Cholla in the 50s

MIRAMAR

That was a really fun time capsule. There is a lot that has really improved, but the fishing looked a lot better back then.

Estero

Ralph Jr. the young guy in the car and who made the movie was lost at sea in the Sea of Cortez back in about 1990 off of Bahia De Los Angeles. Very adventurous and interesting family with a long storied history in Phoenix Real Estate. Park Central Mall. http://www.modernphoenix.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1341
I spent a Thanksgiving with Noel and her husband about 10 years ago at their ranch just outside of Camp Verde. Interesting article about their ranch http://cvbugle.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&SubSectionID=1&ArticleID=32376

Thank you so much. I owned the "Boar's Nest" which was on your right, on the water as you entered in to the Cholla community. I purchased the Boars Nest from Spotts Willis, owned it for about 12 years and eventually sold it back to Spotts. I am pretty sure Spots was coming to Cholla on fishing trips in the late 50's. Cholla Bay holds a special place in my heart.

Kenny

I made my first trip down to Cholla Bay from Phoenix in our 54 Pontiac station wagon back in 58 (I was 10) and if you remember how slow things moved down there at that time, there wasn't much change from this 56 movie. We stayed in one of Natcho's huts and I made his little store my firecracker connection. Wonderful and magic times indeed.
My mom and Dad along with my Uncle Teddy made their first trip down from Torrance Cali in 55 after hearing about it from the wild bunch at Hughes aircraft where my father worked. That first group from Hughes still has a footprint in Cholla Bay till this day.

I made my first trip down to Cholla Bay from Phoenix in our 54 Pontiac station wagon back in 58 (I was 10) and if you remember how slow things moved down there at that time, there wasn't much change from this 56 movie. We stayed in one of Natcho's huts and I made his little store my firecracker connection. Wonderful and magic times indeed.
My mom and Dad along with my Uncle Teddy made their first trip down from Torrance Cali in 55 after hearing about it from the wild bunch at Hughes aircraft where my father worked. That first group from Hughes still has a footprint in Cholla Bay till this day.
K: I paid rent to Nacho and Martha Quiroz for my spot in Cholla for years. I would loved to have seen and experienced Cholla back in those days.

One more story about people & Cholla Bay: my place was next door to Nonie McKibbon's who was one of the most adventurous, curious, live life large people I have ever met. Nonie would sail her little 12' sailboat [the Hurache] by her self across to San Felipe when she was 70 yrs old, was one of the first wind surfers at the same age, taught me to enjoy fish head soup and was an all around great person. Sadly, Nonie was lost at sea while sailing out of Cholla, as I was told, her boat was found washed up on Bird Island and then her body was found on shore somewhere a week later. The theory put forth is that a gust of wind knocked her and her partner overboard and the boat sailed away without them. If anybody knows this story and can clarify the facts it would be appreciated.
Before her death Nonie wrote and published this book:
http://www.amazon.com/California-Fishwatchers-Guide-Donald-Thomson/dp/B0012MFC9Y

Estero

One more story about people & Cholla Bay: my place was next door to Nonie McKibbon's who was one of the most adventurous, curious, live life large people I have ever met. Nonie would sail her little 12' sailboat [the Hurache] by her self across to San Felipe when she was 70 yrs old, was one of the first wind surfers at the same age, taught me to enjoy fish head soup and was an all around great person. Sadly, Nonie was lost at sea while sailing out of Cholla, as I was told, her boat was found washed up on Bird Island and then her body was found on shore somewhere a week later. The theory put forth is that a gust of wind knocked her and her partner overboard and the boat sailed away without them. If anybody knows this story and can clarify the facts it would be appreciated.
Before her death Nonie wrote and published this book:
http://www.amazon.com/California-Fishwatchers-Guide-Donald-Thomson/dp/B0012MFC9Y
Dr. Thomson was my best professor at U of A! Spent a month camping and studying the Sea of Cortez on the Baja side in one of his classes.