Calling the U.S. from Mexico

dwig222

My daughter has a very important court date on the 28th and we will be in Rocky Point that day. I want to call her to hear the outcome, but Verizon wants 99 cents a minute. Even if I buy a phone card Verizon will still charge me if I use my cell phone. What is the best way (and cheapest) to call the U.S. from Mexico if I just want to pay enough for one 20-30 minute call?

Kea

MagicJack lets you call for free. But if you don't want to buy a MagicJack just for one call, there are places around town that will let you use their phone. The ones I can think of off the top of my head are Max's and Latitude 31. I'm not sure if they would have a problem with a 20 - 30 minute call or if they would limit you to 5 or 10 minutes.

Good luck.

I have Cricket and all I needed to do was buy Mexico time. Without getting to detailed, mexico uses a differnt cell phone band and your phone needs to be set up to work or it will go into roaming. I purchased 60 min for like 7 bux for my Cricket line. Otherwise I wouldn't have any service at all. Check with Verizon and see if the offer an option like that......Or you can use Marks. Who is Mark? LOL

GV Jack

Snorin God
Go to Max's, take the whole family for lunch or dinner and drinks and John won't have a problem !!
Get one of their great Bloddy Mary's while you're there.

While I hate to admit it do the smart thing that Jerry did. Go to Walmart, get a prepaid AT & T Go Phone. $16.00 Works in MX through Telcel and about 4minutes per $. Correct me if I'm wrong, Jerry. (You always do) You can recharge it and use it whenever you go. Verizon's coverage is spotty at best and a rip off. Make sure you turn off Data Roaming on Verizon BEFORE you enter Mexico. You won't believe the data roaming charges if you don't. Caught me just once for about $160.00 US. Now I'm on Virgin Mobile and I'm saving about $70.00/month

Happy travels.

Attachments

ATT Go Phones are your best option. You buy them at Walmart cheap and prepaid mins in Mexico to the US are 25cents minute

dwig222

Thanks for the replies. Verizon doesn't have any options for buying international time. I might go buy one of those cheap phones. I've already bought three for my grandkids so I know what you are talking about. I think they're only $10. I never realized you could get charged for roaming time in Mexico if you leave your phone on. I usually remember to turn it off, but now I'm going to put it on my list with bring horseradish.

GV Jack

Snorin God
Not only turn it off, but take out the battery or turn off the data roaming. That's what the folks at Verizon told me after the fact.

Rhino

I got nailed by Verizon for roaming in Mexico also. Now I put it in airplane mode and turn it off....does the trick. My Mexico phone needs are satisfied via a simple flip phone which I bought a few years ago and phone TelCel cards available almost anywhere.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Jerry, whats cheaper a 300 peso telcel phone and a $10 telcel prepay card, or one of these ATT Go phones? When making a local 638 call in Rocky Point do you have to dial an international code because its an american phone?

jerry

the att is cheaper for calling back to the states(which is what i use it for) plus you can fill it up over the internet with ease.
Jerry, whats cheaper a 300 peso telcel phone and a $10 telcel prepay card, or one of these ATT Go phones? When making a local 638 call in Rocky Point do you have to dial an international code because its an american phone?

The most flexible option is buy a unlocked Dual Sim Card GSM phone...about $20 on ebay. Then you can use a Telcel Simcard and ATT Go Phone Sim Card

mis2810

The most flexible option is buy a unlocked Dual Sim Card GSM phone...about $20 on ebay. Then you can use a Telcel Simcard and ATT Go Phone Sim Card
How much is to buy a Telcel Sim Card in RP? Do you buy it at Telcel or do other places sell them?