Ckear and Present Danger, at Puerto Penasco

don

Whoa,
Remember the Movie, "Clear and Present Danger" by Ton Clancy? :?:

Saturday night while heading out of Penasco on the Caborca Hwy, we came upon a situation which reminded me of the movie, like a cold slap with a wet towel. It was about 8:pM, still light enough to see, but headlights on and it was apparent the policia had pulled over a vehicle. There were skid marks on the highway and the police vehicles (3) had boxed the other vehicle in. There were other vehicles in the vicinity which my son said were camouflaged hummers. I was slowing down due to the congestion and it was apparent there were Americans dressed in camo fatigues speaking to the police officers. There was another camo fatigued individual directing traffic alongside the road. He also appeared to be mid 50ish stoutly built American soldier. As the car in front of me came to a stop, the soldier stooped and gave the driver directions in "Spanish" and when I pulled up he said in a perfect South Texas drawl, "Howdy Sir!", and waved me on through... :shock: Slap with a wet towel as I remembered the movie and book.

JimMcG

Hi, Don. This story deserves a little more clarification if you would.

Apart from a US accent were there any other indications that these were US soldiers such as markings on vehicles, uniform patches etc. Some Mexicans have lived and were educated in the US and sound like Americans but are not.

:usa: :mexico: I have on occasion however encountered similar situations in other parts of Mexico.

Thanks

don

Hi Jim!
I can't say for sure on the shoulder patch, uniform was just a bit wrinkled. It did appear as if he had the typical black/green shoulder patch and a black lettering over a breast pocket. The thing that really shocked me was his light skin tone, GI short haircut, (light colored hair, graying hair), and typical stocky build of a career soldier. You may wonder how I noticed his hair, and when he approached the vehicle in front of me, he came into the headlights. When I pulled up, he had stepped back from the roadway. I was still in awe, looked directly into his eyes, when he said simply "Howdy Sir". I was utterly dumbfounded. I replied to him, and he simply nodded back.

I've never seen anything like it in the past (30 + years). I've seen hundreds of Mexican soldiers and Federales, but this was a total shocker. Wish I could give you more info... Sorry. The vehicles that were on the RH side of the road, other than the two police vehicles were just over a small dune, and one could not see the entire vehicle. Likewise since I was towing a heavy boat, I was concentrating on the traffic.
My son was also convinced he was an American. Oh well...