Can't seem to find an answer and hoping someone here knows...

Bill W

So I'm thinking about moving down from Phoenix and getting my temporary or permanent visa. I know you can fill out paper work to bring house hold goods that are at least 6 months old. But I see language that seems to indicate a limit on electronics and a fairly high duty to be paid on them if over this limit. I can't seem to find the actual limit or what the duty might be. Does anyone know for sure? Also it seems to indicate that whatever you bring in you need to take out if you leave? What if you stay but it just wears out and you replace it? Say something like a piece of furniture?

ernesto

I have been sneakin stuff across that border for 22 years. Thats half the fun. I have had to pay taxes maybe twice. Take a little each time and don't get greedy. Big ticket items like tv's and air conditioning are red flags, as are appliances. If you have a few things wait at the border until you can let a few cross in front of you, alot less likely to get the red if they already got a customer. Always look straight ahead, even if you get the green you can be stopped, try to roll it, but if they rap on your car, gotta stop. Play dumb, no spanish, make it cumbersome and alot of times they'll let you go. Always someone new there, i used to keep a twenty or two in my pocket to throw down, no more. they have cameras too. Interesting that when you cross into TJ it's a wide open berth with no one stopping anyone, but Sonoita is different. I have played the resident card on occasion, sometimes it works. Last time I was asked for my dog's papers I shrugged and asked why, she's as Mexican as you, it worked.

playaperro

El Pirata
I have been sneakin stuff across that border for 22 years. Thats half the fun. I have had to pay taxes maybe twice. Take a little each time and don't get greedy. Big ticket items like tv's and air conditioning are red flags, as are appliances. If you have a few things wait at the border until you can let a few cross in front of you, alot less likely to get the red if they already got a customer. Always look straight ahead, even if you get the green you can be stopped, try to roll it, but if they rap on your car, gotta stop. Play dumb, no spanish, make it cumbersome and alot of times they'll let you go. Always someone new there, i used to keep a twenty or two in my pocket to throw down, no more. they have cameras too. Interesting that when you cross into TJ it's a wide open berth with no one stopping anyone, but Sonoita is different. I have played the resident card on occasion, sometimes it works. Last time I was asked for my dog's papers I shrugged and asked why, she's as Mexican as you, it worked.
Hola Ernesto, Yeah I just crossed a year old led tv maybe 40 inch or so with no problem, then I drove up a little and got the dog lady, she says you got mascot papers, pues vive en penasco el perro, she says again quero ver papeles de mascot, ok i said, lucky I had just taken the dog for it's vacine shots and that was good enough.

marybna

I have done 4 places in the last 10 years. We had an open trailer and an suv. I made copies of all receipts and listed everything. Park took it up to them. they looked at my paperwork which I had totaled. They told what to go pay the bank. I did that and got back in the car and crossed the border. I never once in all those time had anyone look in the trailer or car. I have had more trouble with the US Border people. I have had my car pulled over out of line and searched. I have had my cooler searched. I am a senior with no flashy jewelry. I am taking a new dog down this time so today I am working on his paperwork. Someone put a blank vet certificate on this site to download. I can't find it but it was helpful.

Interesting................

Coming from Yuma, we cross at San Luis Rio Colorado. Every trip down the past year and a half we took furniture, to include tables, chairs, two new A/C units, electronics, bedding, kitchen equipment, etc. I always had receipts since all of it was new. The big stuff was in plain sight in the bed of my truck. Not once was I questioned about the any of it. The ONLY thing they were concerned with was the paperwork on my boat and trailer. A good diversion maybe?

JJ