cell phones

D

DTPHX

does verizon have service in RP? If not, what are some ways to get cell service while there?

I dont think Verizon works in RP. I know that AT&T and T-Mobile work with a International Plan. Another option is to buy an unlocked GSM phone in the US, then buy TelCel or Movistar Simcard and minutes.

Negative on Verizon.....Altel was working for a while, but hear that it isn't again. I have AT&T which works (so does T-Mobile)....just a bit expensive to use. Pick up a cheap Nokia phone (from AT&T or T-Mobile) on their prepay plan (Pay as you go)....get it unlocked (plenty of places in town that will do it), and get a Telcel Sim and use the Amigo cards(Prepay). I think I paid $18 for the Telcel Sim card (get it in RP and not on the internet....those prices are a RIP-OFF). The Amigo minutes are good for 60 days, and if you refresh them in a reasonable amount of time (before your number gets disabled) any remaining minutes get rolled back in.

When we go down to RP, we turn off our AT&T phones and use the Telcel ones. AT&T will still charge you for incoming calls even if you don't answer the call, as long as the phone is turned on.

Jeff

We have Movistar phones--Telcel is VERY expensive to call to the states. It costs us $1.20 USD to call the states for 20 MINUTES! We went thru $20 USD in about 6 minutes using Telcel. :eek3:

Jeff....I'd be interested in getting some info on the Movistar plan that you have....Telcel also has the $1.20 for 20 minutes to the states, but it's not available on the Amigo (prepay plan that I use).

Jeff

we just bought the phones, not sure of the plan, but calling party pays. we just re-up when we are down there @ any tiendita that sells movistar minutes and add that way. as long as the phone is being used, you dont lose your minutes. it will actually connect to t-mobile and cingular in the states and movistar and telcel in mexico. i just call my house once a month to keep the service active! ;)