ people are coming to PP for Easter. I cannot even imagine how the Mecicans with only two lanes headed South will deal with this mass of people let alone the jam-up heading North when everyone wants to return. The Americans driving North were as crazy as ever on Monday morning, passing at dangerous times, driving super fast, tailgating....it's just unnecessary and ugly behavior.

Roberto

Well Known Member
It's a huge problem without an obvious workable solution. I do not cross much anymore, either way. but other than the speed trap in Ajo and Sonoyta I never observed much or any traffic enforcement. Speeds were consistently high from Ajo to the border and from Sonoita to Penasco. In some 15 hears of crossing I really cannot recall seeing a single stop by law enforcement on the highway from Sonoita that appeared to be a traffic stop. I think the enforcement is Federal.
Alcohol is a big factor, I believe. In Penasco there is virtually NO enforcement of DUI laws, particularly during holidays. Open containers are everywhere in vehicles, including the drivers. The so called Safety Corridor exists only on some signs. formal reports of accidents are not available , to the public at least. As crazy as it is during Semana Santa I cannot believe there are not a fair number of deaths from accidents.

People worry about the potential for violence from the cartel but in fact there is far more danger to life and limb from the other drivers on the road.

Queen of Kings

Well Known Member
We simply do not go near PP during Easter week. We have about a 2 week period when we absolutely stay up North. The traffic, noise, people, chaos etc is simply not worth it.

dirtsurfer

Well Known Member
Forum Supporter
It's a huge problem without an obvious workable solution. I do not cross much anymore, either way. but other than the speed trap in Ajo and Sonoyta I never observed much or any traffic enforcement. Speeds were consistently high from Ajo to the border and from Sonoita to Penasco. In some 15 hears of crossing I really cannot recall seeing a single stop by law enforcement on the highway from Sonoita that appeared to be a traffic stop. I think the enforcement is Federal.
Alcohol is a big factor, I believe. In Penasco there is virtually NO enforcement of DUI laws, particularly during holidays. Open containers are everywhere in vehicles, including the drivers. The so called Safety Corridor exists only on some signs. formal reports of accidents are not available , to the public at least. As crazy as it is during Semana Santa I cannot believe there are not a fair number of deaths from accidents.

People worry about the potential for violence from the cartel but in fact there is far more danger to life and limb from the other drivers on the road.
Roberto: I have always told people that the Americanos are the most dangerous beast in Mexico due to the crazy drinking and terrible driving habits.

Landshark

Well Known Member
Roberto: I have always told people that the Americanos are the most dangerous beast in Mexico due to the crazy drinking and terrible driving habits.
Same here and the Mexico travel advisories the Feds keep releasing should focus more on the dangers of driving due to the dangerous, irresponsible, and reckless driving habits of Americans south of the border. The vast majority of the risk is the drive, and it’s due to us. WE are our own worst enemy.

dirtsurfer

Well Known Member
Forum Supporter
Same here and the Mexico travel advisories the Feds keep releasing should focus more on the dangers of driving due to the dangerous, irresponsible, and reckless driving habits of Americans south of the border. The vast majority of the risk is the drive, and it’s due to us. WE are our own worst enemy.
"The vast majority of the risk is the drive" I have been saying this for many years!