Bringing food INTO Mexico

D

dmzboi

We just went to Rocky Point in July and were stopped by the Mexican border agent on the way in. It was around 9am. He took a look in our cooler. We had a mix of things in there. Milk, deli meat, cheese, cake, he said we weren't allowed to bring some of the products across the border. He let us pass though. I have been trying to find a list of products not allowed into Mexico...Does anyone have any idea where I can find this?

We ALWAYS bring our own food when we go so this was kind of a surprise. Getting married in October down there and will have a caravan of vehicles with us. We just want to make sure nobody gets held up.

Thanks in advance for all the info!!!

Danny

cheatka

Whatever that particular agent feels like telling you. My brother had an icechest w/beer in it several yrs ago and they took it all. I guess the guy was thirsty

El Gato

A friend of ours was recently stopped - given a warning about what he was bringing in but allowed on. He was told no milk, eggs, veggies, meat, poultry - basically nothing that you could actually buy down here. I've heard that store packaged meats/poultry can be brought in but that is just rumor. He wasn't given a list and they did let him come through. Our SIL recently brought down can/packaged goods for us, but since they got the green light not sure how those would have been treated.

I'd like to know as every so often, when we can pry ourselves out of sight of the beach, we wander up to Ajo to pick up things we can't get here. But now are concerned about being able to bring them in.

mondone

Whitecaps
I know someone recently posted a link on this forum with a updated list of permissable/illegal food and items into Mexico. Anyone remember where it was?

Landshark

Try this link. http://rollybrook.com/dutyfree.htm It's pretty vague on the prohibited food items. Saw this on the RP Times website. This is the best info I have found so far. Hope it helps! Jose Asael Najera Carpio, who is the head of the agriculture dept in Sonoyta told me that the current restrictions are NO fresh beef, eggs, chicken (they tell us packaged chicken is allowed), shrimp, non-pasteurized milk, and some fruits and vegetables. He said you need to declare produce and fresh food when you cross - declare pasteurized milk, cheese, butter, fish as well as flowers, plants and animals. As far as fruits and veggies he said that if there is no "warning" you are allowed to bring them in in small quantities. I will try to find out if there is number to call in advance to see if any fruits and veggies are "on the no list". Jose is from Mexico City and speaks pretty good English and is muy amable. IF YOU ARE NOT SURE ABOUT AN ITEM...STOP FIRST AND DECLARE!! Far less trouble that way. It is my opinion that they are doing what the US does except maybe with more leeway: you can bring some items in small quantities, but they obviously want you to buy locally since Mexico sells all of these food items. And they are actually better and more organic so it's not worth the trouble of having to stop and have things taken away.

jerry

They are easing up after the trucking dispute ended...hey the Mexican cheese is better,buy a bread machine and eat fish.I've got my dogs liking ground squid and scallops(the navy gave me a bunch) but they are fans of all road kill.
Try this link. http://rollybrook.com/dutyfree.htm It's pretty vague on the prohibited food items. Saw this on the RP Times website. This is the best info I have found so far. Hope it helps! Jose Asael Najera Carpio, who is the head of the agriculture dept in Sonoyta told me that the current restrictions are NO fresh beef, eggs, chicken (they tell us packaged chicken is allowed), shrimp, non-pasteurized milk, and some fruits and vegetables. He said you need to declare produce and fresh food when you cross - declare pasteurized milk, cheese, butter, fish as well as flowers, plants and animals. As far as fruits and veggies he said that if there is no "warning" you are allowed to bring them in in small quantities. I will try to find out if there is number to call in advance to see if any fruits and veggies are "on the no list". Jose is from Mexico City and speaks pretty good English and is muy amable. IF YOU ARE NOT SURE ABOUT AN ITEM...STOP FIRST AND DECLARE!! Far less trouble that way. It is my opinion that they are doing what the US does except maybe with more leeway: you can bring some items in small quantities, but they obviously want you to buy locally since Mexico sells all of these food items. And they are actually better and more organic so it's not worth the trouble of having to stop and have things taken away.

