Cold Water ?

Roberto

Well Known Member
Most Mexican's avoid ice with drinking water or refrigerated water. It's really a healthier choice when it's hot. Why? When losing a lot of water to perspiration you need to drink enough to replace what you lose. Research shows that people drinking cold water drank less water than people drinking moderately cool water. When drinking cold water, people tended to sip a bit and feel refreshed, mostly due to the temperature of the water. When you need to replenish, moderately cool water is better because you will tend to drink more of it. Cold water is perhaps more refreshing to your mouth but less healthy for you body when consumed a bit at a time.

Personally when it is a hot as it is here now I do better using Electrolit than plain water. Also I have to take care to deliberately drink enough, if I don't by the end of the day my A** is dragging. No, beer does not count !! Good and tasty and relaxing but not a good rehydrant beause of the alcohol.

Roberto

Well Known Member
Perfect chice for dinner, served a moderately cool temps of course! Yummy, but I still prefer a nice Chianti.

aprilsuzanne55

BeachGirl
Most Mexican's avoid ice with drinking water or refrigerated water.
I've never had a beach vendor turn down an ice cold bottle of water or Gatorade. :desert::coldone:
Although sometimes they slam it back, and sometimes they take it with them.
Do you think when they are taking it with them it is so it warms up?
I would feel rude giving them room temperature beverages on the hot sweaty beach.
What do you think?

Southbeacher

Well Known Member
April, I'd serve up the cold bottle on a hot beach. As Roberto pointed out, the lots-of-temperate-water application is good for longer term maintenance on a hot day. The cold-bottle-on-the-beach application is more about a quick, refreshing cool-down. Also, Roberto mentioned "electrolit." Not sure if that is a brand, but electrolite pills (in a number of brands) are great to take throughout the day with water. (The pills are more concentrated, usually have a better balance of electrolites, and don't have the sugar and chemicals of electrolite drinks.)

Roberto

Well Known Member
I've never had a beach vendor turn down an ice cold bottle of water or Gatorade. :desert::coldone:
Although sometimes they slam it back, and sometimes they take it with them.
Do you think when they are taking it with them it is so it warms up?
I would feel rude giving them room temperature beverages on the hot sweaty beach.
What do you think?
Well no big deal. I'm sure they are grateful that you think of them. I'd stick with the cold, as you said they can warm it up. Also as Southbeacher related, it's cool and refreshing. I was referring more to rehydrating. I suspect the Mexican habit of no ice or cold water reflects more the way they grew up, poor to no refrigeration than any health concerns.

mis2810

Well Known Member
Well no big deal. I'm sure they are grateful that you think of them. I'd stick with the cold, as you said they can warm it up. Also as Southbeacher related, it's cool and refreshing. I was referring more to rehydrating. I suspect the Mexican habit of no ice or cold water reflects more the way they grew up, poor to no refrigeration than any health concerns.
I'd always heard they drink room temperature drinks because drinking something ice cold would make them sick - like a sore throat or a cold. Probably just an old wives tale.

jerry

Well Known Member
Do Sports Drinks Really Work? | Mother Jones
over hydration is a worse danger for the deck chair gang...

Just in time for the Summer Olympics in London, a top science journal has issued a blistering indictment of the sports drink industry. According to the series of reports from BMJ (formerly British Medical Journal), the makers of drinks like Gatorade and Powerade have spent millions in research and marketing in recent decades to persuade sports and medical professionals, not to mention the rest of us suckers, that a primal instinct—the sensation of thirst—is an unreliable guide for deciding when to drink. We've also been battered with the notion that boring old water is just not good enough for preventing dehydration.

I've been as susceptible to this scam as anyone else; I knew, or thought I knew, that if I'm thirsty after my half-hour go-round on the elliptical trainer, it means I was underhydrated to begin with. So for years I've been trying to remember to ignore my lack of thirst and make myself drink before working out. Not any more.

aprilsuzanne55

BeachGirl
Yep, I totally get your point. I'll keep giving out ice cold water. The vendors always look so overheated.

El Gato

Well Known Member
When I was a kid growing up in Phoenix our family doctor recommended room temperature water - that it was much better for you and that ice cold water on a hot day could give kids a stomach ache. Of course we had to let the water run a bit or one could almost burn their mouth. No a/c and/or coolers to cool the water down :) He was also totally against kids drinking soda pop and fanatically believed in eating lots of fruits and veggies. We didn't have many, if any, fat kids in those days - of course no computers and we were outside playing all the time.

Roberto

Well Known Member
I'd always heard they drink room temperature drinks because drinking something ice cold would make them sick - like a sore throat or a cold. Probably just an old wives tale.
Yes, I have heard that also, particularly applied to kids. No ice and no cold water.

GV Jack

Snorin God
Don't know about you Playa, but every time I get/got in trouble or the dog house, there was no cold water.

I am/was always in HOT WATER.......

