CFE...Don't trust, and verify!

joanC

Well Known Member
CFE is a federal government operation that is the sole supplier of electricity in all of Mexico. It's the most complete state monopoly in the western hemisphere. It does not tolerate competition from wind or solar generation by homeowners.

Many gringos prepay their accounts by 10,000 pesos a couple times a year, ensuring there is enough to cover to avoid cut-off within a week of being overdue.

3 times over the last few years money from my credit balance has "gone missing"...all 3 times in the 1500 to 2900 peso range.

3 times I met with the boss(s) in the back office on Benito Juarez, equipped with all the bills and receipts.

3 times he didn't object to crediting our account with the amount stolen. No apologies, no explanation and no excuses. Just shoulder shrugs.

Nothing I showed him was unusual.

Bienvenidos a Mexico

brokenwave

Well Known Member
When I put peso's on my CFE acct. It's never more than 2000, 3X per year. So far approx 30-50 pesos have disappeared
from my acct credit every 2-3 bills.
I believe they charge you a few percent of your bill to do this.
We're never down for more than 3 weeks at a time and only a few days 2-3X during the summer.
Luckily we only use less than $350 per year of electricity,

Idyllwild

Well Known Member
We have solar panels and for much of the year generate more than we use. But our bill in never zero. There is always about 40 pesos, for renting the meter or something.

playaperro

El Pirata
I pay my bills on the Pangea app, Telmex is getting expensive at 999 pesos for fiber optic with phone service. It’s nice when the pesos are 20/1 today it’s 17.70.
You never win fighting banks and utilities.

richwi

Well Known Member
We put cash in the CFE account and just refresh it periodically. So far it has always balanced to the penny for us. One thing I learned was how to check the remaining balance at CFE, if you set up an online CFE account,. Any credit balance you have doesn't show on your bill. Log into your online account and go to PAGER (the area where you pay) Then click on the area where you select your credit card company, it doesn't matter which you select. Assuming you have a credit balance it will show how much it is along with a notice that you cannot make an advance payment with a credit card.

Old55

Well Known Member
We put cash in the CFE account and just refresh it periodically. So far it has always balanced to the penny for us. One thing I learned was how to check the remaining balance at CFE, if you set up an online CFE account,. Any credit balance you have doesn't show on your bill. Log into your online account and go to PAGER (the area where you pay) Then click on the area where you select your credit card company, it doesn't matter which you select. Assuming you have a credit balance it will show how much it is along with a notice that you cannot make an advance payment with a credit card.
Thanks!