cell phones

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
My calls out are straight TelMex 2 pesos a minute to the states about 1.6 cents a minute I have a wi fi blackberry that is configured to operate as a wi fi phone whenever I am in a zone - my cell phne cost went down 350.00 usd per month when I made the change. There are alternatives - check it out

Can you use Magicjack via your laptop and headphones, as you do with Skype, or do you need to connect your laptop to an actual phone?

New laws for Mexican cellphones

There is news about some new regulations for Mexican cellphones: "In yet another attempt to throw a wrench into the operations of drug cartels and other illegal operations, Mexico is changing its laws on the use of cellphones. It started back in April, with all new Mexican cellphones being registered with a new government agency (RENAUT). The user and the assigned number are thus uniquely identified. Number portability services will also be introduced so that you can maintain the same cellular number even if you change phones or providers. All existing Mexican cellphones not registered by April 10, 2010 will be deactivated on that day.

Note that cellphones from other countries that are roaming in Mexico are not affected by the new regulations and are exempt from registration."

Read more at http://rptides.blogspot.com/2009/08/beach-buzz-tucson-shuttle-starting-new.html

I've heard that ATT has a new program out for calling in Mexico, supposed to cut roaming charges or something, but I haven't looked into it. Guess I ought to check it out.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Man do I feel stupid.... All I know then is that my landline is a better alternative than skype or vonage because of the bandwidth limitations that come with using telmex.

Jim

I have used magicjack for about a year and love it. No problems at all and I can take it with me when I go to the US. That way I still have my number with me.

Can you use Magicjack via your laptop and headphones, as you do with Skype, or do you need to connect your laptop to an actual phone?
Yes you can use a headphone thru your laptop....I prefer to hook up a phone to the magicjack and even dial thru it (the phone).

Man do I feel stupid.... All I know then is that my landline is a better alternative than skype or vonage because of the bandwidth limitations that come with using telmex.
There was nothing shown on the advertising that Telmex has for their dsl concerning bandwidth...I believe it's a straight 1 mbps line for the cheapest plan, with no max monthly usage. I've been tapping my neighbor's dsl thru wifi, and have had no problems with MagicJack.

La Huerita: Magic jack set up is a PC or laptop with the magicjack plugged into the USB port and then any regular phone plugged into the magicjack. I do not believe you can use head phones and mic. You will need a telephone to plug into the magic jack. If i am incorrect let the experts correct.

La Huerita: Magic jack set up is a PC or laptop with the magicjack plugged into the USB port and then any regular phone plugged into the magicjack. I do not believe you can use head phones and mic. You will need a telephone to plug into the magic jack. If i am incorrect let the experts correct.
There is a menu choice in the MagicJack program that sets it to use your headphone/speaker/mic on laptop or an actual phone plugged into the MagicJack.

jaime grande

Our Love Shack
I have verizon and they say they get service in mexico just not anything north of mexico city !!!! Thanks for all the help.:-D

JimMcG

Verizon works well on the main highway corridors but only 10 or 15 miles below Sonoita in spite of having a large corporate presence in Mexico.

Yeah, don't let the guys at the Verizon store tell you any different--no matter WHAT plan you get, there's no service in Penasco. My friend was sold an international add-on last month to her plan after she complained her phone didn't work in Penasco the month before, even though the salesman said it would when she signed up for a 2-year contract. So this other kid at a Tucson Verizon store swore up and down it'd work with the ad-on, despite what I'd warned her.

Jerk.

Oh, and I think that line from the salespeople about Verizon not working north of Mexico City is a load of crap too--doesn't Verizon work in San Carlos?

JimMcG

Yeah, don't let the guys at the Verizon store tell you any different--no matter WHAT plan you get, there's no service in Penasco. My friend was sold an international add-on last month to her plan after she complained her phone didn't work in Penasco the month before, even though the salesman said it would when she signed up for a 2-year contract. So this other kid at a Tucson Verizon store swore up and down it'd work with the ad-on, despite what I'd warned her.

Jerk.
She can get out of that contract based on nonavailability of Verizon in Penasco.

Well, I think the international $5 add-on will be no problem getting cancelled and a refund, but since she lives in Tucson I doubt she can get out of the whole two-year contract. I'll fwd that suggestion on, though--Thanks!

JimMcG

Remember: 'if she lives in Penasco or has dealings in Penasco or is required to have it in Penasco or is relocating to Penasco etc'. Good luck!