Roberto

This all gets a little confusing because there are several issues involved. For example, each person coming by car can bring their personal clothing and the things commonly listed, like "2 fishing rods, 3 boats, 5 CDs, one camera", PLUS $50 or $75 (depending on where you look) of additional, permitted stuff with no duty. Over that limit a duty is required. Now the value of the food you bring in to Mexico probably applies here. So for example, if you brought in $100 worth of food (for which you should probably have reciepts) you are probably liable for tax on the overage.

When they say you have to declare something I don't think it means it is acceptable or not acceptable for import, it means they want to look at or know about that stuff maybe to determine if it's OK or not. Like the 'some fruits and vegetables" above. I think this is because this list changes frequently. The Rollybrook stuff is usually pretty accurate, BTW.

I think you should buy the stuff here and not go through all that work and hassle or better yet have someone from here cater the affair. You'll make yourself crazy running around up there buying stuff, storing it, packing it, transpoprting it, unpacking it and the danged icecream would melt anyway !! There are several first class restaurants that will do catering, Coffeehaus comes to mind, Micky has done catering and I bet Luca at Pannie Y Vino would do it also, and you relax and enjoy yourself. These are first class chefs, you can trust them. Order the cake at Candy Cake Bakery, you won't find any better. Champagne you can even get at the Crucero Liquor store.

az-dan

"We ALWAYS bring our own food when we go so this was kind of a surprise. Getting married in October down there and will have a caravan of vehicles with us. We just want to make sure nobody gets held up."

We use to bring our food also but over the last couple of years we have started to bring less food and in most cases no food and just buy from the local stores and vendors. The problem with bringing food is it always seems that we bring too much and then we have to toss it so we don't have an issue getting it back across the border. Ramón’s at the Sonoran Sea caters and does weddings, there have been several on the beach since they opened.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
That's what happened to me, I would have too much. Now I bring only what I can't get there that I have to have; flavored coffees, liquid Coffee Mate, blue Powerade Zero, Coke Zero and Litehouse refrigerated Chunky Blue Cheese dressing. Makes for a much lighter load......

garyd

Did you know that eggs stay fresh longer than the date on the package? Put an egg in a bowl of water and if it sinks to the bottom it is good. If it floats it has gas in it and is bad. I have eggs in my fridge that are 2 months old that are still good. Save some money.

Roberto

Did you know that eggs stay fresh longer than the date on the package? Put an egg in a bowl of water and if it sinks to the bottom it is good. If it floats it has gas in it and is bad. I have eggs in my fridge that are 2 months old that are still good. Save some money.
Boil them When they get a little old and they last a loooong time.

D

dmzboi

Thank you for the info...

Thanks everyone for the information...That link did help. We are getting married at Las Palomas so they are taking care of the dinner. We too have been bringing less and less food down there...I will have a caravan of people and don't want anyone to be stopped or turned around...I might just have everyone stop at the grocery store before we turn into Sandy Beach...Ok..well thank you and see you all in a month!

Roberto

Thanks everyone for the information...That link did help. We are getting married at Las Palomas so they are taking care of the dinner. We too have been bringing less and less food down there...I will have a caravan of people and don't want anyone to be stopped or turned around...I might just have everyone stop at the grocery store before we turn into Sandy Beach...Ok..well thank you and see you all in a month!
Hey, I did not get my invitation to the wedding !! Any of you other guys get yours? At least we otta be invited to the reception, free beer and all !!!:cheers::pinkie::woo::cluck:

I just crossed yesterday 6/13/2013 and they took my packaged chicken and bagged packaged lettuce. He said it was new rules as of three weeks ago. He gave me a claim ticket to ensure the "destruction" of my items if I should feel like I needed to check if they were indeed destroyed on my way back to the US. I told him I thought he was mis-spoken and meant to say "consumption" not destruction. He seemed confused with my humor?? He took my drivers license and car registration and told me I would be fined in the future and that this was just a warning. I think they really just wanted my items for their lunch, since he left my cooler full of pork chops, hamburger, pork sausages, two more packages of chicken, two more packages of salad bags, grapes, blueberries, 6 bottles of wine, a bottle of vodka and two bottles of baileys. All of these items he said were not permitted, but somehow didn't seem to "notice" them while pulling out the one package of chicken and one package of lettuce. Of further interest I was transporting an $800.00 ceramic grill that I fully disclosed and expected to pay import taxes on. They didn't care at all about my grill or collecting the tax, just the chicken and lettuce. They also did not care about me paying my extra tax on my excessive liquor. I find this all very unexplainable other than it was nothing more than taking my food items that they wanted. I have been stopped numerous times before with these same food items and they have NEVER taken a thing from me. When I asked the SENASICA person about what was permitted and what was not he told me that NO chicken, NO pork, and NO produce was allowed. I argued with him saying all my products are in original store packaging which I have been told before was acceptable for any types of meat or produce. He told me that these are "new rules" put into effect three weeks ago???? I find it Odd that they left my cooler full of pork, chicken and produce and only took two of my items. Completely inconsistent. He waved good-bye to me and said "have a nice day" I waved back and said "have a nice lunch"...

badfish

I just crossed yesterday 6/13/2013 and they took my packaged chicken and bagged packaged lettuce. He said it was new rules as of three weeks ago. He gave me a claim ticket to ensure the "destruction" of my items if I should feel like I needed to check if they were indeed destroyed on my way back to the US. I told him I thought he was mis-spoken and meant to say "consumption" not destruction. He seemed confused with my humor?? He took my drivers license and car registration and told me I would be fined in the future and that this was just a warning. I think they really just wanted my items for their lunch, since he left my cooler full of pork chops, hamburger, pork sausages, two more packages of chicken, two more packages of salad bags, grapes, blueberries, 6 bottles of wine, a bottle of vodka and two bottles of baileys. All of these items he said were not permitted, but somehow didn't seem to "notice" them while pulling out the one package of chicken and one package of lettuce. Of further interest I was transporting an $800.00 ceramic grill that I fully disclosed and expected to pay import taxes on. They didn't care at all about my grill or collecting the tax, just the chicken and lettuce. They also did not care about me paying my extra tax on my excessive liquor. I find this all very unexplainable other than it was nothing more than taking my food items that they wanted. I have been stopped numerous times before with these same food items and they have NEVER taken a thing from me. When I asked the SENASICA person about what was permitted and what was not he told me that NO chicken, NO pork, and NO produce was allowed. I argued with him saying all my products are in original store packaging which I have been told before was acceptable for any types of meat or produce. He told me that these are "new rules" put into effect three weeks ago???? I find it Odd that they left my cooler full of pork, chicken and produce and only took two of my items. Completely inconsistent. He waved good-bye to me and said "have a nice day" I waved back and said "have a nice lunch"...
I'm sure they don't know what a Big Green Egg is Queenb4three.

jerry

I would have taken that illegal green egg off you too..or at least 50 bucks.....I was told last week no fruit...none

Funny you guys knew about the big green egg from my grill description, I did not know that is what they were called. Can't wait to grill on it especially my Turkey next week and for thanksgiving. Hopefully I will be able to get a turkey down in the future, I know we were allowed to in the past. I'm sure the Sonoran beef will be even more amazing on this grill. I am grateful they did not take it from me, and gladly gave up my chicken for not being hassled on the grill. I hope your joking about it being illegal! They let me in with my fruit too on Wednesday (cherries, lemons, strawberries and banana's). Seems the only thing they are consistent about is how inconsistent the rules are from day to day.

~ Kim ~

Luna

Sea Shell Goddess
We ALWAYS bring our own food (and big doggie's). On occasion we have had our vehicle/coolers searched, but have never had any problems - so far.That being said I have heard of people having some or all of their food taken from them. I suppose it is just a matter of who is working and what kind of day they are having. Also, what food we do bring with us we try to keep in the original, unopened packaging just in case. We also have gotten pretty good and what we need based on how long we are staying, so we NEVER bring ANYTHING back with us.

Last edited: