Border wait Labor day

I think this dance is about to end. From either Phoenix or Tucson, Penasco is about 160-170 miles away. That alone
being about a 2 hr drive.

2 hrs, that's 80-85 mph avg. You drive like my wife. :D

It takes me 4 hrs. to drive 232 miles door to door to my place in Cholla from NE Phx area.
That's with minimal waits at the border and 15 minutes to get gas and something to eat on the way.
It took me 5 hrs this past weekend and I was on the road by 8am Monday, home by 1:15pm.
I agree with your frustration because I can drive to the San Diego area in 5 1/2 hours.

Last edited:

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I say for sure, if the drive time makes the determination on whether you go to Rocky Point or San Diego.......go to SD. That way you can support their 4.00 beers in the bars along the coast and head to the beach where you park your car half a mile away .........but that's ok, I will have my ice chest down on Black mountain beach with my jeep and my girl right there with me.

JimMcG

If the continuous, negative press, narco trafficking, shoot outs, and these wait times, even with 5 lanes open, produces this many visitors to Penasco, I would say that nothing will ever stop Southwesterners from going to their favorite beach. Wait times used to be much worse on holiday weekends.

:confused: Easy guys :confused:
If I had to choose, Penasco first, because I can have a view of the ocean that is even better with a cold beer from a $18 case of Pacifico, Sol, DosXX, Indio etc..
Or, I can stay in SD with relatives for free, not as nice for views with $4 beers.

For the record, I spend 15 days per year in SD and approx. 50 days in RP. Best of both places.

In order to make the border crossing issues less painful.
Here is an interesting site that shows the US wait times with nice graphs,

http://traffic.calit2.net/border/border-wait-times.php?type=passenger&sub=standard&port=260201

Here is what it looked like yesterday, Not Pretty. There were people waiting at the border when it opened and closed.(2 hrs at 11PM):eek:

LV Capture.JPG

I say for sure, if the drive time makes the determination on whether you go to Rocky Point or San Diego.......go to SD. That way you can support their 4.00 beers in the bars along the coast and head to the beach where you park your car half a mile away .........but that's ok, I will have my ice chest down on Black mountain beach with my jeep and my girl right there with me.
AMEN BROTHER!!!!!!!

Got to the border at noon, had about a 15 min wait, got to the booth wasn't even a minute and we were on our way. Had to wait longer for the pilot car at the construction on 86. I think I'll keep dancing.

Russ, you need to let me know the way to get to the beaches at Black Mtn. Ever since Laguna shores went in, I can't find an easy way to get on the beach.

ernesto

I was in Port Clinton Ohio last weekend and met a married couple who told me they never go to the dangerous Penasco any more. I knodded my head and agreed. I have owned a home there for 21 years and I'm over the argument. Stay away, go elsewhere, more beach and less wait for me. Be afraid, be very afraid.

azdiva

On that note, I do prefer RP over San Diego , however the $4.00 beer is close to the Gringo Tax at $3.00. However
the big picture in the future is that the Mexico Government is on board to extend Interstate 11 to Mexico City. What
will happen to Rocky Point tourism when its 5 hours to San Carlos or Guymas. This will be a major Trade Route from Alberta, Canada.

Estero

The other option for crossing on holiday weekends is to get a Sentri/Global Entry card and drive just over 2 hours to the San Luis crossing via the coastal road just South of Yuma. Using the Sentri lane, I have never waited over 15 minutes on big weekends. Then you are 200 miles from Phx. Longer miles wise yes but more predictable in terms of time, nice scenery on the coastal road and your not just sitting there in a long line for hours not knowing how long it will take. Avoid the road that goes directly from Sonoyta to San Luis, it is very dangerous.

Anyone in the vehicle will need a Sentri card or if someone doesn't have one they can get out of the car and walk across, you also cannot be towing anything when using the Sentri line. It would be great if the feds would put a Sentri lane in Lukeville.......

:confused: Easy guys :confused:
If I had to choose, Penasco first, because I can have a view of the ocean that is even better with a cold beer from a $18 case of Pacifico, Sol, DosXX, Indio etc..
Or, I can stay in SD with relatives for free, not as nice for views with $4 beers.

For the record, I spend 15 days per year in SD and approx. 50 days in RP. Best of both places.

In order to make the border crossing issues less painful.
Here is an interesting site that shows the US wait times with nice graphs,

http://traffic.calit2.net/border/border-wait-times.php?type=passenger&sub=standard&port=260201

Here is what it looked like yesterday, Not Pretty. There were people waiting at the border when it opened and closed.(2 hrs at 11PM):eek:

View attachment 7634
Funny I was sthere at 11:30 yesterday and it was a three hour wait for me. Just doesn't match what the graph has listed

dry heat

Pigeon coup coordinator
How we forget the wait times between 1987-1995. I remember on many occasions having a 5 hour wait if you came back on a Sunday afternoon. If you go back further, Jerry and Kenny probably had a wait time when Al Capone was coming across the border.

GV Jack

Snorin God
Ernesto Said, "I was in Port Clinton Ohio" If you didn't get a Perch Sandwich at the Jolly Roger, shame on you. Oh and their Onion Rings, too.

playaperro

El Pirata
Anyone know anything about the ultra-light crash?

Peñasco Transparente added 5 new photos.
September 6 at 8:31pm · Edited ·
Mi raza de nuevo se cae una avioncito o mosca en la choya salio una turista muy golpeada fue trasladada abordo de un carro particular debido de lo tardado de los servicios de socorro ya que las unidades salen del centro de la ciudad, se necesita una base mas cerca. Lo anterior sucedio 6:30 de la tarde de este Domingo

+2

"}" data-reactid=".56" style="color: rgb(127, 127, 127); cursor: pointer; margin-right: 20px; padding: 4px 4px 4px 0px; font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; display: inline-block; font-size: 12px; font-weight: bold; line-height: 14px;">Like Comment Share