Coastal Highway Current Status 6/11

Somewhere in a post to this forum I saw mention of someone posting a map and/or road log for the new coastal highway from PP down to Libertad. Would also be nice to see some photos. Looks like this road would make it much easier to visit friends in both PP and Kino on the same trip! Thanks y'all.

Kemo Sabe

There was a link I posted a while back for the road log the other way, going north of Penasco toward the Golfo de Santa Clara junction, but I don't remember seeing any for going the other way south. Would love to see it--we considered taking the long route to Penasco through Nogales and then Caborca this weekend but decided against it. Was leaving from Sonoita, AZ (not the Sonoyta border town) and decided it'd be better to just head back up to Tucson and use our normal route.

jerry

We took a trip to Puerto Libertad yesterday (35 miles South of Lobos and spent some time looking around.The good the bad and the ugly of it all sort of work nicely.The power plant belches out smoke or steam but the wind carries it to the north.The long pipeline out into the bay looks like a LP/Natural Gas pipeline (for the plant I guess) The town is great...well maintained homes,lush yards,colorful with many operating businesses(industry does raise all boats in some ways).I counted 5 motels/hotels/6 restaurants(a huge Chinese looking place on the beach),a new pemex (with a old Seri Crone selling Ironwood animals for a good price),Tel Cel store..a garbage truck...the plant life is pretty interesting if you collect things like that and the roads that head inland and toward the sea beg to be snopped into.....I have some great pictures but will wait till I get back to post (I don't want to go over on my new Telcel modem...)

jerry

oh.. the new road construction seems to end there but I hear the new road is continuing from the south and you can drive to kino now...Hotel Libertad is in the middle of town and has nice rooms..Rickys restaurant is good too.

jerry

well on the way out of Santo Tomas (daylight this time!) i see the bit of the highway that isn't finished by the big curve (6 miles east of Ejido Alvaro Obregon) is now paved but still needs trop coat....The overpass looks ok...the word was it was built wrong but looks fine....
Tucson...Sasabee...Caborca may be getting tne 3 hour link to the highway from the new Sonora Govenor:
"During a Nov. 18 meeting with reporters and editors at The Arizona Republic, Guillermo Padrés Elías, the governor of Sonora, said he doesn't know why previous governments did not follow through on promises to pave the roads to El Sasabe.

But he said that, with federal funds, the state is in the process of paving one road that leads to El Sasabe from Saric to the east. In 2012, the state also plans to begin building a 60-mile toll road leading to El Sasabe from Altar to the south. The projects mean that for the first time paved highways would lead to the port in Sasabe.

"We already have the design for the project," Padrés Elías said. "Hopefully (in) one to two years we are going to finish it."

My friend is a Pima County Supervisor and I talked with him about this....he is going to push them...it will be awesome for us Southerners!

Estero

I found an old email which references the drive to Kino and Hermosillo/San Carlos via the new road.

A new section of Coastal Highway now makes driving South from Puerto Peñasco more direct and more scenic, with much less traffic, and it bypasses a couple of toll booths, as well as the Aduana stop at Pitiquitos. It is accessed by taking the highway South past Mayan Palace toward the little town of Y Griega. However, prior to getting that far, at one of the speed bumps, there’s a place on the left with a beautiful flower garden, where they sell oranges, grapefruit, olives, etc. On the right is a paved turnoff toward Santo Tomas. Take that turn, then again turn right, where it tees into another paved road. You will then tee into the new section of Coastal Highway, turning left and heading South past Desemboque, Puerto de Lobos, and finally arriving in Puerto Libertad. That section of the drive takes approximately two hours. From there, an older highway (with some potholes, but not too bad) ultimately tees into the highway that connects Hermosillo with Bahia Kino. There’s an earlier left turn with a sign pointing toward Hermosillo, but don’t take that ... wait until you get to the stop sign where it shows Kino to the right and Hermosillo to the left. That section of the drive from Libertad will take approximately an hour (If you want to visit Kino, it’s less than 30 minutes from there, making the trip from Peñasco to Kino around three and a half hours).

Heading toward Hermosillo, you will then pass through a town called Miguel Aleman, where there are gas stations, if you’re running low, and shortly after, there is a relatively sharp bend to the left, with a large dispensary on the right hand corner. Make a right turn there ... you’ll know you got it right, when you see a sign shortly after that says “Guaymas”. This road is not in as good condition as the section from Libertad to the Hermosillo-Kino connection, but isn’t much worse than the section between Peñasco & Y Griega, and it will bypass Hermosillo, where there is a considerable amount of road renovation going on.

Finally, the road from Miguel Aleman, bypassing Hermosillo, will intersect with Highway 15, about 30 miles North of San Carlos. If you’re moving along at a good pace, and don’t make more than one short stop to refuel, the whole trip can be done in as little as five hours. But, even if you take your time, and stop for a snack, it’s still a much more interesting way to go, and won’t take any longer than if you took the old route, passing through Caborca, Altar, Santa Ana & Hermosillo.

Penasco - San Carlos Map.jpg

tortuga

Drove to Kino and San Carlos and back last week. The road south of Libertad is much worse than the hwy going south from Penasco. The farm roads from Kino to San Carlos were horrible, came back through Hermosillo.

MIRAMAR

We also just took the Coastal Highway south to Alamos and El Fuerte, and the road from east of Kino to north of Guaymas was terrible. I said it was like playing a video game trying to dodge the pot holes. Puerto Lobos was only an hour and a half from our house, so we definitely planning a trip there soon. Also had awesome shrimp cocktails at the road side stand about 14 miles east of the Mayan entrance. They were a little cheaper than town, but had so many more shrimp and vegetables, it was worth it