Car permits for driving to Cabo

garyd

I know I have read this info somewhere but can't locate it. Can anyone tell me what paperwork I need when I stop at the border to get my permits. Thanks

garyd

I will. Thanks. Just about everyone I have talked to has told me to take Hwy 1 down the baja. Supposedly the safest during daylight hours.

garyd

Please post after you get there I am also of thinking of driving down in april Mexonline.com Driving your car to Mexico - Information from the Government of Mexico
Well we made it to Cabo. No problems whatsoever. I will post more when I have time as it was interesting. However one thing to note is my crossing at Tegate was the easiest crossing ever, including Lukeville. I had 2 fully loaded trucks and a sealed trailer and they just asked me what I had. Never asked for vehicle registration or titles, no nada. No search. Also NO permits needed for all of Baja. Showed Aduna my FM3 and he said have a safe trip. More later. Gary

garyd

My typing is horrible so I will post a little at a time. As I said I crosed at Tecate no problems. Drove to San Quintin which is south of Ensenada. Along the drive we went through "The Wine Country" no time to stop but I wish I had as I had a bottel of "UNICO" last night. It is a blend of Cabernet and Merlot from Santo Thomas and it was fantastic. So try to take a short break from your trip and check out the wine areas. We stayed at the Mission Inn de Santa Maria (used to be La Pinta) it is located at the very south end of the small town south of and connected to San Quintin. Big sign on the right you can't miss it. You turn right and drive down this road that turns into a tunnel of tress lining either side of the road. They grow tomatoes, cucumbers and strawberrys. Try to buy some they are fantastic too. The hotel was awesome, on the ocean and not expensive. Around 500 pesos per night. Guiermo (SP?) ran everything and was very gracious. Great food and drink as well as pet friendly. Next stop Guerro Negro.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Awesome story keep it coming. Yes if you make the trip from Tecate to Ensenada stop in the wine country for at least a day. It is one of our most popular out of town tours!

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
My typing is horrible so I will post a little at a time. As I said I crosed at Tecate no problems. Drove to San Quintin which is south of Ensenada. Along the drive we went through "The Wine Country" no time to stop but I wish I had as I had a bottel of "UNICO" last night. It is a blend of Cabernet and Merlot from Santo Thomas and it was fantastic. So try to take a short break from your trip and check out the wine areas. We stayed at the Mission Inn de Santa Maria (used to be La Pinta) it is located at the very south end of the small town south of and connected to San Quintin. Big sign on the right you can't miss it. You turn right and drive down this road that turns into a tunnel of tress lining either side of the road. They grow tomatoes, cucumbers and strawberrys. Try to buy some they are fantastic too. The hotel was awesome, on the ocean and not expensive. Around 500 pesos per night. Guiermo (SP?) ran everything and was very gracious. Great food and drink as well as pet friendly. Next stop Guerro Negro.

Pics or it didn't happen! lol jk PICS PICS PICS PICS

garyd

Roads on the baja go from narrow and straight to narrow and winding, not curva but switchback windy. Not a bad drive, just sometimess tedious from staring at the yellow line. I personally would not drive it at nigh only because the big rigs, including 5th wheels take up a lot of pavement and sometimes within 6 inches of you so daytime is easier. Stayed in Guerro Negro the 2nd night in Mexico at the Halfway House (FKA La Pinta) on the right as you enter the town. Big Military base across the street. No wifi in the rooms but in the HUGE Lobby. Played pool in the lobby, drank teqila and our dogs were allowed with us in the room and the Lobby as well. Great dinner in the restaurant. They were out of Flan so the Manager went home and brought some back from his house for us!!!! (Try that at the Westin). We did not go into town but was told it has lots of small hotels, shops, places to eat and the bay for Whale watching. Intersting waas the weather, we were on the ocean but it was cold, gray and windy. We asked the manager if it was normally like this and he said it was except for 2 weeks in August when the sun came out. Not sure if he was joking but we wished we had brought some winter clothing. Next stop Loreto.

