Cozying Up at the Border

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Well, for the first time in print, I've seen an official "why" we now have checks as we cross south into Mexico. The article below specifically mentions these stops checking for cash and guns. Looks like they'll be around for awhile.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2009/12/08/20091208us-mex1208.html

"The agreement, signed by Napolitano and Agustin Carstens, Mexico's secretary of finance and public credit, was the finalization of a preliminary agreement reached in June. That agreement called in part for increased inspections of vehicles heading south into Mexico to check for drug money and smuggled weapons."

Thanks, Janet. :roll:

Does that mean the Mexicans will ease up on their checks (Green/Red light)? The last time I crossed, there was only one Mexican agent standing around (doing nothing).....:stir:

Terry C

That short one pissed off my wife, she said who in the hell does that dork think he is asking all these questions while the other three fat ones just stand there doing nothing. LOL

Roberto

Well, for the first time in print, I've seen an official "why" we now have checks as we cross south into Mexico. The article below specifically mentions these stops checking for cash and guns. Looks like they'll be around for awhile.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2009/12/08/20091208us-mex1208.html

"The agreement, signed by Napolitano and Agustin Carstens, Mexico's secretary of finance and public credit, was the finalization of a preliminary agreement reached in June. That agreement called in part for increased inspections of vehicles heading south into Mexico to check for drug money and smuggled weapons."

Thanks, Janet. :roll:
That still does not explain under what authority do they ask about the cash. As far as I know it is not illegal to carry a large amount of cash on your person or in your vehicle. In fact if you have guns in your vehicle at that stop, in the legal form and quantity, what can they do about it, other than perhaps notifying the Mexican officials to stop you when you cross.

Kenny

That's all I'm bringing you

That still does not explain under what authority do they ask about the cash. As far as I know it is not illegal to carry a large amount of cash on your person or in your vehicle. In fact if you have guns in your vehicle at that stop, in the legal form and quantity, what can they do about it, other than perhaps notifying the Mexican officials to stop you when you cross.
Dog food Roberto, just dog food! That's all I'm bringing you, and I don't care how "legal" you say it is.:cool:

Last edited:

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Dude... they don't need no stinkin' authority. They ARE the authorities!

When the Director of Homeland Security strikes a deal and inks it with the Mexican government, I assume that IS the authority they are operating under. I asked the same basic question, months ago -- Why in the hell are they spending my tax dollars inspecting me when I leave the country and what gives them the authority to do this?

The article I posted is the first official thing I've seen about these stops going into Mexico. In my opinion (and from what I've seen since this has been going on), we are doing Mexico's job for them. Why not have the Mexicans inspect us before we return to the US? Customs can just waive us on through!

Do they do this when you leave the US going into Canada?? You can bet your sweet bippy they don't.

ernesto

So what are the legalities involved when they stop you in the middle of the road (between Ajo and Gila Bend) and ask where you've been, where you are going, what you do for a living, and what's in your ashtray?

Someone aready posted in another thread that the "authorities" can stop and search you within 100 miles of the border....with no warrant, etc....and this has been upheld by the courts.

I believe (and I'm sure someone like Jerry/Kenny/etc. will correct me if I'm wrong), but you are required to declare if you are leaving the country with $10,000 or more. I don't believe they can prevent you from taking the money out of the country....you just have to declare it.

A

azbeachboy

Someone aready posted in another thread that the "authorities" can stop and search you within 100 miles of the border....with no warrant, etc....and this has been upheld by the courts.

I believe (and I'm sure someone like Jerry/Kenny/etc. will correct me if I'm wrong).
LMAO, Joe!

jerry

I believe (and I'm sure someone like Jerry/Kenny/etc. will correct me if I'm wrong).
LMAO, Joe!
Joe the last time i had 10,000 dollars in front of me was a private poker game on the train from Chicago to Seattle in 1981,It was a monthly event on that run for 50 years until something unfortunate ended it) I started with 500 bucks and by the time we reached Wyoming I was just under 10 grand.When I detrained in Seattle I had 5 bucks left for fish and chips at Ivars!

