Cheap beer

So, i am a long time visitor to RPM. But I am a first time poster to this forum. Jerry was helping me around my house and let me know about this forum. I indicated to him that my wife and I have been coming down for years, and got marrried at Los Glorias.

So over years we have seen several changes happen as RPM grows. But the one thing I have been disappointed the most about is the growth of beer prices. Does anyone recommend a place to get cheap beer in RPM anymore? I can get beer cheaper in the US it seems than in RPM anymore.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I have been told the beer is the cheapest at the liquor store on Benito Juarez and the railroad tracks...... So that's where I buy it. I don't know personally because a case of beer lasts us a long time. I drink Ron Bacardi Anejo and Mexican bottled coke mostly........

rplarry

So, i am a long time visitor to RPM. But I am a first time poster to this forum. Jerry was helping me around my house and let me know about this forum. I indicated to him that my wife and I have been coming down for years, and got marrried at Los Glorias.

So over years we have seen several changes happen as RPM grows. But the one thing I have been disappointed the most about is the growth of beer prices. Does anyone recommend a place to get cheap beer in RPM anymore? I can get beer cheaper in the US it seems than in RPM anymore.
Beer prices have gone up, especially for a case. At the same time, a case used to contain 20 bottles per, and they are now 24 per case. With that being the "case", the deposit amount has gone up as well and has effected the total purchase price.

The days of $14-16 per case like it was in the 80's & 90's is ancient history.

Cheap Beer or not......I'd sooner pay more for beer there than here. (US)
For some reason, drinking my beer from the condo patio, watching my family enjoy the pool and the ocean beats my best day at home.
JUST SAYIN' :smile:
And I can't wait for my next trip.

Cheap Beer or not......I'd sooner pay more for beer there than here. (US)
For some reason, drinking my beer from the condo patio, watching my family enjoy the pool and the ocean beats my best day at home.
JUST SAYIN' :smile:
And I can't wait for my next trip.
Yeah.....What he said !!

Wife and I were just talking about this very thing a couple of days ago, while the beer taste good at home, for some reason it tastes a whole lot better sitting on the patio looking out over the Sea of Cortez.

rplarry

Yeah.....What he said !!

Wife and I were just talking about this very thing a couple of days ago, while the beer taste good at home, for some reason it tastes a whole lot better sitting on the patio looking out over the Sea of Cortez.
I would agree, the beer definitely taste better in Mexico. One reason is obviously the location, being with family and friends and all the memories, etc. I think it also has to do with fact that the beer made and distributed in Mexico, tastes better and is smoother, for whatever reason ?

For instance, Pacifico bought in the USA is distributed through Chicago. An imported Pacifico to the US and a Pacifico bought in Mexico tastes a little bit different. I once tested this theory by pouring a Pacifico brought back from RP and a Pacifico imported into the U.S. & purchased in the U.S. into 2 separate clear glasses. The color of the 2 beers were definitely different. Kind of interesting.

I do think the location, being on the beach in Mexico, makes the biggest difference though!

For what it's worth....was told by the guy at the liquor store at Benito Juarez & RR Tracks, the reason Pacifico is cheaper than other beer is because they "wash out" their bottles and refill them. As opposed to others who recycle them and make them "new" again...not really sure what that means, but it doesn't scare me !! I'm partial to Dos Equis with Lime/Limon....This from a hillbilly in Coors Country !!

playaperro

El Pirata
For what it's worth....was told by the guy at the liquor store at Benito Juarez & RR Tracks, the reason Pacifico is cheaper than other beer is because they "wash out" their bottles and refill them. As opposed to others who recycle them and make them "new" again...not really sure what that means, but it doesn't scare me !! I'm partial to Dos Equis with Lime/Limon....This from a hillbilly in Coors Country !!
Try walking out of JJ's with any bottle!

I would agree, the beer definitely taste better in Mexico. One reason is obviously the location, being with family and friends and all the memories, etc. I think it also has to do with fact that the beer made and distributed in Mexico, tastes better and is smoother, for whatever reason ?

For instance, Pacifico bought in the USA is distributed through Chicago. An imported Pacifico to the US and a Pacifico bought in Mexico tastes a little bit different. I once tested this theory by pouring a Pacifico brought back from RP and a Pacifico imported into the U.S. & purchased in the U.S. into 2 separate clear glasses. The color of the 2 beers were definitely different. Kind of interesting.

I do think the location, being on the beach in Mexico, makes the biggest difference though!

Beer in the U.S. cannot have a higher alcohol content than 3.5% if it is to be sold in multiple states. Think of the Smokey and the Bandit movies where Coors was smuggled between states because it used to be a higher alcohol beer. Coors had to modify and lower the content to be sold US wide.

In Mexico, Dos XX and Corona are almost 5% beers and are brewed differently than the US versions.

So part of the reason the beers taste better is they actually are better....and of course the view of the Sea of Cortez.

The beer you buy at the duty free at the border is the US versions, so while cheap, you get what you pay for. I would always recommend buying your beer in Mexico.

garyd

Beer in the U.S. cannot have a higher alcohol content than 3.5% if it is to be sold in multiple states. Think of the Smokey and the Bandit movies where Coors was smuggled between states because it used to be a higher alcohol beer. Coors had to modify and lower the content to be sold US wide.

In Mexico, Dos XX and Corona are almost 5% beers and are brewed differently than the US versions.

So part of the reason the beers taste better is they actually are better....and of course the view of the Sea of Cortez.

The beer you buy at the duty free at the border is the US versions, so while cheap, you get what you pay for. I would always recommend buying your beer in Mexico.
Vodka and Tequila is the same everywhere :veg:

badfish

Beer in the U.S. cannot have a higher alcohol content than 3.5% if it is to be sold in multiple states.[/QUOTE

I do not understand this comment. There are are plenty of domestic and imported beers that are sold in multiple states with a higher alcohol content than 3.5%. What am I missing?

rplarry

Beer in the U.S. cannot have a higher alcohol content than 3.5% if it is to be sold in multiple states.[/QUOTE

Badfish reply
[QUOTE I do not understand this comment. There are are plenty of domestic and imported beers that are sold in multiple states with a higher alcohol content than 3.5%. What am I missing? [/QUOTE

I would agree with Badfish. I have had beers such as Kiltlifter, Stella, etc in multiple states and they all are above 5.0%