MIRAMAR

we were on the ocean but it was cold, gray and windy. We asked the manager if it was normally like this and he said it was except for 2 weeks in August when the sun came out. Not sure if he was joking but we wished we had brought some winter clothing.
That sounds like typical California coast weather, so I'm not surprised!

garyd

:p
Roads on the baja go from narrow and straight to narrow and winding, not curva but switchback windy. Not a bad drive, just sometimess tedious from staring at the yellow line. I personally would not drive it at nigh only because the big rigs, including 5th wheels take up a lot of pavement and sometimes within 6 inches of you so daytime is easier. Stayed in Guerro Negro the 2nd night in Mexico at the Halfway House (FKA La Pinta) on the right as you enter the town. Big Military base across the street. No wifi in the rooms but in the HUGE Lobby. Played pool in the lobby, drank teqila and our dogs were allowed with us in the room and the Lobby as well. Great dinner in the restaurant. They were out of Flan so the Manager went home and brought some back from his house for us!!!! (Try that at the Westin). We did not go into town but was told it has lots of small hotels, shops, places to eat and the bay for Whale watching. Intersting waas the weather, we were on the ocean but it was cold, gray and windy. We asked the manager if it was normally like this and he said it was except for 2 weeks in August when the sun came out. Not sure if he was joking but we wished we had brought some winter clothing. Next stop Loreto.
I forgot to say that there some military check points along the waay but they were quick and friendly and never checked my cars or trailer except just befroe Guerro Negro. They looked thru the trucks and asked and assisted me with opening the trailer (which was bolted and locked) lokked into a couple of plastic boxes saw clothes and food and then helped me bolt up and lock the trailer. Very nice, machine guns and all. Anyway on to Loreto. We drove across the Baja to Santa Rosalia (Coast of the SEa of Cortez) this is where the ferry comes over from the mainland. They were either repairing or building a pier, not sure which so it may have been for the ferry or the cruise ships. As we drove up over the mountain out of the flatland to get to Santa Rosalia it reminded me of the terrian around the Hoover dam. Very winding with big dropoffs, but spectacular. As we approached the coast the Sea looked like a mirage but as we approached it was amazing. Santa Rosalia itself was more like an industrial town with hills and mountains on the right and the sea to the left. Drove along the coast on and off thru Mulege and into Loreto. Absolutely fantastic and well worth the entire trip. In Loreto we stayed at the Hacienda Suites. I highly reccomend it as well as the Steak house next door. I can't even describe the ambiance but it was like nothing I had seen before. We walked in they took us down this dark hallway that opened up into a courtyard filled with trees and flowers. It was hard to beleive we had just been on a main street in Loreto. Great food Great people. Speaking of that at the Hotel, Eduardo the barteneder not only served us drinks but he played a dice game with us called Farkle whis was so much fun. Teaching him in Spanish the rules of a crazy dice game while getting drunk is, well you would of had to been there. Nyelli who checked us in made sure we had a pet friendly room that had wifi. She walked around with her phone and checked each room to see which one had the best signal. Talk about service !!!!!. When we left I forgot my wife's cell phone and when I got to Cabo I called Nyelli and she was holding for us expecting to come back at some point. When I explained to her we were staying in cabo she shipped the phone to me (paying out of her own pocket). She gave me her bank account number and asked me if I would reimburse her by depositing pesos in her acoount. She sent the phone (packed with care and concern for it's safety) before I even deposited the pesos !!!. I can't say enough about her, Eduardo and the Hacienda Suites. If you go there tell Nyelli thanks for sending the phone and ask Eduardo about "Farkle". I'm sure they will be stunned that you know about it. Well, on to Cabo. :p:p:p

mis2810

Thanks Gary! I love reading stories like this! I hope you figure out how to post the pictures, I would love to see them.

garyd

Thanks Gary! I love reading stories like this! I hope you figure out how to post the pictures, I would love to see them.
I am working on it but between the move and work I am buried. i am at the Cabo Airport right now flying to San diego for meetings. Crazy Huh?