Roberto

I believe (and I'm sure someone like Jerry/Kenny/etc. will correct me if I'm wrong), but you are required to declare if you are leaving the country with $10,000 or more. I don't believe they can prevent you from taking the money out of the country....you just have to declare it.

I dont know about the leaving the country part. I think you have to declare to Mexico about he cash.

It is a Federal offense not to declare currency or monetary instruments totaling more than $10,000 to a CBP officer upon entry or exit from the U.S. or to conceal it with intent to evade reporting requirements. Failure to declare may result in seizure of the currency and/or arrest.

Anyone either entering or leaving the USA with more than $10,000 (in any combination of currencies, including checks, cash, money orders, etc) has to fill out a form declaring the amount to U.S. Customs. You can take the money with you, you just have to declare it. That has been the law for as far back as I can remember, it's nothing new. If you try to cross without declaring it and get caught, they can confiscate it and even arrest you, etc. for attempted smuggling and gawd knows what else. If you declare $10,000 and they find additional money on you, they can seize everything above the $10,000. I remember reading about an older woman, US citizen, heading into Mexico from the San Diego area who declared $10,000 and after the CBP officers verified that amount, they found she was also carrying a check for over $20,000. They confiscated the check.

At the border crossings into Baja they even have money sniffing dogs to catch people trying to smuggle money in and out, and they catch quite a number of people with more than the limit-- probably mostly illegals trying to take their earnings home. $9,999-- they won't like it but they have to let you go with it. You'd just better not have spare change on you that brings the total up to $10,000.01. :cruisin:

Last edited:

Roberto

La H.
Do you have a reference for that information? Maybe a site where
I can read the details? Gracias.
Money always smells like a woman's purse, in the US at least

JimMcG

Along with these laws, there are the RICO anti rackeeering laws, with the presumption of guilt if a person is carrying large sums of money when pulled over. Louisiana was famous for confiscating money from returning Mexican migrants and blacks to fund their 'office' expenses.

An excerpt from the link provided by playaperro:

Transactions in Excess of $10,000 in Currency

A financial institution and any “nonfinancial trade or business” must file a report concerning a transaction (or series of related transactions) in excess of $10,000 in currency.

• Interim final rules require any nonfinancial trade or business to file currency transaction reports on a Form 8300.
  • CTAs and CPOs fall within the definition of “nonfinancial trade or business” for purposes of currency transaction reporting and thus are subject to the interim final rule.
  • Regulations (31 CFR 103.22) require that financial institutions file currency transaction reports on a Form 104, Currency Transaction Report (CTR). FCMs and IBs are defined as “financial institutions” and thus must file CTRs.
Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR)

The BSA requires each United States person who has a financial interest in, or signature authority over, any financial accounts in a foreign country to file a Form TD F 90-22.1, Report of Foreign and Financial Accounts (FBAR) if the aggregate value of the financial accounts exceeds $10,000 at any time during the calendar year. The term "financial account" includes any commodity interest account. The term "United States person" includes any Commission registrant that is a citizen or resident of the United States, domestic partnership, domestic corporation, or a domestic estate or trust.

International Transportation of Currency or Monetary Instruments (CMIR)

The BSA requires the filing of a Form 105, Report of International Transportation of Currency and Monetary Instruments (CMIR) by any person, such as an FCM, who physically transports, mails, ships, or causes to be physically transported, mailed, or shipped, currency or other monetary instrument in an aggregate amount exceeding $10,000 on any one occasion, whether that transportation is into or out of the United States. A CMIR also must be filed by any person who receives in the United States currency or other monetary instrument in an aggregate amount exceeding $10,000 that has come from outside the United States and on which no CMIR was filed. A CMIR does not need to be filed, however, if the person is a bank or broker-dealer, and the currency or other monetary instrument is mailed or shipped through the postal service or by a common carrier.

Was looking at the Form 105...and it talks about currency or monetary instruments....I wonder if prepaid credit/debit cards fall under that definition? I'm sure that people have regular credit cards that they carry that have an "aggragate" amount exceeding $10K, and it's possible that someone has a debit card with that much in their account.

Last edited: