Building Boom?

Seahorse

In the Rocky Point Times this month there is an article that 36 lots have been sold the first half of this year. Another article in the Times states that 25 condos have been sold at Corona Del Sol in Las Conchas since April 1st. The first hotel on Sandy Beach started construction last winter. Took a drive out to Laguna Del Mar on Monday and there are 4 new construction homes being built there. And it sounds like there is activity going on in the Eastern Beaches as well. Are we heading for another building boom?

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
There is a lot of building going on and not just for the foreigners - in my hood the lot across the street is set to have 8 economy homes built on it and just down the street 10 homes just got built and all are sold and moved into. Cholla bay is on fire as far as building goes. Lots on the water are being bought with existing houses that are being demoed - an abandoned boat house condo project is being rehabilitated right now too. Stuff is happening.

jerry

Well Known Member
There is a lot of building going on and not just for the foreigners - in my hood the lot across the street is set to have 8 economy homes built on it and just down the street 10 homes just got built and all are sold and moved into. Cholla bay is on fire as far as building goes. Lots on the water are being bought with existing houses that are being demoed - an abandoned boat house condo project is being rehabilitated right now too. Stuff is happening.
good news! Construction,health care for aging americans,mining,fair trade ag. work can all help take up the slack for the coming collapse of the fishing industry.

dirtsurfer

Well Known Member
Forum Supporter
good news! Construction,health care for aging americans,mining,fair trade ag. work can all help take up the slack for the coming collapse of the fishing industry.
Health care, extended stay hospitals, surgical centers and nursing homes for Americans will become a huge industry in Mexico.

tndr_cpl

I primarily do healthcare related research and yes, the number of assisted living facilities constructed in Mexico targeted at Americans and Canadians has gone from 1 in 2010, to nearly 50 in 2016..however (when it comes to Mexico it seems there is always a "however" which in some ways is the reason I love it), the industry has very little regulation. For investors in these facilities there is a chance that the lack of regulation will lead to more and more sub-standard facilities, which means that Americans will not be willing to pay even the current rates (which average about 38% of what the rates are for US facilities). Since people won't pay as much, the prices will drop along with the care and it could easily end up in a death spiral.

COFEPRIS (the Mexican version of the FDA) is funding a project to look at regulation and, from my point of view, are taking a smart approach. They are focusing on helping to establish the long term viability of the assisted living industry in Mexico. They recognize that, like many above have stated, that this could represent a great long term income stream of additional american dollars for the Mexican economy...

OK, so what.. the So What is that at least 3 american companies are explore the Puerto Penasco area is a site for future construction of traditional facilities where people (primarily Americans) could start with 100% independent living (think condos for seniors) and have people transition to greater degrees of assistance as they age. According to preliminary assessments Puerto Pensaco is seen as having "a more favorable long term out look than Tijuana/Ensenada for the target population" provided that infrastructure improvements are made. I may be dreaming, but perhaps this would help in getting some additional water resources to PP.

I am trying to picture Tekila Bar with nothing but 85 year olds. Maybe Jorge should think about installing wheel chair ramps and places to put canes :)

Roberto

Well Known Member
After some 8 years here full time and been involved in several very serious medical emergencies, not to mention being married to the daughter of a Mex. physician, plus having fairly extensive medical training myself, there is no way I would go to a Mexican Hospital or a local Dr. for other than simple things. I will not repeat the horror stories here but they were just that. I am sure there are some competent docs in Mexico but by and large the education and training sucks. If one could staff with US docs it would work. Or even Cuban's or Indians.

jerry

Well Known Member
After some 8 years here full time and been involved in several very serious medical emergencies, not to mention being married to the daughter of a Mex. physician, plus having fairly extensive medical training myself, there is no way I would go to a Mexican Hospital or a local Dr. for other than simple things. I will not repeat the horror stories here but they were just that. I am sure there are some competent docs in Mexico but by and large the education and training sucks. If one could staff with US docs it would work. Or even Cuban's or Indians.
Generally agree but CIMA in Hermosillo does hip replacements for under 25k....american trained and certified docs.Also if you get nail by a scorpion the Docs in Agua Prieta treat you with the Mexican anti venom for under 400 bucks.Sew up and repair bullet and knife wounds for Americans that don't want that info out there at the hospital with great skill...they get lots of practice.

Queen of Kings

Well Known Member
I agree. Get the simple stuff done here but anything complicated head for the states.