Californians have discovered new coastal hwy, from Baja Ca

azdiva

Staying at the Sonoran Sea this past weekend,was pretty enlightening. I knew only a few gringos
would be there, as i heard that there was a mass exodus to the border, businesses were closing
and everyone was wearing masks...there was the fear of closing the border they said. Then all
my friends decided to cancel at the last minute. So What, I'm still going. Packed the sanitizers,
bleach, soaps and even surgical masks expecting the worse. Cruised through the border at 11 AM
Fri, no traffic north or south. A few people were wearing masks, more looking like painters or
drywallers at work. Vasquez was dead, no one there, no one at Rico's Tacos. We commented
that we'll have the whole beach to ourselves. Arrived at RP at went to Sandy Beach and Reef
to have a beer and ponder at whose camping. 3 campsites on the beach, Reef was closed
for remodeling as some parties from El Paso had purchased the business and was readying it
for Memorial weekend. Head on over to JJ's, 6 persons at 2 PM. Checked into the condo
and noticed about 30 cars in the parking area, plated from Sonora, and Baja Norte.
We speak a little spanish and started finding alot were from Tiajuana, and Mexicali, all drove
on the new highway. They liked the fact of the water warmer, beach cleaner, and able to
keep a wary eye on their kids from the condos. A few were from Caborca, and even met
some from Juarez. None trusted the local restaurants either from cost or quality and most
decided to cook at the condos, cook on the beach or use the resorts charcoal grilles. There was
some good partying on the beach Fri and Sat nights. Most retired to bed around 9pm and
the entire place went silent. Apparently the force closings of businesses, Mexican labor
day was a good reason to get to the beach with their families. All the restaurants and bars
on sat were deserted, but the beach was crowded. Old port was jammed on Sunday, and found
a parking space 2 blocks away. The taco stands and restaurants that catered to the Mexicans
were the ones busy, ones attractive to gringos...deserted. Most food workers wearing masks
seemed to assure their customers. Left RP on Monday at 1PM to a 40 minute wait to cross
border. Had a great time as always and now have to deal with the drama and 7 day quarantine
from my business associates, because i was in mexico. My biggest regret is telling people I was
there. Be careful on who you invite or tell your going there. My advice to condo owners are,
make sure your amenities and kitchen are up to mexican standards and not american trash and
you'll continue to rent, Know your renters are from Mexico, not Phoenix. Entertain their kids
with spanish books, dvds, games etc, and you'll have a much larger market. The george forman
barbecues, american satellite tv, crockpots etc, are of no value to them. when in doubt ask
a mexican.

jerry

Coastal Highway route update

The "Costera".
This highway follows the eastern coastline of the Sea of Cortez from Tijuana to Rocky Point and on to Puerto Libertad (approximately 100 miles south of Santo Tomás) and finally to Guaymas, 300 miles south of Santo Tomás. The portion between Tijuana and Rocky Point has already been completed and customers from San Diego can drive to Santo Tomás in 6 hours. The segment between Rocky Point and Desemboque follows the current road alignment from Rocky Point to Caborca until the "machudo" curve where the dirt road short cut heads south to the ejido by Santo Tomás (Alvaro Obregon). At this point, the coastal highway will continue due south and pass on the eastern edge of the ejido and continue south to the road to Desemboque. This will bring a major highway within 7 miles of Santo Tomás.
The portion of the coastal highway between the "machudo" curve (the sharp curve that turns east toward Caborca where we have our first billboard sign) and the ejido is being surveyed and staked and is scheduled to be paved by December, 2009. By January, 2010, travelers coming from Rocky Point will be able to drive directly to the ejido and shorten the trip on paved road by 10 miles.

don't know which road you drove but the road from tiajuana eould be highway2 to mexicalli tohighway5 to highway 4 to riito to highway3 to el golfo de santa clara and then to penasco. the road from the check point about 20 miles north of el golfo is still torn up with heavy reconstruction. it is passable but very rough and dusty. we were just there this weekend. drove both directions.