Bringing a pet cat

Valerie

Does anyone have information on how easy or difficult it is to bring a couple of pet cats along in a motorhome? We're coming down later this month with a couple of friends from Washington who have two cats. I have researched the "official" requirements but wonder if they really do ask or check at the border. Thanks.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Long story short...I brought a 5 month old stray cat back in May of 2007. The cat rescue group down there already had 18 cats... They told me that American customs don't care about you bringing cats back and forth. I was still sweatin' it, tho. When we got to the border, the cat was asleep in my lap. The border guy asked us all the usual questions and didn't even look at the cat......He either thought the cat was mine or they don't care about cats... That's only one experience, tho......

InkaRoads

cronopiador
All pets require a veterinary health certificate, issued not more than 5 days before arrival. For dogs and cats, health certificate must include:
- (for pets older than 3 months) rabies vaccination history issued within 12 months before arrival. If rabies vaccination history is not included, rabies vaccination certificate must be attached.
- attestation that the pet is free from ECTO and ENDO parasites (or a deworming certificate).
Further information can be found at: www.senasica.gob.mx ("Phytozoosanitary Inspection" and "When travelling, bring your pet").

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Well, I guess I was lucky......
Chari, the ball game changed a while back when they were told to enforce their laws (custom laws), still slow at it and spotty at times but if you happen to get stop they will turn you around, in the case of pets, or make you get rid off the food you are bringing that is not allowed in, like the condos just progress at work!!

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Ink, I was bringing the cat home, the American customs guy didn't look at him. Oh, never mind, you are talking about them bringing the cat in......I'm not awake yet. LOL! My cat only had a one way ride...

Esperanza

We have dogs and always carry the shot records/health certificates. Some times they ask, some times no..... on BOTH sides. It just depends on the mood of the day!

In the last 10 years of trips to PP, I had a Mexican official ask once for papers, I had 3 cats and a dog.
I have never been asked about them at the US side, they have seen them and only have asked, how do the dog and cats get along while in the car?

El Gato

When we brought El Gato (George) down a year ago we had taken him to the vets and had all his paperwork, shots, etc, current. He was in his travel case between us in front but they never said a word. We didn't think they would but since it was hot (September) and we had to be in Penasco at one pm to sign papers for a our new home, didn't want to take any chance that we would have to go find a Vet in Ajo in order to get him through. Especially since he looks like a minature leopard. We did give him a kitty cocktail because otherwise he would have yowled and roared at top pitch for the 6 1/2 hour trip - so he was pretty much sleeping when we went through.

Valerie

Many Thanks

Thank you all for your responses. My friends have found someone to care for the two old lady cats so we no longer have to be concerned about taking them across. BTW, my daughter and her family brought home a stray cat some years back...no problems at all. We were traveling with a group of about six RV's and all communicating on our radios trying to think of a name for the new pet. One guy popped on and suggested Nacho...as in he's not 'yo cat! He became an extremely grateful cat and to this day still loves shredded lettuce, tomatoes and any left over Mexican food the family gives him! :)

R

reportjones

My cat died a few years ago so I buried her in the grass in my backyard. Sad, but true!

Three months passed and I began to notice all of these baby kitten heads sprouting up from the ground.

They sure made a mess when I mowed the following week!