"Box" for additional TV channels?

We were told that if we wanted to add more channels to our TV in RP, we could bring down a "Box" and the guys at the resort could hook it up for us. Anybody have any idea what kind of "box" this would be??

Thanks!!

Roberto

I would guess they are talking about a US Satellite TV set up. You would need the dish on the roof and the receiver box as well. Technically it is not legal I hear but no one seems to enforce or care. You can get Mexican Sky and or Dish Netwoork here but not much US Programming.

dwig222

I don't know what they are talking about, but I have a brand new, still in the box, DISH 522 dual DVR that was sent to me from DISH by mistake about 4 - 5 years ago. I've called them twice and they said they would send someone out to pick it up but they never did. I just cleaned out a closet and found it on a shelf still in the sealed box. If there is any way you can use it, I'll be happy to give it to you. We will be down in November. It may have to be activated by DISH, but if they can get around that it might help you. I have two of them in my home and I love them.

Thanks, dwig222! I appreciate that. If we decide to go that way, can I email you? We will be in RP from around 10/22 to 11/18.

The woman who told me this didn't mention dish or anything on the roof - we're in a high rise so pretty sure that won't work! Will keep checking!!

Thanks again.

playaperro

El Pirata
We were told that if we wanted to add more channels to our TV in RP, we could bring down a "Box" and the guys at the resort could hook it up for us. Anybody have any idea what kind of "box" this would be??

Thanks!!
Yes most of the condo's are wired and have the dish set up on the roof, all you need to do is bring down is a directv or dish box that is activated here in the usa, I prefer directv have a couple boxes at home and one in our condo in penasco, So if you dont have service in the usa you wont have a box and out of luck, that's why people really dump cable to bring down a couple boxes here.

Hmmm - like a 'sling box'? We only have cable here - and live in a building with only cable - so we may be out of luck on that one! Rats.

playaperro

El Pirata
Nothing better than having the best of both side's along with your local news, movies, and pay per views.

Last edited:
We are news junkies - and it will election time while we're there! We voted absentee but will want to watch all the coverage from every point of view!! During the day, we are outside!!!

dwig222

I didn't realize that you were only going down for a few weeks, sheep. I thought you lived there. You will be fine with a few channels. You certainly won't want to be watching TV when you are in Rocky Point. If you want to watch on election night, there are a lot of restaurants and bars that have TVs. There are many places where you will have WiFi to catch the news. I have the TV on all day and night at home, but I go to RP to get away from that.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
I didn't realize that you were only going down for a few weeks, sheep. I thought you lived there. You will be fine with a few channels. You certainly won't want to be watching TV when you are in Rocky Point. If you want to watch on election night, there are a lot of restaurants and bars that have TVs. There are many places where you will have WiFi to catch the news. I have the TV on all day and night at home, but I go to RP to get away from that.

Knock Knock, anybody home?! Hello, McFly! She just stated that she certainly would like to be watching TV when she is in Rocky Point! LOL That wasn't the question and besides what does it matter to you if someone wanted to watch 23 hours of TV while they were in Rocky Point, who cares! DO YOU!! and let others DO THEM!!

We'll be there a month this time - and back after Christmas until we must leave - hoping for a nice long winter there!!!

Jim

I don't know where you are staying and I don't know about the other resorts but all of the Sonorans have a basic package with the all networks, CNN, Fox, ESPN, and a couple HBOs. I think that there are somewhere around 15 English stations total. It is an HOA thing and may be a little different at each of our resorts but all the basics will be there. Many owners have DirecTV or Dish installed for their renters. Since it is not "technically" legal, you probably won't know if they have the additional service until you get here.

Eduardo

Banned for Douchebaggery!
You can buy dish network for your home in AZ and you can take the antena and receiver anywhere in north america and it will work same as if you are home, you only have to adjust the dish antenna to proper angle.
If you are talking about how to 'fix' the box so that you watch all that for free those days are over. Signals are encrypted. there is a cheap alternative to get all channels for very cheap, like someone buys all the channels and shares the card with you for a fee.