Cholla Bay Derby Round 2 May 13-15

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
What a joke. Ive said this the last couple of Spring/early summer months, has anyone seen consistent wind like this ever in the past?! I feel like every weekend the wind is 12+mph. This weekend doesn't even look fishable... SMH

Hopefully the wind and fish gods will soon bless RP with calm winds and good fishing conditions... Sooner rather than later...

I will hopefully be down the first weekend in June.. already booked room, just hope my wife doesn't have to do any summer classes..

What's the Derby like? I've never been

The wind plus the currents at La Pinta basically shut us down all Saturday but Sunday was a great day with just enough wind to shoo the gnats away

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
The wind plus the currents at La Pinta basically shut us down all Saturday but Sunday was a great day with just enough wind to shoo the gnats away

I don't even know if I want to come down this weekend now. The wind report hasn't changed much over the last few days and still calls for pretty heavy wind around the 20mph range... only good thing is it's out of the South.

Decisions, decisions...

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Joe, did you fish the tournament leigh

Leigh, I fished Saturday and Sunday and only managed one small Cochi on Saturday and 2 cabrilla worth nothing on Sunday. Windfinder.com was dead on as the wind was out of the S SE on both days 20mph. Makes it nearly impossible to fish any of the good spots off of the point because the wind and current make it like a washing machine out there. The drift was insane fast this weekend. I paddled out to a boat offshore near Tucson beach area of Cholla Bay to ask if they could give me something for cut bait. Starting talking to the guy, Kent, he's local in Cholla Bay for about 15 minutes... turned around to look and we had drifted about two miles offshore. I think I was actually closer to the Black Mountain side of the bay. Holly shit that was difficult getting back lol 40 minute paddle straight into the wind.

All in all it was good to get back down but the I knew the fishing was going to suck. Until next time, hopefully Memorial Weekend.

Side note: I got to meet forum member ENCANTO. Nice to have met you Encanto! Thanks for the assistance too! Also tried the new Cholla Bay Oyster House. I really like the feel and I think this place will be crazy busy in the fall when it reopens with liquor license. It's byob right now but the food is definitely very good.

Q BAN HIT ME IN THE DM BRUH!

ChollaBay4Life

Encanto

Joe,

Really nice to meet you; my girls loved your kayak set-up.

Enjoyed the Mexico conversation, beers on me next time we run into each other.

Take Care,

Max