Can I cross without a passcard going into mexico?

Hooch

I had to apply for a certified birth cert from nebraska and it wont be here by the time I leave for my passcard. Are they hassling people on the mexican side crossing in Senoita? I know the US will let me in with my DL and birth cert but what about Mexico now or are they still just waiving people through?

thanks

Hooch

Cool Im riding down with my parents to their house for bike week, and I couldnt find my imprinted birth certificate and Nebraska is saying its gonna be two weeks untill i get it here in az, thanks

I can't say whether you'll get "hassled", but 2 trips back, I was asked for my passport, and vehicle registration when I got the red light crossing into Mexico.

It became a law in Mexico to have a passport a little over a year ago. My husband forgot his passport about 6 months ago, he was detained for about an hour before he was allowed to cross into the US. It always depends on who stops you and what mood they are in.

It became a law in Mexico to have a passport a little over a year ago. My husband forgot his passport about 6 months ago, he was detained for about an hour before he was allowed to cross into the US. It always depends on who stops you and what mood they are in.
You are saying two different things. A law in Mexico??? You mean in the US to cross FROM Mexico? First of all, they passed a passport requirement for crossing the border on land (i.e. not by sea or air), but it was NOT a law. If you can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you are a US citizen, the longest they can legally detain you is 24 hours, and we have yet to hear about that happening at the Lukeville border, at least for an actual American.

Since this border requirement--not an law--went into effect in July of 2008 or so, I've gone back and forth at least two-dozen times with only my AZ DL and a birth certificate. I used to get the two-minute speech about getting my passport, but now they don't even bother. Sure, get your passport, whatever, but it is NOT a law. (That said, if I was not a green-eyed Irish boy, I probably would be hassled more often and long ago would have gotten the passport to save my fellow vacationers any delays at the border.)

As far as going into Mexico, they are concerned mostly about stolen vehicles, smuggling weapons, etc., not about proof of citizenship.

Hooch

Well I do plan to smuggle my good looks and witty personality in so I may be there for a day or two.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
The WHTI is exactly that it is an initiative which as Zona points out is not a law. Initiatives are items that are easy to push through red tape to be a means to an end for some law maker or someone. It is also of interest that initiatives do have expiration dates. The right for an American citizen to go home as it were is protected by the US Constitution and is not over shadowed by a simple initiative.