Couple of questions on Surf and Kayak Fishing by the Mayan

YouNameIt

Down in RP on Oct 10th for a few days staying close to the Mayan fishing from shore and the estuary.

It looks like the Corvina and sea trout we were catching off lures in June will be replace by Flounder, Grouper, Sierra and Skipjack.

Besides flounder which of these are catchable from shore? Anything else?

Besides fly fishing what other setups would I look at for Flounder and the rest?

I have a couple of fishing Kayaks and it looks like I'll need a boat licence for off the beach. Do those rules apply for kayak fishing the estuary?

Any tips are appreciated.

jerry

Guys are still catching Covina 30 miles south.I would not wory about the boat licence....on sand flats like that area and my place I find you do better from shore than from kayak.Castmasters or shrimp will work....Early to mid October is favorite time of the year...have a blast

mermaid

Covina usually make a good run in October. As for flounder they usually hit the shoreline when the weather cools more, Late November to February are usually the best months for flounder from the shore. I have found the best lure for flounder is a 3" white grub on a 3/4 oz jig head dragged across a sandy bottom between rocks.
Good luck

I'll be down at the same time, just up the beach on Encanto.
I've caught plenty of Corvina down there just past outside the wave break in my kayak. Troll rapala or similar. I seem to do best around sunset or when the tide is running.
Caught one Grouper ever from the kayak maybe a 3/4 mile out near some rocks.
I'd love to get into Sierra or skipjack but never have caught one.

No boat license required anymore.
You need a fishing license when fishing from a boat but not from shore. Fishing from a kayak and my jet ski seem to be to be exempt but I am not sure. I buy an annual license for about 50.00 dollars and never worry. If you do go out on a private boat it is a requirement and many folks will not let you fish with them if you don't have one.

Crowbar1

No boat license required anymore.
You need a fishing license when fishing from a boat but not from shore. Fishing from a kayak and my jet ski seem to be to be exempt but I am not sure. I buy an annual license for about 50.00 dollars and never worry. If you do go out on a private boat it is a requirement and many folks will not let you fish with them if you don't have one.
I've heard some people have gone to the municipal building to buy a fishing license and they were basically laughed out of the building. I had called the embassy here in PHX and they directed me to a web site to buy one. It was a broken site.

YumaJames

I've heard some people have gone to the municipal building to buy a fishing license and they were basically laughed out of the building. I had called the embassy here in PHX and they directed me to a web site to buy one. It was a broken site.
Once last year in spring I went to the Municipal building to buy fishing licenses for the guys I brought down fishing and they didn't have any. Been back a couple times since and they've had em. For the last few years the website to buy Mexican fishing licenses has been down.

mondone

Whitecaps
I have used the site before also, but I forget which fishing zone we need to apply for. Which is it?