Considering Total Hip Replacement????

If you are considering total hip replacement.....but are concerned about the surgery and recovery.....just "Do It"!

Find a good orthopedic surgeon doing the.....
Anterior Supine Muscle-Sparing Hip Replacement....link---> Muscle Sparing Hip Replacement ......one with experience with this technique, since it is harder to do!

There is no muscle cutting (the good old butt muscles). The surgery is done from the front, with the muscles separated. I had the surgery in the morning (took about 1.5 hours), with spinal anesthesia, was walking with the aid of a walker right after getting out of the recovery room (the spinal hadn't worn off completely). Spent one night in the hospital (normal stay is 1-3 days).

Had physical therapy at home (still have a couple of seesions scheduled next week), and had to do exercises (torture) 3x a day. Progressed from using a walker to using a cane after about 1 1/2 weeks of therapy. There is a risk of blowing out a leg muscle without the walker or cane. There is almost no risk of dislocation of the new joint, since none of the muscles retaining the joint have been cut. I'm able to get around after about 2 weeks without the cane, but still use it as my leg muscles strengthen and the muscle pain decreases. I can start driving as soon as I'm off the pain meds, and can go back to work after Labor Day (about 4 weeks after the surgery)...with no restrictions.

Pain was minimal from the actual surgery, the internal stitches will be absorbed, with some type of "crazy glue"/and tape holding the outer
incision
(stitches were internal, with about a 5-6 inch incision running vertically) . You will get pain meds for the muscle pain that you will experience. The surgery is done on a special table with your feet locked in, wearing boots like ski boots. The leg is stretched and contorted to get at the hip, so that is where the trauma will be (muscles around the knee and upper leg/groin/butt). You will have bruising along the entire leg because of blood thinners.
As with any surgery, there are risks....blood clots, heart attack/stroke, infection.......and the old standby, constipation. You'll be on blood thinners (aspirin), stool softener, and some pain meds (the amount depends on your pain tolerance to the therapy).

But, if you've been holding off getting it done.....check out the procedure the way I had it done....I regret not having it done earlier!!!

It's sad that there are still so many orthopedists doing it the old way (from the rear, cutting the muscles).....with the months of recovery and risk of hip dislocation.

percoset----->>> oxycodone plus acetaminophen....not super strong, but enough to take the "edge" off the muscle pain and it lets you sleep at night.....throughout the rehab, I couldn't identify any of the pain I had directly to the new hip joint (my cartilage was completely shot and the bone was being worn down before the surgery)!

The doctors make sure they're not liable when they release you to drive...they specifically state that you can drive when you are not on any pain meds...

joester

2 salty dawgs
glad to hear your surgery and recovery are going well - follow doctors orders and keep up with the rehab schedule.
see you in a few months.
teri and joe

jerry

Party at Joes medicine cabinet!!!!! seriously The Bloody Law: Hip Replacement Scams

percoset----->>> oxycodone plus acetaminophen....not super strong, but enough to take the "edge" off the muscle pain and it lets you sleep at night.....throughout the rehab, I couldn't identify any of the pain I had directly to the new hip joint (my cartilage was completely shot and the bone was being worn down before the surgery)!

The doctors make sure they're not liable when they release you to drive...they specifically state that you can drive when you are not on any pain meds...

Party at Joes medicine cabinet!!!!! seriously The Bloody Law: Hip Replacement Scams
Should anybody expect anything different from Jerry???? BTW, the article jumps all over the place.....and never really supports the title! What is the point of the article?

As with anything else...buyer beware applies.....do your research....make an informed decision! I was presented with the possibility of needing hip replacement over a year ago. Recall info on various manufacturer's designs is available out there. Never be the "first kid on the block" with a new design! I don't believe in a being a beta tester for anything (unless it's software, and the software manufacturer is paying me). Research your surgeon....

Will I outlive my new joint? Don't know.....life expectancy figures run anywhere from 10-30 years...depending on your activity level, weight, design of the components (materials), etc. However, with the modular design, and the technique used, it should not be any more "stressful" for replacement than the original surgery, actually less, since only 2 components should need replacing due to wear....

jerry

You're welcome Joe...thanks for the additional information....as in all things medical the option to lose weight,increase careful exercise, begining a program of physical therapy/massage and not being bullied into a operation so Dr. Punjab can get a new Summer Villa on the Italian Coast should be a consideration.

Should anybody expect anything different from Jerry???? BTW, the article jumps all over the place.....and never really supports the title! What is the point of the article?

As with anything else...buyer beware applies.....do your research....make an informed decision! I was presented with the possibility of needing hip replacement over a year ago. Recall info on various manufacturer's designs is available out there. Never be the "first kid on the block" with a new design! I don't believe in a being a beta tester for anything (unless it's software, and the software manufacturer is paying me). Research your surgeon....

Will I outlive my new joint? Don't know.....life expectancy figures run anywhere from 10-30 years...depending on your activity level, weight, design of the components (materials), etc. However, with the modular design, and the technique used, it should not be any more "stressful" for replacement than the original surgery, actually less, since only 2 components should need replacing due to wear....

You're welcome Joe...thanks for the additional information....as in all things medical the option to lose weight,increase careful exercise, begining a program of physical therapy/massage and not being bullied into a operation so Dr. Punjab can get a new Summer Villa on the Italian Coast should be a consideration.
:rofl::rofl:....that's my initital response to your "suggestions"! I'm sure everyone goes running to their orthopedic surgeon demanding surgery the instant the pain from osteoarthritis hits!

I think I mentioned that I pondered the surgery for over a year.....trying a variety of things.....physical therapy (from a center that specializes in arthritis treatment)---->>> which caused several days of excrutiating pain after each therapy session......exercise---->>you are in a vicious circle, with the exercise causing more pain, which has a negative effect on your desire to do any more, and in most cases, more inflamation and deterioraton of the joint........weight loss---->>the meds that are prescribed initially to control the inflammation (and pain) have as one of many of their side affects being weight gain (even with a 1000-1200 calorie diet).....massage (including with heat application)----->>>>gave VERY short term minimal relief (at $100-150 per session).....

PLUS several other things that you didn't mention!!!

Once the joint starts to deteriorate, it's just a matter of time (and each case is different) before surgery is the only viable solution......unless you want to sit in a wheelchair the rest of your life.

Bullied???? I very much doubt that reputable surgeons will do any bullying! I saw 2 different orthopedists.....neither of them "pushed" for the surgery...both indicated that I would know when I needed it...when my "quality of life" (that wonderful term) had decreased to the point where I couldn't do much of anything without severe pain...the simplest things, such as where it was taking me 5 minutes to get on my sock and tie my shoe laces in the morning.....

Jack...not yet...still working. My medical insurance (BC/BS) is covering the surgery...the bills are just starting to trickle in....variety of co-pays/deductibles....once I get everything totaled for my portion, I may post! Medicare should cover it....but I have no idea how much you would have to pay "out of pocket".