Chilaquiles Recipe

mis2810

I promised dirtsurfer I'd post the recipe. This is how my MIL from Mexico City taught me. Each region of Mexico has their own way, but this is the way I like them best. I'm not fantastic at measurements, because I wasn't taught that way. Adjust the number of serrano chiles to how hot you like it, or how hungover you are! If you like green chilaquiles, let me know and I'll give you the salsa recipe for that one - it's a bit different.

For dinner tonight I made Rajas con Queso y Elote (roasted Poblano Chile strips with crumbled queso fresco, sauteed onions, and whole kernels of sweet corn) in case you're interested in that recipe. It's a fantastic meatless meal.

Chilaquiles Rojos
For the salsa:

Ten Roma tomatoes
3-5 Serrano Chiles
½ medium onion
2 large cloves of garlic
Salt to taste

Toppings:

Queso Fresco (crumbled using a fork)
Crema Mexicana (a bit thinner than sour cream and not sour)*
Finely chopped onion
Finely chopped cilantro
Shredded Chicken
Fried Egg

Blend the ingredients for the salsa in a blender.

Heat 3 tablespoons of oil (olive oil, canola, whatever) in a deep pan – I use a spaghetti pot so the salsa doesn’t splatter all over the stove. Once the oil is hot, pour the salsa in and lower the heat. Simmer and stir until the salsa turns to a normal darker red color.

Once the salsa is “cooked”, throw in some thick chips. I like the kind you get at Super Ley wherethey make the fresh tortillas. Regula rtortilla chips are too thin, and will wind up mushy really fast. In Phoenix, I buy them at Ranch Market and they’re called “Michael’s Chips”, and they’re sold near the freshly made tortillas also. The other alternative is to cut up some tortillas into triangles and fry them, which I’m too lazy to do and it takes too long! I suppose you could bake them instead, but it just wouldn’t be the same.

Stir until all the chips are coated well, and they are just starting to get a bit soft, but not soggy. Serve onto individual plates, and top with any and/or all of the above toppings.

*Crema Mexicana – I buy the Fud brand, or the El Mexicano brand here in Phoenix at Ranch Market in plastic bottles in the refrigerated dairy section. In PP, I buy the Lala brand that’s in small little blue cartons – they aren’t in the refrigerated section. You can use sour cream, I just like the real Mexican cream better. Other names for it are crema casera or “table cream”.

You are making me hungry. I cant wait to get back to PP.
As I was reading your post, even before I got to the part about Ranch Market, I was saying to myself: " you can get the thick corn chips at Ranch Market, called Michaels Chips. Great minds think alike. :)
I will be trying out your recipe soon.

Once the salsa is “cooked”, throw in some thick chips. I like the kind you get at Super Ley wherethey make the fresh tortillas. Regula rtortilla chips are too thin, and will wind up mushy really fast. In Phoenix, I buy them at Ranch Market and they’re called “Michael’s Chips”, and they’re sold near the freshly made tortillas also. The other alternative is to cut up some tortillas into triangles and fry them, which I’m too lazy to do and it takes too long! I suppose you could bake them instead, but it just wouldn’t be the same.

Stir until all the chips are coated well, and they are just starting to get a bit soft, but not soggy. Serve onto individual plates, and top with any and/or all of the above toppings.

*Crema Mexicana – I buy the Fud brand, or the El Mexicano brand here in Phoenix at Ranch Market in plastic bottles in the refrigerated dairy section. In PP, I buy the Lala brand that’s in small little blue cartons – they aren’t in the refrigerated section. You can use sour cream, I just like the real Mexican cream better. Other names for it are crema casera or “table cream”.

mis2810

Depended on if she had fresh chicken broth (fat skimmed off the top) on hand or not. If she did, she'd whip up the broth with a small tomato, some onion and garlic in the blender. "Toast" the rice in the bottom of a pan in a couple tablespoons of oil and then add the broth mixture. Always 2:1 ratio - liquid to rice. She'd usually add peas, carrots, and maybe a bit of potato after the rice was done. If she didn't have fresh chicken broth around, I'd seen her use Knorr, the chicken bullion cubes with tomato. The other recipe that I LOVE of hers is Tinga de Pollo con Chipotle. Soooo good - sabor Chilango!

Stop !!!!! :grin:
That is the exact way I make my rice too. I add some cumin a little finely chopped Serrano. :chef:
I haven't ever tried the potato. Always Peas and Carrots.

http://themexchef.com/chicken-tinga-tinga-de-pollo/

depended on if she had fresh chicken broth (fat skimmed off the top) on hand or not. If she did, she'd whip up the broth with a small tomato, some onion and garlic in the blender. "toast" the rice in the bottom of a pan in a couple tablespoons of oil and then add the broth mixture. Always 2:1 ratio - liquid to rice. She'd usually add peas, carrots, and maybe a bit of potato after the rice was done. If she didn't have fresh chicken broth around, i'd seen her use knorr, the chicken bullion cubes with tomato. The other recipe that i love of hers is tinga de pollo con chipotle. Soooo good - sabor chilango!

Last edited:
I have eaten Chilaquiles at Xochits in Cholla Bay and they are great. I have tried to make them at home but can never get the glisten that they get on there red sauce. Any suggestions?

Rick
Cholla Bay