Cholla Bay Kayak Fishing

mattlago

Hello everyone. I am going to ask an ignorant question and hope for mercy. I am a competent kayaker but I haven't fished much outside of the midwest.

I now have a place in Cholla Bay Area and will be strolling out in my kayak (dont worry its capable and I watch weather and tides) and would like to do some fishing. My question is, what am I hunting most of the time. I have done some research and seen the species but I am wondering what people here have seen and actually get? Im thinking I should have some luck by the drop off as the wildlife that is there brings tons of birds etc.

Appreciate any input, I know its a very broad question.

Idyllwild

Well Known Member
I’ve moved my Hobie Pro Angler 14 north for the summer, and I’ll be heading there soon, so you might not see me in the bay until the fall. I’ve got a little fishing gear, and fishing in the bay is part of the plan. Some days I see a lot of corvina, small halibut, and shovel nose guitar fish out there. Some days I see so many rays that I cringe when I see people out there barefoot. A lot of days I see nothing. I can get completely across the bay and back in a couple of hours, so I should be able to hit some of the structures on the other side.

Nicolai

Mexico Joe will come around and answer eventually. He's the Guru.

My experience, lots of Mackerels, Triggers, Rock Bass, Corvina, Flounder etc. You use the right technique and gear and you'll catch a huge variety.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Around Pinto Point going towards Pelican Point is good for kayak fishing. Mexico Joe did that from his old fishing jetski

mattlago

Thank you for your replies. After I posted this I saw a thread with Mexico Joe where he answered some of this. Im not great at searching in forums.

Sounds like its very diverse and I am excited to hear that.

I have a green perception pedal drive down here so that's what I will be on most of the time. If you see a fat guy in a green kayak com say hi and hopefully there will be some beer left! Thanks for your replies.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Thank you for your replies. After I posted this I saw a thread with Mexico Joe where he answered some of this. Im not great at searching in forums.

Sounds like its very diverse and I am excited to hear that.

I have a green perception pedal drive down here so that's what I will be on most of the time. If you see a fat guy in a green kayak com say hi and hopefully there will be some beer left! Thanks for your replies.
Perceptions are nice. I used to like the Pescador 12. That was wayyyyyyy back when.... kayaks were only $800 and you used your arms like a real man. Just kidding. I'd love a pedal kayak but they are the same price as the boat I bought last year. Kind of outrageous. I saw a Hobie seat recently on Amazon for $600. Just for a sit on top kayak seat. The seat ONLY. $600. And people pay that! Insane. LOL...

Anyway, what I would do if your able to is launch as close to Tucson beach as possible. I launch at JJ's but a paddle to Pinto Point and back is a stout workout. If I had an extra hand and was an able bodied individual I'd carry my kayak down the stairs over on Pinto Point and launch from there. Being mindful of the tides of course. The good fishing THIS TIME OF YEAR is going to be from Pelican Point to Pinto Point in the rocks. Winter time it's different and you can catch flounder all the way in the bay along any of the shoreline.

Now it's June so flounder/halibut are gone. See ya, they bounced for cooler water. June-October you're looking for Sierra Mackerel, Spanish Mackerel, Rock Bass, Trigger Fish, Corvina and over in the rocks juvenile Grouper, usually Cabrilla Sardinero (Leopard Grouper) but I have caught a Gulf Grouper as well trolling crank-baits off of Pelican Point on the south side.

If you're fishing the rocks it's best to troll lures or cast lures while drifting parallel to shore. Avid fisherman, cast retrieve, cast retrieve... repeat to you're beat to hell. Non avid and you're going out there to "try" and catch something while looking at the scenery, being in nature, drinking a beer whatever then I would go with a sabiki and a 2oz weight. Sabiki rigs will literally catch anything!

