Catchin fish in Las Conchas

R

reportjones

I live in Las Conchas and cant catch a fish from the sandyshore. What is my best chance of catching fish on a sandy beach?

don

Hi,
These two species we've caught from a sandy shore: http://www.mexfish.com/fish/ccorb/ccorb.htm and these: http://www.mexfish.com/fish/shtcorv/shtcorv.htm.

Usually we catch the California Corbina during the cooler months (now) and the shortfin corvina (some call a sea trout) later on, mid/late April. Some fellas' use Kastmasters for the corvina with great success. The problem I've found fishing in the Los Conchas area is too many people in the water during the summer months. So, we would fish at night, and do best on the rising to full tide.

We, my buddies and I would use 'chovies suspended from a casting/popping bobber for both species. And, we would do best with 'chovies instead of squid. Shrimp worked well too. We usually were out in a boat during the day, hence fishing in the evening fit our schedule. Come to think of it, we are also sitting back in our chairs relaxing at night, watching the stars, so maybe thats why don't use lures... ;)

I know Kenny and Ric both fished with lures during the day, and Ric even has perfected a casting lure which he sells on his website http://www.ricsrockypointfishing.com/. From what I've heard, the lure catches fish. What more could you ask for?

Good luck!

Don

B

bahiatrader

It isn't, "can't catch a fish", Jones. It's "haven't caught a fish". My first comment is, You can't catch a fish on rod and reel if you don't have your line in the water. Out of ignorance and lack of a better opportunity, I've fished almost every sandy beach I've had access to in the Rocky Point area (and almost every other place I've been) using both artificial lures and bait. the only places I haven't tried was where the water was cluttered with swimmers. I might have tried there too, but I don't have a license or permit for swimmers, not even catch-and-release.
My most consistant success has been with a bait and a weight. Calamari is a pretty universal bait, and that's what I've caught the most fish off of the beach with. That could be due to it's availability. You can always find calamari on the malecon at Rocky Point. I've had varying degrees of success with cut bait, shrimp, and minnows, dead or alive. If I have the opportunity to use a live minnow, I like to thread the line through a two to four ounce egg shaped sinker to allow a little freedom for movement. I have even caught fish from the beach in Oregon using chunks of hot dog and night crawlers. I don't know if Mexican fish are into stuff like that, but I'd give 'em a try if the need and opportunity presented itself. I've done the best on an incoming or high tide. If there's any structure or reef in front of you, that might be even better.
I've used an antique Pflueger surf casting reel and rod. My latest set-up of choice has been a spinning outfit with 200+ yd. of 20 lb. PowerPro line. I usually bring along a forked stick, an umbrella, a snack and beverage of choice. I've taken a folding chair a couple of times, but I'm just as happy laying or sitting on the beach. You might even bring along something to read or a radio. I've beached a couple of guitar fish. They can give you a pretty good tussle. I've never tried to eat one, but I'm told they are edible. All in all, it's not a bad way to spend part of a day or an evening. I prefer it to watching Dias de Viva Nosotros on TV.

HAPPY

User is currently banned
~~~ Hey Jones, ~~~ you don't have to go to the sandy beaches in pp to catch ~~~ BIG ~~~ fish, ~~~ as you can now see, this forum is ~~~ LOADED ~~~ with ~~~ :fish: y :fish: y :fish: y,s ~~~ Hell you are doing pretty good already, you just caught yourself a ~~~ Don big fin croaker fish, ~~~ & a Bahia large mouth Bass, ~~~ then there is the ~~~ Kenny gulf spin Grouper, :lol: :lol: :lol: ~~~ which by the way is the easyest of all the fish here to ~~~ HOOK, ~~~ & the best part is you don't have to spend a lot on BAIT, ~~~ THESE FISH WILL READILY TAKE A ~~~ SNOT WORM, ~~~ :lol: :lol: :lol: , ~~~

~~~ COME ON, COME ON, ~~~ :fish: Y :fish: Y :fish: Y,

~~~ ACHI, ACHI, ACHI, ~~~ :lol: :lol: :lol:

~~~ & IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME , JUST STAND BY & WATCH, ~~~ THEY ALREADY BUMPING THE ~~~ HOOK, ~~~ :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've also had some action in March/April off the beach in front of a rental house in PP. There seemed to be a lot of guitarfish (More often called sand sharks) and a few California Corbina and other misc fish.

I use a 2 or 3 oz lead on a running trace (Thread your line through the weight hole, then attach a swivel, then add a ~2ft hook line of fluoro/mono on the other end of the swivel and add a circle hook to the other end of the hook line. The idea is that the fish feels no resistance from the weight when it pulls on the bait.

Hook size is dictated by bait size rather than anything else. I use shell-on frozen shrimp for bait, hooking once through the main body, then twist and put the hook point through the shell at the tail, leaving the point exposed. Seems to work fine for me.

Rod is best suited for casting ~3 oz weight, reel and line to suit the rod. I like to keep a ziploc bag in my pocket with a dozen of so baits, then wade/walk/cast. Helps keep away from most non-fishing beach-goers. Watch out for the stingrays - Do the 'shuffle' (Although I have still got hit once or twice...). There are sometimes so many of them that my catch of foul-hooked stingrays exceeds my real catch....

Oh yes - Take some long-nosed pliers in your pocket also, as you may get something you do not want to get your fingers too close too the mouth of. Circle hooks are very good at catching the corner of the mouth, so you should be able to just slide the hook out with the pliers, with the fish on the beach.

Good Fishing! And let us know what happens, good or bad.

Ed

don

Way to go Sally!

Snot worm! Hah, loved your reply.

Uh, I see you couldn't add anything! Hmmm, you only talk of fishing, kinda' of smells fishy to me...
~~~ COME ON, COME ON, ~~~ :fish: Y :fish: Y :fish: Y,! Now will we catch a Slippery,Slimy, Sally Sucker? ~~~ COME ON, COME ON, ~~~ :fish: Y :fish: Y :fish: Y,..

Jones, the reason why we went to Casting/Popping Bobbers is we darn near eliminated catching guitarfish and rays.

I like Ed's idea of frozen shrimp. I'm sure they last longer then frozen 'chovies. Ed's post reminded me of when we used to fish off the bottom, we always had issues with strong currents rolling our bait across the bottom. Hence we were always having to recast due to wave action. We started using flat sinkers and eliminated that problem. But like Ed said, you need to rig up so there is no weight felt.

Don

B

bahiatrader

Double ditto on the pliers. I've caught fish I couldn't identify. A few were so scary looking I didn't even want to touch them. I even have a hook removing gadget a little over a foot long, but I've never used it. I also had a trigger fish bite a big chunk out of my fingertip...one time!

E

El Feo

bahiatrader said:
Double ditto on the pliers. I've caught fish I couldn't identify. A few were so scary looking I didn't even want to touch them. I even have a hook removing gadget a little over a foot long, but I've never used it. I also had a trigger fish bite a big chunk out of my fingertip...one time!
I have a medium sized medical hemostat, also commonly called Kellys, hanging from the fishin fanny pack. They will lock onto the hook and free up your hand to work the hook out withour having to keep the grip tight on teh needlenose pliars.

B

bahiatrader

How about Kellies for a bg hook in a big fish? Maybe mine was smaller, but I could put a lot more force on my needle nose and my multi tool hanging off of a piece of parachute cord which is my weapon of choice now. My Kelly worked great for fresh water fly fishing.