Crossing 12/30, w/ expired/no passports

C

cactusamigo

Inka - You make a valid point. These conditions exist now for many items. That's why I load up on fruit/vegetables in Mexico before heading north. Cucumbers are just one good example. This week I paid $.89 for just one cucumber here. In Penasco that would buy a kilo! The same price difference applies to Anaheim chilis, tomatillos, tomatoes, limones, asparagus, etc., etc.

Approximately 80% of our winter produce comes from Mexico, mostly from Sinaloa, south of Sonora. Interesting that what one is prohibited from personally importing, can be imported commercially. Commercially imported items are "inspected" and pose no threat! SURE!

Papayas are OK, but not mangos, even though both are grown in the same regions. Something about mangos being a host to some species of fruit fly. Where are mangos grown in the U.S.? I have never seen a domestic mango in any market. Most come from Central America. That specific fruit fly of interest could probably not even survive in our climate! Well, how do you stop something that has wings and can fly?

No matter, protect your butt and don't give the Obama/Napolitano border gestapo an opportunity to make an example out of you. Things have changed very quickly recently with the implementation of outgoing inspection, the government violation of private property rights (Gringo Pass), and handcuffing law abiding citizens as if they were criminals under arrest while their vehicle is being inspected at secondary inspection.

C

cactusamigo

Inka - One thing I forgot to mention in regard to price variability of produce. You can buy a kilo of avocados in Rocky Point for the price that you would pay for one or two avocados in Tucson. However, recently, avocados cost more in Hermosillo than they cost in Tucson. Go figure!

B

brother d

About the passport being flagged...a friend who lives in RP and Phoenix was traveling from Europe last year and was caught with a small amount of sausage (very small) carefully wrapped. His passport was "flagged" at that time and now he has a longer wait at the border each and every time he wants to re-enter the U.S.

jerry

About the passport being flagged...a friend who lives in RP and Phoenix was traveling from Europe last year and was caught with a small amount of sausage (very small) carefully wrapped. His passport was "flagged" at that time and now he has a longer wait at the border each and every time he wants to re-enter the U.S.
Brother d you need to reread the Bro handbook.Commenting on the size of another bros sausage is against the rules.

B

brother d

The represented size of the sausage was a quote from the bro in question therefore I plead innocent on this one. I will tread more lightly in the future though. :)

Although I'm a fairly new poster here I've been a lurker on this site when it started as well as the site prior to this. I find your alls posts, cheapshots and humor very interesting, informative and quite funny at times.

I would like to comment about the last two trips I made down, one was in May of 09 and again the next month, June.

Get this, I drive a F-150 with a hard tonneau cover on the bed, you can't see in without opening the tailgate and lifting the cover up. Anyhow, both times at the border while crossing on the way out I was floored I didn't get asked to move to the secondary inspection area. On the first trip, which would be my wifes first time there I told her in advance we would be sent over to the side to look under the cover, it didn't happen in either trip. Being I've been going to RP since the mid-80's with about a 5 year hiatus, I still knew what to expect. So, both times we don't get secondary screened, and both times when we hit the checkpoint outside of Why, still no looky-looky under the cover. Granted both times they ran the dog around the vehicle, but nothing more. My wife almost called me a liar and I was flabbergasted. I've never done or even thought about doing anything illegal while crossing back to the U.S. but I'm seeing these two passings as what "could have happened". I chalk it up to how I acted or didn't act for that matter when I hit the border...or, the agents where both blind.

Also, when at the border I handed the agent ID's and birth certificates for me, my wife and two sons. The truck I drive is a 4 door and the windows are tinted pretty dark. After I handed over the papers, the agent didn't even try to look past me to see in the back seat to verify 4 occupants. His eyes never left mine. Since my wife was nervous as a wh0re in church when I told her I wanted to take the family to PP, maybe the agents felt sorry for me with mind-reading abilities and knew we were not a problem. So say you???

Last edited:

Kenny

little understated.

Here, let me make you feel right at home.."Although I'm a fairly new poster here" is a little understated, isn't it? Since you've been reading this forum for years,
you made a post.

OK, I hope you feel at home now... In all the years I've been crossing I've never been checked out at all. Never a ice chest opened or anything like that. On both sides I have been asked what my big bazooka pole case is, and when I tell them " you must not fish, that's a fishing pole case" they just go "oh". I also have a Browning backpack type case for my big reels and such, and if it's in sight it always catches their eye on both sides of the border because Browning means gun's to most. Again, I tell them that "it's for fishing gear, it's not a gun case, they make em for fishing gear too". They've just said "oh", and have never looked inside.

"I chalk it up to my how I acted or didn't act for that matter when I hit the border"... I honestly think that has a lot to do with it... I still declare, "I declare I had a really good time", and smile when asked "do you have anything to declare", but I am a little quicker to make a more formal response than in the past, if I get that look...LOL... A positive and open attitude will go a long way's anywhere, even at a border check.

Hope I made you feel at home.

Kenny

Last edited:

Kenny

The Gold wrapper, called especial, is a a blond beer, while silver is a dark.
Always ask for it and sooner or later the establishment will carry it. (mayan has it)

It is considered the best beer in Mexico. RP was monopolized by Corona, but that strangle hold is slowly been broken by the popularity of Bud.

>>>
Bohemia: One of the most popular beers in Mexico and one of the best. Made with Saaz hops, the beer has a malty, fullbodied taste with a hint of vanilla. It’s also more potent at 5.4 percent alcohol by volume.<<<

Here is one for you Kenny :coldone:
Thank you Wahoo... For years I went to go to the back door of the Corona distributor, but it sounds like that if this stuff would have been around then, the higher alcohol content would have been calling me like the siren's from Greek mythology. I would have soon been yelling... Yahoo, Wahoo!

Last edited: