Considering cancelling my future plans to visit.

IggyAZ

I have plans to drive to Rocky Point soon using Lukeville Border crossing.
I'm having second thoughts now even after visiting each year for 12 years.

Old55

I would still come but of course the regular cautions.Day light travel , realize the cops suck and drive accordingly , cross and return on non peak days ….and shuffle!

I would still come but of course the regular cautions.Day light travel , realize the cops suck and drive accordingly , cross and return on non peak days ….and shuffle!
Why?

I'm here now, with droves of others that made the trip this weekend. You do you

richwi

We live in Penasco and traveled up to Az Saturday and home here on Sunday. We didn’t see anything at all unusual. We were particularly mindful in Sonoyta but again, nothing seemed at all different than any other trip. At the border there were no obvious migrants and when I asked the border patrol agent when we crossed in Az he said that since the border reopened things seemed to be back they way they were before the surge

IggyAZ

Appreciate everyone's input.
Anything different from years past, going South at Lukeville crossing?
Thanks all and will keep watching.

From time to time over past decades, cartel competition in the area has occasionally bubbled up. Then one side wins and (relative) peace is restored to the land until whatever new chink in the armor creates a new conflict.

MIRAMAR

We just drove down this morning. Very quiet, beach is beautiful, and trip was uneventful (except for potholes after the fork in the Caborca Highway)

MIRAMAR

Update: town was dead, Blue Marlin open and excellent seafood. There were 4 of us and another couple. Flavios was closed.

IggyAZ

We went to Pane e. Vino tonight for their weekly pizza special and they were so full people were having to park way down along the road. Maybe things are starting to get back to normal?
Didn't know they had a special pizza night. Wednesday?
Thanks

IggyAZ

I'm hearing stories about Cartels fighting in Sonoyta from FOX News Phoenix.
Any recent info?

Last edited:

MIRAMAR

I did see this:
"At least 12 dead in suspected attempt to rescue son of Mexican cartel hitman
Reuters
Sun, January 21, 2024 at 5:00 PM MST·1 min read

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - At least 12 suspected criminals were killed on a highway near Hermosillo in the northern Mexican state of Sonora, a state official said Sunday, in what authorities called a foiled attempt to rescue the son of a cartel hitman.
Another seven escaped and some are probably wounded, the Sonora's state attorney's office said in a statement. A spokesperson confirmed to Reuters that 12 had been killed.
Two security officials were hospitalized after the crossfire but are now in stable condition, the statement added.

The office said it suspected the group, armed with assault weapons, was attempting to rescue the son of Jesus Humberto Limon, a suspected hitman working for a faction of the Sinaloa Cartel led by the sons of Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman.
The suspected hitman's son, Carlos Humberto, had been detained minutes before for "crimes against health" in Camino del Seri, it said, without giving further details.
The attorney's office said government agents had been targeted on Saturday afternoon on a highway connecting state capital Hermosillo with Bahia de Kino on the Pacific coast, but security forces managed to repel the attack.
Security forces recovered 21 assault weapons including AR-15s and AK-47s, chargers, bulletproof vests, camouflage kit, six modern vans and a "considerable" quantity of ammunition.
This comes as the Mexican government prepares for a long-delayed court hearing on Feb. 22 over an appeal seeking to hold gunmakers responsible in a U.S. court for arms trafficked to criminal organizations across the border.
(Reporting by Raul Cortes and Sarah Morland; Editing by Lisa Shumaker)"

Old55

I did see this:
"At least 12 dead in suspected attempt to rescue son of Mexican cartel hitman
Reuters
Sun, January 21, 2024 at 5:00 PM MST·1 min read

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - At least 12 suspected criminals were killed on a highway near Hermosillo in the northern Mexican state of Sonora, a state official said Sunday, in what authorities called a foiled attempt to rescue the son of a cartel hitman.
Another seven escaped and some are probably wounded, the Sonora's state attorney's office said in a statement. A spokesperson confirmed to Reuters that 12 had been killed.
Two security officials were hospitalized after the crossfire but are now in stable condition, the statement added.

The office said it suspected the group, armed with assault weapons, was attempting to rescue the son of Jesus Humberto Limon, a suspected hitman working for a faction of the Sinaloa Cartel led by the sons of Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman.
The suspected hitman's son, Carlos Humberto, had been detained minutes before for "crimes against health" in Camino del Seri, it said, without giving further details.
The attorney's office said government agents had been targeted on Saturday afternoon on a highway connecting state capital Hermosillo with Bahia de Kino on the Pacific coast, but security forces managed to repel the attack.
Security forces recovered 21 assault weapons including AR-15s and AK-47s, chargers, bulletproof vests, camouflage kit, six modern vans and a "considerable" quantity of ammunition.
This comes as the Mexican government prepares for a long-delayed court hearing on Feb. 22 over an appeal seeking to hold gunmakers responsible in a U.S. court for arms trafficked to criminal organizations across the border.
(Reporting by Raul Cortes and Sarah Morland; Editing by Lisa Shumaker)"