Bring Food across the border

marybna

On one of the HOA sites there is a lot of chatter about not being able to bring food into Mexico. There are new stories about having cooler searched and not being able to bring food items. I know I couldn't bring back my lettuce or salami.

If you are really worried about it and want to bring meats and cheeses in instead of buying the great stuff available in RP
(I know there are many of our favorites not available in RP)
Here is an option I've used a few times.
I have taken the meats (wrapped in double plastic bags) out of the cooler and place them in luggage or other hard to look places places a few miles before the border and put them back in cooler a few miles after crossing.
Yeah, it is smuggling, I am guilty as charged.

GV Jack

Snorin God
Going into Mexico, I have been stopped and searched a number of times.

I usually put anything I'm smuggling in on the bottom of the cooler and load the top
with soda, water and a few beers. Last time I was checked the lady grabbed a can of
Tecate Light from the cooler, held it up and asked, "You're bring Mexican beer to Mexico?

We all laughed as did the young lady and I explained it was to hold us over until we got to the store.
Only time I've seen one of them laugh. Otherwise, I've never had a problem.

A

AZ Miguel

I know everyone already knows this but just remember that smuggling ANY contraband into ANY country and being caught comes with unfavorable consequences. Attempting to conceal removes any question of what you are attempting and removes any excuse you may come up with to attempt to lie your way out of smuggling. Best to hide your ham in your boat, they never check there.

Roberto

You could get one of those smuggling cannons and shoot your stuff across the border and come over and pick it up. Hard to understand why you like to get away and go on a vacation but take your home with you!! Hey, take a risk and try something new. You might actually like it.

Going into Mexico, I have been stopped and searched a number of times.

I usually put anything I'm smuggling in on the bottom of the cooler and load the top
with soda, water and a few beers.

I do the exact same thing, junk on top the good stuff on the bottom. Coming down the cooler is so full they can't see or find the meat on the bottom.

mondone

Whitecaps
Got the red light yesterday morning about 6:20AM with my big cooler on the hitch rack. They immediately opened it, dug right down to the bottom and warned me that my 2 packages of hot dogs, bag of some chicken parts, and my wrapped pound of ground beef were a no-no. Thought they were all gone and they would be making themselves a big BBQ last night, but he closed it up and told me don't do it the next time you come. He didn't seem to care about any of the little bit of produce in there though. Then asked for the dog papers. Looked them over in a flash and again mentioned about the meats again, then adios.

azfish

pack your cooler and put it at the bottom of all the rest of the junk you bring wiith you, I never had them dig out and open my cooler.

playaperro

El Pirata
pack your cooler and put it at the bottom of all the rest of the junk you bring wiith you, I never had them dig out and open my cooler.
MacGyver you are,... my fish buddy, you know both custom agency's get most of their info from this forum!

Last edited:
A

AZ Miguel

It's simple, follow the laws of each country and you wont have any issues. But why anyone would post on a public forum how to break the laws is pure stupidity. I know that I'm just as guilty as the next person but I've never claimed to be a brain surgeon :duh:

jerry

It's simple, follow the laws of each country and you wont have any issues. But why anyone would post on a public forum how to break the laws is pure stupidity. I know that I'm just as guilty as the next person but I've never claimed to be a brain surgeon :duh:
why do people think brain surgeons are smarter than say a butcher ...better knives maybe ..robots will be putting them on the unemployment line in 5 years

mondone

Whitecaps
I wonder how how they are going to be with turkeys this year at Thanksgiving. In the past they have allowed them in small numbers. I don't have plans to be in PP until the day after, but I bet a bunch of you are planning to bring your birds down the 28th.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
The easy simple answer for most on the forum is to buy local when you arrive in Rocky Point. Yes, theoretically this is a great option but for the weekend warrior it isn't always the best option. For the weekend warrior who arrives in Rocky Point on a Friday at mid day or even later in the evening and leaves on a Sunday morning or mid day, grocery shopping can be a drag. It can easily take up a couple hours of your time and when you're only in town for less than 50 total hours it can be a drag in which most would rather use their time more efficiently. It's all about the green or whatever color Mexican money is. They don't want you spending $100 at the grocery store in America, they want you to spend money in their country. I used to be under the impression that the reason we couldn't transfer produce and other foods across state and country lines was because of disease control. This obviously isn't the case. It is ridiculous that one cannot bring USDA beef or chicken. I dont want to spend half of my first real day in paradise, Saturday, looking for good cuts of meat and other grocery items when I can plan ahead and do this before I leave for my vacation. Honestly, this just goes along with everything else the Mexicans can do to discourage travel to their country. Taking dogs photos when clearly there is zero effort locally on animal control. What else? This used to be my problem with Las Palomas, always trying to get more money out of you. I couldn't go to Las Palomas as a guest of someone staying in their resort because I didn't have a wrist band but I was at the pool with my VISA spending $100 +. Not the greatest business model. As a liberal I understand the importance of oversight and regulation but not at the expense of turning away interest and travel to Penasco. At one time Las Palomas was close to a failing resort with HOA issues and not enough money to pay employees. The same time period they were letting go of the 200 + employees I was being asked to leave the resort because I didn't have a wrist band on even though I was spending money at their pool bar. Sometimes you just have to SYH and say really?! Dog food?! Really?! Maybe we can get PENA-Nieto the man to lift some of these ridiculous travel regulations. You never know, he's already lifting other regulations for more efficiency... is American dog food next?