Southbeacher

Well Known Member
Add me to the totally-agree-with-Jerry group. Those drinks are scams. But -- as I mentioned earlier -- for really heavy-duty work, such as, say, a 60-mile bike ride at 110 degrees, water alone can't keep up with the loss. For that kind of activity, a few electrolite pills can avoid problems. (They're OTC at health-food stores, pharmacies, Whole Foods . . . )

Roberto

Well Known Member
Also you will see lots of scaves covering the neck and mouth sometimes.

GUESS WHAT !! It's NOT a Mexican Old wives tale !! Some recent research indicates that cooling the airways, nose mouth and throat results in a reduction of the effectiveness of the bodies antibodies which work more effectively in a warm environment. This cooling allows the viruses to enter the body through the mucous membranes less molested by antibodies. Avoid cold drinks and breathing cold air during the flue and cold season at least. So here we have some folk wisdom that turns out to have some truth. I'm wrapping my neck, drinking hot tea and breathing through a scarf when I go out. :):)

GV Jack

Snorin God
Also you will see lots of scaves covering the neck and mouth sometimes.

GUESS WHAT !! It's NOT a Mexican Old wives tale !! Some recent research indicates that cooling the airways, nose mouth and throat results in a reduction of the effectiveness of the bodies antibodies which work more effectively in a warm environment. This cooling allows the viruses to enter the body through the mucous membranes less molested by antibodies. Avoid cold drinks and breathing cold air during the flue and cold season at least. So here we have some folk wisdom that turns out to have some truth. I'm wrapping my neck, drinking hot tea and breathing through a scarf when I go out. :):)
Warm up the Chianti and you will sleep better, too.

Hillbeartoe

Well Known Member
Lets not exclude Tea in this mix. You get the added benefit of antioxidants. Once you can make great tea you can enjoy it at any temperature.

Yes, too much caffeine can act as a De-hydrant however you still will have a net hydrating intake. And caffeine free options are available.

These are my thoughts and opinions on this so we are not confused thinking I have sighted some random story or are talking out of my ass. (JWT)

Though most people prefer to drink tea cold and sweet which can add empty calories, taking an interest in making tea properly can change those factors in a short period of time.

Like developing a taste for wine we all start cold and sweet. Once you taste a good wine served at the right time and temperature it opens a whole new world of taste, and catches a different buzzard too.. ;) (I prefer Reds, Merlot , Pinot and have had some great Greek blends.)

When making tea people tend to over steep their tea leaves or bags. This causes that dry mouth feeling that most experience when drinking homemade tea. Most also will bring the water to a boil, this causes the same effect as over steeping as well as over cooking anything and making it bitter.

Once you get the hang of making tea at home and truly taste what is interesting about the different varieties you will never look back and you will appreciate Tea uncolored by sweeteners or creams.

Tips for making Tea by the gallon.

1 gallon container, recycling juice jugs is recommended for the fact that they can handle heat and you are of course re-using it.

Good WATER makes all the difference. Where I live the water is hard and chlorinated. We get water from a local store with an RO system. Use 2-4 cups of water depending on the size of the pot you use, what you need is enough depth to make sure the bags can be submerged completely.

If you are using Family size Tea bags use 4 for full flavor, individual size bags you will need to use 15! Yes, 15.

Bring water to 180-200 degrees, this varies as you start to use loose leaf teas. Remove pot from heat and submerge tea bags.

The magic number is 4 minutes. Set a timer for 4 minutes. Once the timer goes off remove and squeeze the tea bags to get all the goodness out. Salad tongs work perfect. Immediately pour into your container.
Now would also be a good time to add sugar if you are going to sweeten your tea as the sugar will dissolve properly. To keep the daughter happy 1/2 cup of raw sugar is perfect.
Most directions aren't far off. I have found most say to steep between 3-5 minutes. If you follow the directions I am providing you will be pouring the concentrate into the container at the 4.5 minute mark.

Now, slowly pour in cool water to fill the gallon. This is another trick, the cooler the water the slower you will add it to the concentrate. If you add cold water to fast it will make the tea cloudy! Sound familiar?

Shake and refrigerate.

Filling a smaller bottle to take with you while running around will obviously loose temp, but the tea will still taste great and meet the criteria of hydrating with a drink that is not to cold.

Most people don't know that Teas can store (if stored properly) for years. After opening a box of tea bags place into a ziplock bag or air tight container and they can sit for up to 3 years. Properly stored Tea leaves can easily double that number.

I always enjoyed tea, some better than others but it wasn't until I watched a documentary Called "All in This Tea". In short this guy that sells tea goes running around china and talks not just about the history of tea but the proper ways of making it and the ritual of it as well. With what I see people post here, I am willing to bet you will all find this interesting, try to watch it if you can,

http://www.allinthistea.com/

Using some of the tips from this I have been able to make great tea ever since and have never looked back. Black Tea FTW.