Charter Recommendations

cubbies24

Will be down in Penasco next Thursday to Monday and looking for some recs on fishing charter. Wanting to run offshore and speed jig reefs for grouper, snapper.
Thanks in advance

Don Juan

Grouper....
Rockypoint fishing services
They have a big comfortable slow boat for bigger groups called big mama

They just bought a newer center console

The outfit is under new management and will be operated by pancho which owns fishon and that is a 26 or 28 foot catamaran which has twin 300 outboards I think. Nice setup. Killer captain

da_q-ban_one

Thanks ended up booking Pancho to fish 21 mile reef.
Curious..., may I ask what that is priced at (trip to 21 mile reef)? Also, when are you guys are going out, and might there possibly be room for two more to join your group (myself n wife). Wife don't do much fishing but she likes to come out and enjoy the boat ride and scenery.

I will be down there this week (Wed-Sat) so a Thursday or Friday trip are possibilities for me. Looking to offset the cost of renting a boat by myself.

Thanks in advance, cheers!! :thumbsup:

cubbies24

Curious..., may I ask what that is priced at (trip to 21 mile reef)? Also, when are you guys are going out, and might there possibly be room for two more to join your group (myself n wife). Wife don't do much fishing but she likes to come out and enjoy the boat ride and scenery.

I will be down there this week (Wed-Sat) so a Thursday or Friday trip are possibilities for me. Looking to offset the cost of renting a boat by myself.

Thanks in advance, cheers!! :thumbsup:
I wanna say it was $600 for 21 mile reef trip if my memory is correct. Charter is on Saturday and got buddies down with me this time to split.
Do you surf fish? I'll be doing that rest of time and plenty of fish to be caught from the sand.

da_q-ban_one

I wanna say it was $600 for 21 mile reef trip if my memory is correct. Charter is on Saturday and got buddies down with me this time to split.
Do you surf fish? I'll be doing that rest of time and plenty of fish to be caught from the sand.
Assuming that's for a full day? How many hours is that typically?
I'll prob just go with my trusty panga (La Princessa), and her knowledgeable capt. Francisco and see if he'll make the longer journey out to one of the farther rock piles.
Thanks for the info!!

cubbies24

Yeah full day trip. Boat looks to be probably 28ft with twin outboards so more fishing time on the grounds. I love fishing pangas myself but have some buddies with that aren't used to offshore fishing at all. Let me know how your trip goes hope you get on some good ones.

cubbies24

Well fishing was little slow. Lots of yellowtail in area and was able to get one right away on a popper but so much bait in area made them a tough bite. Got 2 nice cabrilla and a gulf grouper as well. Overall had a good time and caught some nice fish.

audsley

Well Known Member
Well fishing was little slow. Lots of yellowtail in area and was able to get one right away on a popper but so much bait in area made them a tough bite.
Had the same experience in Lobos last weekend. Tons of baitfish and not much grouper or snapper action. I also noticed more nets and nets close to shore in places I hadn't seen them before. I suspect the situation was made worse by a temporary drop in quality fish in the immediate area due to the extensive netting. I wish Mexico would go to a licensing system for nets and then enforce it.

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
Did you ever think that Mexicans in Mexico just might tell you to piss off?

They don't need YOU to tell THEM about needing no stinking licenses!

da_q-ban_one

Well fishing was little slow. Lots of yellowtail in area and was able to get one right away on a popper but so much bait in area made them a tough bite. Got 2 nice cabrilla and a gulf grouper as well. Overall had a good time and caught some nice fish.
Likewise for us fishing was slow as well, though we were mostly bottom fishing. The group I met and went out fishing with (nice family from San Luis) went the following day as well, this time in search of yellowtail, and managed to catch only one.
When we went, the fish just didn't seem plentiful/biting as much. We caught a nice haul of these corvina-look alikes (I forget the name), as well as some croakers (viejitas) and a sandbass here and there. But all in all, not the best trip I've had with Franscisco, in all my years fishing with him. And we weren't exactly close to shore, it was I think a 15 or 16 mi point.. fishing was actually better once we got back closer to shore (a few miles off of Las Conchas). I suppose that's why they call it fishing and not catching ;)
(BTW.. I also had the same server error when I tried attaching 3 pics, despite having them resized to about 250kbs)