Close spots?

S

smirkthis.

Im heading down to Cholla Bay over thanksgiving and wanted to know if there are some spots right around there to catch some fish... I dont want to take my boat out too far, but I want to catch something...

cholla

Right off of Pelican point there is some fishing. I guess it depends what kind of fish and what kind of boat you are looking at.
Nice eating cabrilla and trigger (or bait fish, for the big boys) can be caught close to shore.

John

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
I caught a nice-sized pinto bass on a Sabiki rig while making bait no more than 1/2 mile out of Cholla Bay. Took me by surprise! So, you don't have to go very far if you just want to catch some fish. You can catch lots of triggers and sand bass over the rocky spots just outside the bay. They're not going to be big, but there's plenty of them there.

Those Cabrilla, rock bass, and the trigers are great eating and fun to catch. After you catch one rock bass cut him up and use for bait. A # 1 circle hook works best and use light tackle like you would for bass.
Filet out and skinn, pan fry , deep fry or cook on the barbie. A couple of weeks back a group of us went out and caught a bunch. When we came in one of the guys had a deep fryer so they were batered and deep fried. He also did fresh french fries and yum yum yum. Some of the best I have ever eaten.

Enjoy Rocky point and I believe the fish will not be the only things caught.

Remember no guns or amo in mexico. Not even a shell casing! They do drive a little crazy down there so be aware. Watch for the trafic bumps in the road in Sonita and Rockey Point. 65 on the way down seems OK. In town follow the signs 45 and the 20 KPH. Don't worry about the Federales with guns, that is just a way of life down there. You are in their country so follow their rules and you will have a great time .
Give us a report of your experience.