jerry

Protest against the new enforcement pressure In sonora
Page 1
Contrael protest confiscation of
case "Chocolate" and food ..!
About 50 people gathered last domin-
go January 12, opposite the Mexican checkpoint to protest
against the alleged seizure of vehicles of pro-
American tendency also called "chocolate", and
step and protested against the confiscation of food
elements that perform or Sagarpa Senasica employees.
He was the manager of the office, Enrique Hernan-
dez
who said they were blocking the way in
federal zone and that's a crime, something that the demonstrators
sented little difference to them and instead began to lis-
Charse louder cries of dissent and protest,
requiring the presence of Martin Coronado represen-
tant SENASICA.
That came to place the commander of the Federal Police
Preventive, Arturo García de León who tried to con-
control the situation, letting them know that if they did not want
serious problems was best to remove the lock and search
manifest other forms of legally and in-
conformity rather than calm were more ener-
cal demanding the presence of Martin Coronado, so
De Leon called him on the phone.
Now when the representative arrived Sagarpa mani-
protestors demanded a detailed explanation of the for
they were confiscating milk, meat, vegetables, commissions
da dog and eggs, to which replied Coronado
that it would soon stop the seizure, requesting
within 4 days to review the problem.
An hour later came the mayor Irma Villalobos
who informed the protesters that subdele-
Pollack Sagarpa come to this city in a week
to address the issue of confiscation of food reserves
vándose comments on confiscation of vehicles
"Chocolate", saying that I was not aware of the fact,
but that those affected appear before it
to find a solution to the problem and to return them
they seized the car.
Meanwhile the manager of the office, Enrique
Hernandez
said he was unaware of decomi-
sos and mentioned that maybe it was the State Government
whom was doing, but they were not
authorized thereto.
The protesters called for not trample over their
Customs demanded rights and remove the rotating door
tory as it is a problem for the passage of persons with
disability, when they return to the United States
this border.
Another day Enrique Hernández reaffirmed not have known
tion of some operating cars or forfeiture of
someone who has been seized your vehicle.
I did know that "Customs is making no
type of operating in the city, obviously here in the
border under our faculties have been made
some kind of seizure, but that has always been, is not
nothing new, "he said. "In fact we asked among
Protesters yesterday and it turned out that nobody was affected
Direct, now if someone is stripped of a vehicle
what not prove their legal status, that would be a theft,
People should know that even cars without documentation
you are subject to any proceedings "he said, and
added that before a seizure, it has to be a
written order and authority must submit a certificate
stating that you are entitled to 10 days to file
evidence and arguments, a standard procedure for all
type of authority, either the SAT, State Government
oy / or Federal "-he added.
But he said that does not preclude that has deco-
ments in the future, as it has the power to do the
SAT, the Audit of Foreign Trade, governments
state and federal, but until today there is no or-
den about it and that when a statement is issued
for that, you have to make a statement
formal, and finished by saying that as far as he knows, no
you are making that kind of operating here.
The manager explained that a foreign vehicle only
can be conducted in Mexico by a person who re-
AIDS abroad, and should not necessarily be a
foreign citizen.
"If someone is an American citizen
but lives in Agua Prieta and drives a vehicle pro-
foreign provenance, there they would be at risk because
rules would require that live abroad, if
one point is found that is a citizen or
foreign resident but lives in Agua Prieta or which-
any city in Mexico, you can not drive that vehicle
in Mexico, "He said.