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
https://www.kayakpaddling.net/best-trolling-motor-for-kayak/. Be good for close in to Lobos and that rock spot 3/4 mile off Santo Tomas….
Said and done each one of those choices is easily a 1k upgrade to a current kayak. I think it's Old Town and Jackson that have the Spot Lock Minkota from the factory but again these kayaks are like $3500 NO TRAILER! LOL WTF?! I've looked for fun at options to add to the kayak. There's even jet drives now for kayaks... Either way, lipo battery, speed controller, propulsion unit, battery cables (copper) $1k. I think people need to man up and start reverting back to the old days of grabbing a 6 pack and learning how to work on an engine.

Kidding aside. I see the draw for sure. A place like Florida, Gulf of Mexico Texas, San Diego, LA, SF where you can catch YT right outside of La Jolla Beach. Puerto Lobos would be nice. Florida would be epic because of all the backwater mangrove fishing. No waves to contend with. Just floating and killing it! There's a time and place for kayak fishing in Penasco but it's slim pickens unless you're out there 100 days a year.

Old55

Well Known Member
Said and done each one of those choices is easily a 1k upgrade to a current kayak. I think it's Old Town and Jackson that have the Spot Lock Minkota from the factory but again these kayaks are like $3500 NO TRAILER! LOL WTF?! I've looked for fun at options to add to the kayak. There's even jet drives now for kayaks... Either way, lipo battery, speed controller, propulsion unit, battery cables (copper) $1k. I think people need to man up and start reverting back to the old days of grabbing a 6 pack and learning how to work on an engine.

Kidding aside. I see the draw for sure. A place like Florida, Gulf of Mexico Texas, San Diego, LA, SF where you can catch YT right outside of La Jolla Beach. Puerto Lobos would be nice. Florida would be epic because of all the backwater mangrove fishing. No waves to contend with. Just floating and killing it! There's a time and place for kayak fishing in Penasco but it's slim pickens unless you're out there 100 days a year.
Joe before I retired I spent two years in this SC river front community overseeing the remodel jobs on a couple houses ….great kayaking…that dock is cool but man do you have to have the tides times or it is a muck fest! [. https://www.eatstayplaybeaufort.com/habersham-installs-paddleboard-dock/

Don Juan

I've got a crappy old pompano. You mentioned the perception and pescador 12.

I put a trolling motor on it, running lights and a fish finder. I use it in AZ. I'm thinking I should sell it and get a Sit down Jetski for working the port or the sandy beach/cholla bay areas. Thoughts? I like the idea of a kayak to throw on my Jeep TJ and head out to remote parts and do some fishing. Maybe this kayak is too ill equipped to be a sea worth boat down here? If so, you recommend anything in particular? Do you use drift socks/sea anchors to keep from getting blown around?

mondone

Whitecaps

I put a trolling motor on it, running lights and a fish finder. I use it in AZ. I'm thinking I should sell it and get a Sit down Jetski for working the port or the sandy beach/cholla bay areas. Thoughts? I like the idea of a kayak to throw on my Jeep TJ and head out to remote parts and do some fishing. Maybe this kayak is too ill equipped to be a sea worth boat down here? If so, you recommend anything in particular? Do you use drift socks/sea anchors to keep from getting blown around?
Looks like my Pescador 12 to me.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life

That would definitely work for Rocky Point inshore. Cholla Bay etc. I've never used a drift sock but small kayak grappler anchor yes. The folding one.

farhanamuneer

Remember that information about specific locations and fishing conditions can change, so it's advisable to check for any updates or changes to regulations if you're planning a trip to Cholla Buy kayak for fishing. Local fishing forums, guides, or bait shops can also provide current and specific information based on the latest conditions.

surfcaster

Tom the Surfcaster
I found a lightly used peddle drive Riot Mako 12 for $1,000. Buddy found a similar deal. I have not launched in the Cortez yet, but it seems very stable on AZ lakes/motor boat wakes and moderate wind waves. We plan to take them to Libertad at some point.

Old55

Well Known Member
I found a lightly used peddle drive Riot Mako 12 for $1,000. Buddy found a similar deal. I have not launched in the Cortez yet, but it seems very stable on AZ lakes/motor boat wakes and moderate wind waves. We plan to take them to Libertad at some point.
Be fun at Lobos and that little rock pile 1/4 mile off shore at low tide off santo tomas