Coconut palms on RP beaches?

dirtsurfer

Well Known Member
Forum Supporter
I am currently in Tulum. The beaches here are covered with coconut palm trees. I want to plant some on my beach and was wondering if anybody has tried it? If I supplied water in the summer would the trees stand a chance?

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
I had some planted at my house a few years ago, they took a sprouted coconut, dug a hole, dumped course rock salt in the hole, they grew for about a year until we came down one weekend and they had withered, probably for lack of water, but on a beach they might grow. I ssked about the salt and the guy said tbe tree needed it, because they are always grown around salt water and we were inland..

courtesy of carnac

brokenwave

Well Known Member
My neighbor in Cholla on the water has had a hard time keeping palms
a few different varieties alive.
Said they were watered in the summer, but who knows since he wasn't there. Don't think he ever had coconut palms.

Southbeacher

Well Known Member
We have Mexican fan palms on the beach. They are on a drip system & watered daily. Doing good.
I think the regular watering is the ticket. Neighbors planted palms that died. They replanted, and had a maintenance worker stop by regularly to water them (at least to get established), and they've been doing fine for years.

Landshark

Well Known Member
We water daily because the sand drains very quickly. It's not like planting in dirt where the dirt will hold the water & stay moist for days. Sand dries out quickly so water more often but with less water. At least that's what we've come up with.

JoseAz

Well Known Member
I love palm trees. I wish I could find the folks in Rocky Point who are responsible for trimming the ones on the public streets. They trim them too tight and put the trees into stress.
Everyone likes to trim them to the top 3 or 4 fronds so they can trim less frequently. That doesn't leave enough fronds to perform the photosynthesis needed to feed the tree and protect the most sensitive parts from the elements.
Many recommend trimming one time per year, cutting only the dead fronds. I target June so the seed fronds have spouted. I admit I trim to "10 and 2" on the clock. With a full top, a couple dead fronds below the crown don't bother me, look natural....
My palms look great all year long and by the following year....ready for another trim....

mondone

Whitecaps
Per John at Integrity Tree Service-
Trim Mexican fan palms after June 15th to be sure to get all the seed pods in one trimming. You can also trim Queen palms anytime after June 1st but expect some seed pods to continue to emerge through the fall.
Trim California fan palms after July 15th to insure getting all the seed pods in one trimming. If you don't want to put up with all the yellow pollen until July, you can prune the trees earlier, but you'll need to trim the trees again later in the year to get the rest of the seed pods.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
When I had Mexican Fan palm trees, I would always wait until July 1st to make sure the trees bloomed.
One year I was talked into trimming before July 1st, not realizing they hadn't grown the pod branch and I had seeds and pollen in my pool for 3-4 weeks.:mad:

mondone

Whitecaps
When I had Mexican Fan palm trees, I would always wait until July 1st to make sure the trees bloomed.
One year I was talked into trimming before July 1st, not realizing they hadn't grown the pod branch and I had seeds and pollen in my pool for 3-4 weeks.:mad:
Been there myself, that's why I told my HOA to back off because I'm not going to pay a guy to trim my tree twice in a season

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

dirtsurfer

Well Known Member
Forum Supporter
Thank you all for your valuable input. Have any of you had success with other trees or plants on our beaches in PP?