Crossing Fruit - Limones

Oranges, and many other varieties of citrus could never be imported into the US by individuals at border crossings. However, up until recently, limones have been the exception. On a recent trip, my declared limones were confiscated by an agricultural inspector at the Lukeville Port Of Entry. I asked the reason for the change in policy and was told it was due to some disease from China. The ban was stated to be temporary, but it appears to be permanent. This is the first change in allowed fruits and vegetables in many years.

Kenny

What happened to your twin smilin' jack, Jack? Now don't get confused and log in on the wrong computer Jack.:think:

Landshark

I came back last weekend with a bag of limes. They saw them and didn't take them. The USDA Import Guide that they have in the booths when you cross say lemons and limes, with no leaves or stems, are permitted.

As I am in the nursery business I can give you the scoop.
The problem is with a critter that attacks citrus trees. It is called a leaf miner and has been getting in to the USA via a pepper corn from the Schesuan providence in China. Any good chef that does this type of Chinese cooking will tell you are a required pepper. There is a ban on the import of the chilies but it is still coming in. Odds are if you walk into an oriental store, ask for the chilies and are not oriental they will not have any. But if you are oriental they will get it from under the counter for you.
California and Florida have the miner and there seems to be no cure at this time . I knot that for one AZ. has put a citrus import ban into effect.

garyd, landshark - It's hard to know what the real current status is on the importation of limes and lemons at this time. I asked the agricultural inspector for documentation to justiy confiscating my limones, but he had none to give me. The restriction may not yet be covered by the USDA Import Guide, or, as woodspinner states, it may be an AZ state restriction. Federal BCI agents are required to enforce bordering state laws. On a recent trip south, I asked an agent at outgoing inspection about the importation status of limones, and he told me that there is a restriction on all citrus.

If you do an Internet search, there is info about some organism from China that is causing a problem. How it relates to limones from Mexico is unclear.

Citrus is susceptible to certain diseases that pose a domestic economic threat. However, certain diseases are environmentally specific. For example, the quick decline virus affects citrus orchards in California, but does not affect citrus grown in the desert environment of Arizona.

My neighbor in Penasco had a guava tree, susceptible to infection by a certain fruit fly. I spoke to a Mexican agriculture inspector when he came to check the insect trap in the tree. He told me that the fruit fly was not present in the desert environment of Penasco.

Kenny

It seem's that smilin jack, cactus jack, and cactus amigo have been genetically cloned, doesn't it?

HAPPY

User is currently banned
If it's true than it's ~ ~ ~ ABOUT TIME ! ! ! ~ ~ ~ Now the one we ~~~ NEED ~~~ back is ~ ~ ~ Submarine ~ ~ ~ then the ~ ~ ~ PACK WILL BE COMPLETE AGAIN ! ! ! ~ ~ ~

Last edited:
Was that the same comic that always seemed to have a guy with a big belly, button popping off his shirt, and a chicken/rooster catching the button?

WoW! Great research! Memories from my early childhood days reading the Sunday comics at grandmother's house.

By the way, couldn't resist picking up this handle before someone else snapped it up. Sometime back someone mentioned it in a sarcastic post.

Kenny

Sometime back someone mentioned it in a sarcastic post.
I have no idea who that could have been :notme: but here's the deal... We had a guy on here who called himself Catus Amigo, but he sure didn't make very many amigo's on this forum. Then along comes smilin jack who seems to be old Cactus's twin brother by the tone of his post's. Then lo and behold up pops you, Cactus Jack, a pro wrester from truth or consequences New Mexico.

So the question is, what's the real name of the pro wrestler?

I hope that clears things up for ya :wink:

playaperro

El Pirata
I have no idea who that could have been :notme: but here's the deal... We had a guy on here who called himself Catus Amigo, but he sure didn't make very many amigo's on this forum. Then along comes smilin jack who seems to be old Cactus's twin brother by the tone of his post's. Then lo and behold up pops you, Cactus Jack, a pro wrester from truth or consequences New Mexico.

So the question is, what's the real name of the pro wrestler?

I hope that clears things up for ya :wink:[/QUOTE

Matt Foley